Week 4 Thread: Commanders (1-2) at Cowboys (2-1): 1 PM on FOX (GIF Theme: John Wayne/Clint Eastwood)

MikeT14

50 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gonna be honest with you guys……I feel asleep at the start of the fourth quarter.  Not surprised I woke up an hour later to a game we lost.  

This team has the same talent level as when Rivera got here.  We just re-shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic.  No long-term QB solution, horrible LB corps, mediocre secondary, great OL coach, above average weapons in the passing game.  Literally similar roster construction.  We also lost Kyle Smith in the front office, and I’ve already noticed a stark difference in how we approach the draft.  

Also, getting really tired of the people thinking Robinson is going to make a difference.  This team averaged 5.3 YPC on the ground yesterday.  Old Man Stewart almost had 10 YPC!!!!!  We had 142 yards on the ground compared to 155 through the air (before subtracting for sacks.). The running game is not the problem. 

Yeah but a lot of fans thought losing Kyle Smith wasn’t a big deal. I think it was the beginning of the end of the Rivera regime. He got cocky after the first year and thought he could do it without Kyle. Welp here we are. Maybe if we beg and plead he’ll come back and take over as GM…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gonna be honest with you guys……I feel asleep at the start of the fourth quarter.  Not surprised I woke up an hour later to a game we lost.  

This team has the same talent level as when Rivera got here.  We just re-shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic.  No long-term QB solution, horrible LB corps, mediocre secondary, great OL coach, above average weapons in the passing game.  Literally similar roster construction.  We also lost Kyle Smith in the front office, and I’ve already noticed a stark difference in how we approach the draft.  

Also, getting really tired of the people thinking Robinson is going to make a difference.  This team averaged 5.3 YPC on the ground yesterday.  Old Man Stewart almost had 10 YPC!!!!!  We had 142 yards on the ground compared to 155 through the air (before subtracting for sacks.). The running game is not the problem. 

A lot of those rushing yards were empty yards gained when Dallas was obviously playing back to stop the pass.  When we actually needed to run in the red zone or on 3rd down we couldn’t.  We definitely don’t have an effective running game, and it was pretty eye opening when they inserted a more traditional runner like Williams just how much better the run game looked.  I think that’s why people have high hopes for Robinson.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I haven't read this .. Does any know if Trai Turner was replaced because he's hurt or because he's turned into a bum ? 

Rivera said something about his quad not being ready or not having all its strength back in it but honestly it sounded like an excuse to me.

If Trai Turner wasn’t healthy enough to play, he wouldn’t be playing. He wasn’t good in Pitt last year, that’s why they didn’t keep him. He was a serious downgrade from Scherff obviously. Not retaining or re-signing Flowers so they could sign Turner who was a downgrade.

Ive come to the realization that Trai Turner just isn’t very good anymore. He may have been as a young player in Carolina but that was 4 or 5 years ago.

Saahdiq Charles should start the rest of the way unless they end up starting Cosmi at RG & Lucas at RT which I think should’ve been the plan since they lost Scherff but, they didn’t do it and I don’t think they will.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The only places I’d disagree with this post is “average weapons in the passing game.”

We currently have the most talented group of receiving options this year has had since 2016, and arguably since the Posse w/ the TEs & Ernest Byner out of the backfield in 1991-92. It’s not Terry’s fault that Scotty can’t develop a game plan to make him the focal point. Samuel has proven this year he is what we thought he was when we signed him. Dotson looks like a home run as a pick. Gibby & McKissic are big time reviving options out of the backfield. When targeted, Logan is a good TE & a huge Redzone threat but something isn’t working. Between the OL & Wentz himself being bad in the pocket or just not being the field etc, it’s not currently working but, we have the talent to be getting 300 plus yds a game passing a 2 TDs plus a game passing, it’s just not happening.

Also, I think our young LBs are making progress. The run D has been solid & the last 2 games they haven’t gotten killed in their match ups vs RBs & TEs. I keep hearing that Jamin is playing better, so that’s promising & Holcomb is at worst a jag. The depth behind them sucks though, but I can see a path where these 2 develop into a good LB tandem as the season goes on and into the future.

