Week 4: VIKINGS (2-1) vs. Saints (1-2)

swede700

On Monday, Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said running back Dalvin Cook  is prepared to try and play with his shoulder injury. But that doesn’t mean he’s practicing, as he was one of a few players who didn’t practice for the Vikings on Wednesday. Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Cook categorized himself as “day-to-day” on Wednesday.

Edge rusher Za’Darius Smith (knee), cornerback Andrew Booth (quad), and fullback C.J. Ham (foot) also did not practice.

Linebacker Eric Kendricks (toe) and safety Harrison Smith (concussion) were both full participants.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/28/dalvin-cook-did-not-practice-on-wednesday/

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said that the plan is for quarterback Jameis Winston to practice on Thursday after sitting out of Wednesday’s session and downplayed the possibility of Winston missing Sunday’s game in London against the Vikings because of the back injury he suffered in Week One.

Winston confirmed that he has no thought of sitting out to heal up. He told reporters that he is “preparing to play” and that he’s “absolutely” confident that he’s the best option at quarterback despite not being totally healthy. Winston said he spent the day working on ways to be as close to 100 percent as he can get.

Winston: “Getting off my feet, being here working, doing rehab, just focusing on the things I need to work on so I can be a better me on Thursday.  I’m rehabbing my hip flexors, my ankles, my back, my entire body. It’s a holistic process. I’m doing everything possible to be the best I can be.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/28/jameis-winston-confident-hes-saints-best-qb-option-despite-back-injury/

11 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Looks like if the Vikings are smart they will throw some blitzes at Winston and let him make bad/risky decisions. The safeties have a chance to have a big day on Sunday.

If Winston plays.  Unfortunately, I have him in a Guillotine League...(I picked him up after @marshpit23 got chopped Week 1) and have waffled on whether to start him.  Right now I'm not because I just can't trust him to play.  Especially with Hill's history of play against the Vikings, I wouldn't blame Allen for just sitting Winston, who only has played the Vikings once in his career (2017 when he was in Tampa) and was 70% passing for 300+ yds but 3 picks in a loss and was really the game that set Keenum on his way the rest of the season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

It looks like Winston didn't practice again today.  We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't count on him playing...it'll probably be Dalton with Hill mixed in...who both have had success against the Vikings in the past.  

Dalton is probably better than Winston tbh

He did a good job against Zimmer defenses. I'm not sure how it'll be against Donatell.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Dalton is probably better than Winston tbh

He did a good job against Zimmer defenses. I'm not sure how it'll be against Donatell.

Dalton has been hit or miss vs. the Vikings.  He did well in 1 of 2 games when he was in Cincinnati...did well when he was in Dallas, not so much when he was in Chicago last year.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which pretty much guarantees that it'll be Dalton starting.

Also, it appears that RG Andrus Peat, who was limited yesterday was also not practicing today, so it's possible that the Saints will be a little shorthanded offensively.  If I recall correctly, it was Peat that got destroyed by Everson and Danielle in that playoff game a few years ago, but I could be wrong.  

Which means expect a lot of passes thrown towards Olave...although with how Dalton plays, maybe not.  His yards per attempt have steadily gone down as his career has progressed...from 8.4 his rookie year to 6.4 last year, so it could be that more passes get thrown to Jarvis Landry and Kamara.

So, double Olave and keep everything in front of you.  Dalton may not be the pick machine that Winston is, but he does throw them quite a bit.  In 8 games last year, he threw 9 picks, and he's thrown 17 in 19 games over the last 2 years...so he's good for at least a pick a game.  

Edited by swede700