Week 11 GDT - Lions (5-4) vs Bears (3-6)

Sugashane

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

That’s good, we can keep on pretending there wasn’t “what’s wrong with Gould?” and “is Gould done?” talk from the time he missed that field goal at Detroit in 2013 up to when he was shanking extra points in 2016 preseason.

This is entirely revisionist (my comments not yours): It certainly doesn’t look good that Gould is 29-31 on FG since leaving and Barth is Barth. Pace has had to make some tough calls on walking away from some vets here when he arrived. Excluding Alshon, who wasn’t going to voluntarily resign here, he’s made the right calls in that regard IMO with all of them except Gould. Credit where due - he’s not gonna bat 1.000. I’m not mad at all that they released Gould when they did. It made sense at the time.

What I am is incredibly frustrated they’ve let the Connor Barth thing continue as long as they have. Keep him all of last year? Fine. We were in the tank last year before we even got started. But there’s no excuse for him not having real competition in camp, either from Phillips or anyone else, and there’s certainly no excuse for him still being on the squad beyond the next 48 hours. Criticism of that is entirely warranted. A solid kicker is even more of s necessity for a team like ours with low margin for error. We play close games almost every week no matter which way they go. 3 points here or there is gigantic in those games. 

I think what I am going to try very hard to do the rest of this stupid season is just be happy that Trubisky is showing us all that even with "limited experience" in college, he is playing decent football on a team that is sorely lacking weapons.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think what I am going to try very hard to do the rest of this stupid season is just be happy that Trubisky is showing us all that even with "limited experience" in college, he is playing decent football on a team that is sorely lacking weapons.

If Trubisky keeps developing this season and it helps him to become the franchise QB we've been missing since the 1940's than nothing else matters, aside from the 4-5 new ulcers we may get watching year 3 of Fox's reign.

1 minute ago, 51to54 said:

If Trubisky keeps developing this season and it helps him to become the franchise QB we've been missing since the 1940's than nothing else matters, aside from the 4-5 new ulcers we may get watching year 3 of Fox's reign.

This was the first Sunday since, I guess, last season where I didn't have any excitement before the game. It was just... meh... let's see how they manage to F this one up.

They didn't disappoint.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

This was the first Sunday since, I guess, last season where I didn't have any excitement before the game. It was just... meh... let's see how they manage to F this one up.

They didn't disappoint.

Yep I felt like the Packers lose really crushed my spirits for the rest of the season. Now that Floyd has a knee injury it's even more disappointing. I'm really only watching now for the rookies we have (Mitch, Adamn, Coehn) and their development. 

I actually really enjoyed the game, and was happy with some aspects of it. 

Bears just signed Santos, so at least they're fixing things. 

Trubisky at the very least has proved to be not-terrible. There's potential and-better yet-growth.  The accuracy is the most concerning negative about his play so far, and it seems reasonable that he can get that back with a little more time.  The snap issue is not surprising. It's cool when he takes off to save a drive. He could be our guy, but I don't think we'll know until next year. Shaheen looked reliable, and I love our RB's. DB's was annoying; after some great games they gave that one up, especially Cooper who was off all game when played.  

I guess overall it was a fun game as it was close between 2 flawed teams. Glad my 2 year old had lots of moments to say "go Bears"

I'm such a meathead I'm going to pick them against the Eagles. 

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

Starting to think we should get a new MLB to the group in  Free agency.  Without Freeman and or Travavthien the bears D looks mediocre and cant stop the run

What are you basing this on? DET has 65 yards rushing all day yesterday

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

His footwork has been atrocious and I think it's impacting his accuracy.

I think this is the biggest issue for him. There was a throw yesterday where he had a clean pocket and didn't step up, and unsurprisingly the ball sailed on his receiver.

19 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I think this is the biggest issue for him. There was a throw yesterday where he had a clean pocket and didn't step up, and unsurprisingly the ball sailed on his receiver.

This is true but I think we are being a little too hard on the kid.  People forget that he only started 13 games in college. His footwork and mechanics will improve over time provided that he gets the proper coaching and protection in front of him. 

Right now he has happy feet and I don't blame him.  The offensive line hasn't been good this season and the receivers have been poor in getting separation up until just a week ago when Inman started his 1st game.

Doesn't help that guys like Wheaton have been in and out of the lineup, so it's hard for Mitch to get good chemistry going.

I see signs of a good player but I sense that some fans are already becoming prematurely impatient with him.  This is a big reason why Chicago can never develop a QB properly.  Let's have a little faith.

Archived