Outside of that though, I agree.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

A lot of those rushing yards were empty yards gained when Dallas was obviously playing back to stop the pass.  When we actually needed to run in the red zone or on 3rd down we couldn’t.  We definitely don’t have an effective running game, and it was pretty eye opening when they inserted a more traditional runner like Williams just how much better the run game looked.  I think that’s why people have high hopes for Robinson.

They’re doing Antonio Gibson such a disservice playing him at RB. I just can’t help but think he reminds me of Anquan Boldin at receiver. I think he’d be so much better lined up opposite Terry. Just a bummer. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The only places I’d disagree with this post is “average weapons in the passing game.”

We currently have the most talented group of receiving options this year has had since 2016, and arguably since the Posse w/ the TEs & Ernest Byner out of the backfield in 1991-92. It’s not Terry’s fault that Scotty can’t develop a game plan to make him the focal point. Samuel has proven this year he is what we thought he was when we signed him. Dotson looks like a home run as a pick. Gibby & McKissic are big time reviving options out of the backfield. When targeted, Logan is a good TE & a huge Redzone threat but something isn’t working. Between the OL & Wentz himself being bad in the pocket or just not being the field etc, it’s not currently working but, we have the talent to be getting 300 plus yds a game passing a 2 TDs plus a game passing, it’s just not happening.

Also, I think our young LBs are making progress. The run D has been solid & the last 2 games they haven’t gotten killed in their match ups vs RBs & TEs. I keep hearing that Jamin is playing better, so that’s promising & Holcomb is at worst a jag. The depth behind them sucks though, but I can see a path where these 2 develop into a good LB tandem as the season goes on and into the future.

Outside of that though, I agree.

You missed “above average”

Dotson is still a rookie four games into the season, I don’t think you can effectively grade him as a player.  Samuel has to prove he can stay healthy, and Logan Thomas is 30 and coming off knee reconstruction.  You have to see where these guys are at the end of the year, but right now I’m leaning above average.  

Davis is playing better, which is what we wanted to see from him getting snaps to start last year.  But it still doesn’t change the fact that this group of linebackers is plain awful.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You missed “above average”

Dotson is still a rookie four games into the season, I don’t think you can effectively grade him as a player.  Samuel has to prove he can stay healthy, and Logan Thomas is 30 and coming off knee reconstruction.  You have to see where these guys are at the end of the year, but right now I’m leaning above average.  

Davis is playing better, which is what we wanted to see from him getting snaps to start last year.  But it still doesn’t change the fact that this group of linebackers is plain awful.  

I think we have better than “above average” weapons. Terry - if our QB/OC make an effort to get him the ball regularly- is at worst a top 15 QB in the league. Throw in Dotson, Samuel, Gibson & McKissic - not even counting Logan - and that’s better than just “above average.”

The issue is the OL & QB are playing  bottom 10 right now.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think we have better than “above average” weapons. Terry - if our QB/OC make an effort to get him the ball regularly- is at worst a top 15 QB in the league. Throw in Dotson, Samuel, Gibson & McKissic - not even counting Logan - and that’s better than just “above average.”

The issue is the OL & QB are playing  bottom 10 right now.

There are 32 teams in the league.  I don’t think it’s quite a top 10 grouping of offensive skill position players.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are 32 teams in the league.  I don’t think it’s quite a top 10 grouping of offensive skill position players.  

It’d be interesting if we really got to evaluate that but currently we can’t bc of OL injuries & poor FA decisions & Carson not being good enough right now.

400 yards per game on offense certainly seems like our potential if things start clicking but I’m not sure that ever happens.

Edited by turtle28

Had a chance to watch this one on the All-22. Not a ton to love.

As to the OL, the RG position is a big problem. Trai Turner just can’t go anymore, and they rightly benched him. The issue is that Saahdiq Charles isn’t very good either. He’s pretty mobile, and the effort level seems like it’s there, but there’s just no punch or explosion. He run blocks like he pass blocked at OT, basically just trying to mirror and hinder the opposing player — there’s no drive or push, and he gets shed quite readily when the play is right at him. Definitely a below-average OG, and it’s a shame that that’s still a big upgrade on the guy they chose.

Cosmi was better this week, as was Norwell. I thought Cosmi still had some big gaffes, but he didn’t get brutalized like he did against PHI. Norwell feels like a very average LG to me. I think Nick Martin is going to be okay with a bit of time, he held up all right for only having been here a week or so. And Leno is easily the best player on the OL at the moment.

