Week 4 Thread: Commanders (1-2) at Cowboys (2-1): 1 PM on FOX (GIF Theme: John Wayne/Clint Eastwood)

MikeT14

27 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We’ll wonder if this team will have done some soul searching. I understand the coaching isn’t great but these players aren’t winning their matchups. Players are reaponsible for disguising looks and I’m sorry the team doesn’t do the little things too to bottom on and off the field in practice to compete with teams they should be able to match with. Hopefully we give Dallas a real 4 quarters but this OL and defense and honestly the whole staff need to look in the mirror because there isn’t creativity or alpha on any level on any unit and it’s sad

We will play better and if it’s a cowboys victory with a blowout I’m done.

30 minutes ago, IHatesnyder said:

I really don’t know what evidence there is to say this team will play better? We’ve been on a downhill slide to start this season. My guess is that continues. I also think the players are probably tired of this staff and that’s another major problem. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I really don’t know what evidence there is to say this team will play better? We’ve been on a downhill slide to start this season. My guess is that continues. I also think the players are probably tired of this staff and that’s another major problem. 

I think the D will probably play better vs Dallas than it did vs Philly just bc Cooper Rush isn’t Jalen Hurts & the Cowboys don’t have AJ Brown & DeVonta Smith. I am worried that our OL won’t be able to block Micah Parsons & DeMarcus Lawrence. If our OL can’t do it’s job, nothing matters. We saw that last December too when we played the Cowboys. Our offense was playing pretty well in Nov & we had won 4 straight until Dec when we played the Cowboys.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think the D will probably play better vs Dallas than it did vs Philly just bc Cooper Rush isn’t Jalen Hurts & the Cowboys don’t have AJ Brown & DeVonta Smith. I am worried that our OL won’t be able to block Micah Parsons & DeMarcus Lawrence. If our OL can’t do it’s job, nothing matters. We saw that last December too when we played the Cowboys. Our offense was playing pretty well in Nov & we had won 4 straight until Dec when we played the Cowboys.

The difference is that we ran a lot and fed Mclaurin  more . Turner doesn’t know what to do with the weapons we have on offense against man to man.

Edited by IHatesnyder

8 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

The difference is that we ran a lot and fed Mclaurin  more . Turner doesn’t know what to do with the weapons we have on offense against man to man.

Turner had a terrible game.  I am pretty sure he understands the concepts and how you beat them.  I remember him scheming an ultra focused quick game plan for Haskins before to get him comfortable and the ball out fast so I know he knows how to do it.  

Certainly hard to grasp why Turner didn't adjust by the second half last week as it seemed pretty obvious he had to transition to short passing and running game, but I am not going to declare him a dud after one horrible game.  He has had some real good games too.  He is still a very young coordinator, lets hope this was a abberation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

I’ve said I’m done so many times but I’ve just come to terms with my life and this team. I can’t let them effect my peace. I scout players in highschool and college because it improves my game and it’s what I enjoy. But I just enjoy the good things I see with this team and I just understand what they are when it’s bad. But riding the week too week waves I just can’t. I want to see this team be amazing because this fanbase is starved but I just enjoy football too much to let whatever they do effect me. Personally until they get the proper facilities and a true competent staff from the GM down without any owner interference I’m just here because we’re all family here. I just hope for the talented players we’ve started to bring in something great could happen to build and grow the roster around them and give this fanbase something to be excited about.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Turner had a terrible game.  I am pretty sure he understands the concepts and how you beat them.  I remember him scheming an ultra focused quick game plan for Haskins before to get him comfortable and the ball out fast so I know he knows how to do it.  

Certainly hard to grasp why Turner didn't adjust by the second half last week as it seemed pretty obvious he had to transition to short passing and running game, but I am not going to declare him a dud after one horrible game.  He has had some real good games too.  He is still a very young coordinator, lets hope this was a abberation.

My problem with Turner is even in the Jags game. To use a video game to explain the point I’m making if anyone played NFL streets back in the day when we have momentum and our game breaker is blinking he doesn’t understand these moments and refuses to dial up 3 level passing concepts to make the defense choose and allow the QB to find the player that comes open once the saftey makes his break. Against Jacksonville we had them in the place where you could blow them out. You called 2 perfect drives and had them primed to take a shot and we come out and run a draw for loss a 2nd and long gut run and 3rd and long short pass. It’s about feel and there isn’t any. 

