Week 4: NY Jets vs PIT Steelers

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I understand and will be the first one on board the "get a great OL" train so don't mistake the rest of this post as not wanting to upgrade the LT spot.  A great OL is the foundation for an offense.  I really do think Fant can be the answer though if he end this year like he played in 2021.  Even at 30 no reason these guys can't play into their mid 30's at a high level.

Listen if Douglas wants to break the bank for Orlando Brown Jr. out in KC next year or a great one falls into our lap in the draft I won't be complaining but Fant was the LT for a top 10 OL last year and that was with poor LG and below average RT play.  With Mitchell and Tomlinson (who I think is finally getting comfortable) there's no reason we can't run a healthy Fant (healthy), Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Mitchell (year 2)out there and be top 5 ish which his plenty good. 

DE is still miles ahead of LT in terms of need as is probably FS, ILB, and maybe even DT.  If healthy I think our OL would be a much better shape then our DL which tells me everything I need to know.  Even though I'm not looking ahead at the draft yet (thankfully) I want a guy who can hit the QB first.

Im with you on everything you said in terms of needs and where to go...we'll see how Fant plays if and when he returns. I want them to keep drafting athletic lineman regardless of what we have. Our needs on D though are very obvious. Only 4 games in so it is tough to say but I can see them letting go of Lawson if he doesn't stand out. Def Mosley at ILB and man do we need some LBs an a FS badly, also agree on DT. I wish we had a big boy there in the worst way. Was disappointed that Foley struggled so much last year because he was a late round hit that struggled his first year in this system and we let walk but that was the kind of DT this D is missing.

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This rotation stuff is out of hand. I'd love to see the numbers on the rotations SF used when Saleh was DC there.

I saw it somewhere and I'm trying to remember what it was but his best DT (Armstead) was in the mid to high 70's I want to say and Bosa was low 80's I think.  Just going off memory though.  Whatever the exact numbers were all of our guys were notably lower.  

The rotations should be

Q (70-75%) / JFM (55-60%) Rankins and Thomas (25-30%) / Shepard (>5%)

Lawson / JJ (60-65%) Huff (40-45%), JFM (10-15%), Martin (>10%), Clemmons (>5%)

Not if my numbers add up but base should be Q and Thomas/Rankins inside with Lawson/JFM/JJ edge

and pass rushing should be Q/JFM inside with Lawson/JJ/Huff

we need less Martin and less Shepard for sure.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Im with you on everything you said in terms of needs and where to go...we'll see how Fant plays if and when he returns. I want them to keep drafting athletic lineman regardless of what we have. Our needs on D though are very obvious. Only 4 games in so it is tough to say but I can see them letting go of Lawson if he doesn't stand out. Def Mosley at ILB and man do we need some LBs an a FS badly, also agree on DT. I wish we had a big boy there in the worst way. Was disappointed that Foley struggled so much last year because he was a late round hit that struggled his first year in this system and we let walk but that was the kind of DT this D is missing.

I don't even care so much for a NT type I want a pocket pusher more so then a space eater.  I really think we have the CBs and hopefully a better coverage FS/ILB to force the QB to hold it for a split second more which create time to generate sacks.  More speed on the edge and inside are good with me.

We'll have to let it play out because I think Douglas agrees with you that he is taking a wait and see approach with Fant just to make sure last year wasn't a fluke.  If he has a down year Douglas may move on or if he plays like 2021 may lock him up for 3-4 years.  Big year for him so hopefully 4 weeks gets him right and he can play well in the second half of the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

We need to incorporate those short throws that are essentially running plays.  We did it a few times with the WR screens which is good but PIT was run blitzing on obvious run plays for us and with our OL in shambles we couldn't overcome.  Way too many 3rd and longs even if some of those were penalty inflicted.

Did we run any RB screens yesterday?  I didn't catch every snap but saw most of them and didn't see any that I can recall.  I felt like we could have used their blitzing aggressiveness against them like that but we didn't.  That is the one play we should see at least one per drive.  Seems like every time I see it from other teams it's going for chunk yards yet it's not even in our playbook.  I do really like MLF's offense though outside of a few questionable calls per game. 

I didn't see the 4th quarter but I don't remember any RB screens, just WR one Zach missed. My guess would be it's because our OL is slow as dirt with all the young guys injured. Doubt they'd even make it to their assignments.