Everyone is on Jonathan Williams, and he did run the ball nicely, but I will say that his big run was the only play where the OL as a whole all basically won. Even on McKissic’s bigger run, he had to banana it way wider than he wanted out of the gate because the interior OL lost almost instantly and got driven back into his lap. I still think Gibson gets a bad rap here (and most places), as he made a lot out of what was there. 

One of the many things that’s frustrating is that we’ve got these WRs, but we can’t find any way to get them the ball. When we spread them out wide, there’s not enough time to get them out in routes and get the ball to them because of the OL (and Wentz). But when we go bigger and pack everything in to get a little more protection, we’re losing the advantage created by having multiple dangerous weapons on the perimeter. I do know that I hate when they bring the WRs in tight to the formation. Dotson and Samuel can’t block in there if you run, and you’re cramping them up and taking away their space if you pass. 

Logan Thomas is still a poor blocker, and Armani Rodgers is an absolutely awful one. That hurts us in a lot of stuff we try to run with the big package. I’d just bag that for now — Rodgers in particular does more harm than good in the run game. It feels like Thomas is getting frustrated with Wentz. He’s a good soldier, but I think he’s probably more attuned to the processing issues and the panicky stuff than lots of guys because of his own QB background. 

Just a side note, it’s disheartening to see what Dallas has in their front 7. Parsons is already better than any defensive player we’ve had since I’ve been aware of the game, he’s absolutely ridiculous. He can do pretty much anything. And I was floored by how impactful Donovan Wilson was for them. They can call him a safety all they want, that man is not a safety anymore. He’s a god damn Buffalo Nickel now, and he was an animal against us in that role. Absolutely killed us. 

• Like 1

On defense, it’s just dreary. We’ve got to accept that for the time being, it’s an average DL at best. Payne and Allen are both good, but neither is great. And they’re playing too many snaps, which is understandable because the other options are John Ridgeway and Efe Obada (who got absolutely killed on the interior). Sweat is badly miscast as a DE1. He has a tough enough time winning when he’s singled up, let alone when he gets any help sent his way. He’s still good for some flash splash plays because he’s such a freak, but he’s just too inconsistent. And the rest of the guys should all be much closer to the waiver wire than the field. 

Holcomb battles, but he is what he is. An okay player. It’s hard to play LB in the NFL these days, and he’s not a true MIKE in any sense, so I give him credit for keeping his head above water.

I think Jamin Davis is making some serious strides, but you still see him getting badly fooled at times. And I think the bigger issue is that his natural instincts just are not great. On the deep ball they hit to Noah Brown, they go PA and keep 7 in to protect (with Zeke and Rush added in, that’s 9 within spitting distance of the LOS). He steps up initially, and then you can see him determine that it’s PA and he immediately stops and drops off into kind of a hook zone within 5 yards of the LOS. Which…isn’t that helpful. Good job that you recognized PA and fell into coverage — but it was a 2-man route, max-protect pass play. They’re not running shallow crossers. Our only shot at stopping that play was for him to basically green dog it and just make a beeline at Rush to disrupt the throw. He had a rush lane to get there. But either they’ve taken all the freelance out of him, or he just never had it to start with. Probably some of both. They hang him out to dry covering these slot receivers (even Lamb lots of times), and on the Curl INT that got called back on Jackson’s penalty, he was split all the way out to the sidelines covering Pollard on a go route. I thought he held up admirably in a lot of those assignments.

Curl is still the best player in the secondary, and you hope they keep working on ways to put him in position to make plays. It’s tough because Forrest should probably also always be on the field — but he and Curl are similarly talented (and limited). Neither one can really play FS and neither one can legitimately cover WRs, so where do you play them in a typical “base”/nickel look? You’d have to pull either St. Juste or Davis off the field. 

Fuller still looks okay, but just way too soft. His lack of long speed got shown up by Noah Brown of all people, so I think that’s probably a clue as to why so soft. WJ3 is a mess right now, and I’m not sure he’s really ever not been a mess with us. You still see flashes of game, made a couple very nice plays, but he also had 3 or 4 plays that were just awful. That we’re spending almost $25M on those two CBs is a big reason the rest of our talent is lacking at the moment. 

• Like 2