Yes you have 3 Swiss Army knives to carve teams short. But you can’t just call short plays forcing them the ball. If you can’t work 12 yard posts and corners with a slot seam and attempt them even when coverage is close then teams will just keep sitting short swarming your dump and screen game. Wentz is apart of the blame here. On his Thomas INT against Detroit during our comeback he forced a pass to Logan because he refuses to air up long passes because Dotson was gone for 6 if Wentz just moon balls that throw and then it’s a 3 point game and we have scored on 3 drives in a row. I think Wentz has lost his edge as was my feeling about Russ this offseason which was why I was happy we didn’t pay that premium. Sadly I think Ron has put us in a spot where he’s lost the confidence in the locker room. So now if he changes direction again as he has twice a year since being in charge he will just ruin a draft prospect. So unless Howell can develop and come on late if we continue our outdated game feel then we’re just in a position going into next offseason called Purgatory. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

My problem with Turner is even in the Jags game. To use a video game to explain the point I’m making if anyone played NFL streets back in the day when we have momentum and our game breaker is blinking he doesn’t understand these moments and refuses to dial up 3 level passing concepts to make the defense choose and allow the QB to find the player that comes open once the saftey makes his break. Against Jacksonville we had them in the place where you could blow them out. You called 2 perfect drives and had them primed to take a shot and we come out and run a draw for loss a 2nd and long gut run and 3rd and long short pass. It’s about feel and there isn’t any. 

Yes you have 3 Swiss Army knives to carve teams short. But you can’t just call short plays forcing them the ball. If you can’t work 12 yard posts and corners with a slot seam and attempt them even when coverage is close then teams will just keep sitting short swarming your dump and screen game. Wentz is apart of the blame here. On his Thomas INT against Detroit during our comeback he forced a pass to Logan because he refuses to air up long passes because Dotson was gone for 6 if Wentz just moon balls that throw and then it’s a 3 point game and we have scored on 3 drives in a row. I think Wentz has lost his edge as was my feeling about Russ this offseason which was why I was happy we didn’t pay that premium. Sadly I think Ron has put us in a spot where he’s lost the confidence in the locker room. So now if he changes direction again as he has twice a year since being in charge he will just ruin a draft prospect. So unless Howell can develop and come on late if we continue our outdated game feel then we’re just in a position going into next offseason called Purgatory. 

Agree with everything you said.  Wentz needs to be better.  I never expected him to be great, but he is not even playing like a bottom of the top half qb at this point.  Rivera went so all in on Wentz and he might really regret that.  If Wentz doesn't get better, Rivera might lose the locker room.

Turner has to show better feel and he has to figure that out now.  I just think this flows from Ron who is notoriously slow to make a change and they built this offense this offseason around the idea that we have big armed qb with lots of weapons and so we are gonna commit to this downfield passing attack.  I think they are stunned by the lack of oline success as that was the one thing they thought they could count on.  Furthermore, they decided after Robinson got hurt that they were gonna focus even more on the passing game this first 4 weeks.  They absolutely need to wake up and start adjusting now.  To me this game is the season.  I don't see the team recovering from a loss.  0-2 in division and 1-3 would be really hard to overcome.  

By the way I am very worried they commit to running the ball and things go well until old slippery hands puts one on the ground.  That would be a crusher.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agree with everything you said.  Wentz needs to be better.  I never expected him to be great, but he is not even playing like a bottom of the top half qb at this point.  Rivera went so all in on Wentz and he might really regret that.  If Wentz doesn't get better, Rivera might lose the locker room.

Turner has to show better feel and he has to figure that out now.  I just think this flows from Ron who is notoriously slow to make a change and they built this offense this offseason around the idea that we have big armed qb with lots of weapons and so we are gonna commit to this downfield passing attack.  I think they are stunned by the lack of oline success as that was the one thing they thought they could count on.  Furthermore, they decided after Robinson got hurt that they were gonna focus even more on the passing game this first 4 weeks.  They absolutely need to wake up and start adjusting now.  To me this game is the season.  I don't see the team recovering from a loss.  0-2 in division and 1-3 would be really hard to overcome.  

By the way I am very worried they commit to running the ball and things go well until old slippery hands puts one on the ground.  That would be a crusher.

Well Robinson will improve our run game I do believe that. But we lost two All pro level players on the OL then we wonder why we aren’t physical. Our talented DL doesn’t improve because they practice against backup level players across the board really outside of Cosmi who is still learning. It’s def a shame to look around this roster and know we’ve gotten nothing in return for these players who were tough physical talented players. But as far as this game goes nothing I’ve seen from this roster or staff says we won’t look like we did last year watching Taylor run for his life. So we have weapons playing behind a OL that I could care less what ratings or grades say they visually do not match up against defenses with even just one impact defender in their front 7. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re picking top 5 if our trenches on both side continue to look like we’ve consistently looked under Ron. Asleep

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

That’s true