Week 4 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

29 minutes ago, adamq said:

For as doom and gloom as a lot of us are, the markets love this team

They loved us last year as well and at the end were proven right but man it was ugly for a stretch lol.

The team is too talented to be performing like this. Granted, more and more of the talent is getting hurt on a weekly basis but still on paper it is easy to see why the markets love this team. 

Re-watching the Broncos game on the coaches film was even more frustrating. Jimmy does not even let plays develop majority of the time and gets off his reads way too quickly. I mean in a way, his quick release is a God send with this OL but sometimes you have to be patient and go for the jugular. 

Banks is good man, he's looking damn good out there. Can count on one hand the amount of times he had a sub-par rep in both in the pass and run game. Impressive development. 

• Like 3

Have y'all not watched the Rams/Niners games the last few years?

This year could have been different - I think Wagner should help us to slow the run game down. But the coverages we're playing, unless we go back to our gameplan from the NFCCG, which for some reason I have very little faith that we will do, Jimmy will throw 3 TDs.

Our offensive line has been devastated by injuries and we're playing one of the best pass rushes in the league. After they lost. It's going to be ugly.

Just now, FrantikRam said:

This year could have been different - I think Wagner should help us to slow the run game down. But the coverages we're playing, unless we go back to our gameplan from the NFCCG, which for some reason I have very little faith that we will do, Jimmy will throw 3 TDs.

Our offensive line has been devastated by injuries and we're playing one of the best pass rushes in the league. After they lost. It's going to be ugly.

I think it'll be pretty low scoring affair offensively. The general public I don't think will be happy with the game lol. 

Our offense is broken right now unless it really is rust for Jimmy and he shakes it off. I don't know which it is yet. I think both QBs are going to hate life lol. 

I just trust Stafford / Kupp to make more plays than the 49ers offense at this juncture, especially without Trent Williams in there. The 49ers are really going to have to do that 13 play, 12 run drive crap they pulled last year in the first game lol 

24 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I mean Trent Williams just got hurt and will be out for at least four weeks. The rest of the OL is questionable at best. Oh yeah, we lost Elijah Mitchell, by far our best and most explosive back. Armstead has plantar fasciitis and may not play and even if he does, like I mentioned earlier, he will be compromised. We have a QB that was already bad at reading the field and is now telling the world he is rusty and not in rhythm.

Trust me, I rather be where your Rams are at than where we are right now lol. 

I expect this game to be a tight, low scoring affair. It will come down to which QB makes the big turnover and my money is on Jimmy G! 

Congrats on starting the season 3-1 and all but clinching the division the first month of the season! 

12 hours ago, John232 said:

That was more directed at @straighthate. Agree with him though that you could easily go back not just last year, but 2018 pre injury and see similar stuff. It’s funny, but also a hard Groundhog Day scenario too. 

Wasn’t meant to be a gotcha moment. Was just kinda funny. We all go into the season fired up, then the sky falls, then we all recover after a couple good games. What it is to be a niner fan. 

• Like 3

On the offense after a rewatch. Shanahan doesn't get to 8 ypa and positive offensive efficiency by getting a bunch of 7 to ten yard plays. He tends to have a bunch of 1 and 2 yard plays where the defense is keyed in on what he is doing and some absolute bombs where he turns the defense on its head. Denver played with a bunch of heavy looks where they responded to Deebo with a linebacker and blitzed every screen coming heavily downhill. And on the back end, Shanahan had them dead to rights several times and schematically had the pass rush taken care of only to have the play fail anyways. There was a fake Deebo screen with double gos that had the defense toasted with both Kittle and Jennings open for bombs. The ball wasn't perfect due to pressure, Jennings bobbled the ball and we did some dumb stuff and wasted a drive. They got Deebo on a Texas route where we just couldn't handle blitz pickup properly. The ball wasn't perfect and wasn't even completed. We got Deebo on an extremely slow linebacker type down the sideline out of the backfield for a TD. Jimmy completed it, but a TD turned into a drive stall. All of these and a couple of others died. Some because Jaylon Moore was an absolute atrocity for the series or two he was in. Some because Jimmy just isn't good at certain things. Some because Juice is a tiny fullback against a big linebacker and Spencer Burford struggled with some complicated stunt and blitz looks. But the home runs were there for the taking and within Jimmy's ability to execute.

This wasn't a failure to identify passing wins sort of game (outside of the interception and the absurdly aggressive playcall that resulted in the safety - both of those were ones where I think a lot of bad was going to happen either way because the scheme was not appropriate to either the defense or the situation). This was a bad Jimmy game, sure, but I don't think that you can undersell the amount of offensive productivity that got axed because of terrible pass protection. Misidentifications, fanning out to the wrong guy, being Jaylon Moore against Randy Gregory. And the "Shanahan's playcalling is noticably worse" angle for me doesn't register with the information I got. This wasn't like a Bears game last year where there is no separation anywhere and no hope. The scheme had big plays available. Now, there were two absolute duds in there and Jimmy compounded them to kill the game. And trying to target Aiyuk against good corners as your matchup beating tool against man coverages and cover 3 mable should stop. We have a George Kittle. But still. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

On the offense after a rewatch. Shanahan doesn't get to 8 ypa and positive offensive efficiency by getting a bunch of 7 to ten yard plays. He tends to have a bunch of 1 and 2 yard plays where the defense is keyed in on what he is doing and some absolute bombs where he turns the defense on its head. Denver played with a bunch of heavy looks where they responded to Deebo with a linebacker and blitzed every screen coming heavily downhill. And on the back end, Shanahan had them dead to rights several times and schematically had the pass rush taken care of only to have the play fail anyways. There was a fake Deebo screen with double gos that had the defense toasted with both Kittle and Jennings open for bombs. The ball wasn't perfect due to pressure, Jennings bobbled the ball and we did some dumb stuff and wasted a drive. They got Deebo on a Texas route where we just couldn't handle blitz pickup properly. The ball wasn't perfect and wasn't even completed. We got Deebo on an extremely slow linebacker type down the sideline out of the backfield for a TD. Jimmy completed it, but a TD turned into a drive stall. All of these and a couple of others died. Some because Jaylon Moore was an absolute atrocity for the series or two he was in. Some because Jimmy just isn't good at certain things. Some because Juice is a tiny fullback against a big linebacker and Spencer Burford struggled with some complicated stunt and blitz looks. But the home runs were there for the taking and within Jimmy's ability to execute.

This wasn't a failure to identify passing wins sort of game (outside of the interception and the absurdly aggressive playcall that resulted in the safety - both of those were ones where I think a lot of bad was going to happen either way because the scheme was not appropriate to either the defense or the situation). This was a bad Jimmy game, sure, but I don't think that you can undersell the amount of offensive productivity that got axed because of terrible pass protection. Misidentifications, fanning out to the wrong guy, being Jaylon Moore against Randy Gregory. And the "Shanahan's playcalling is noticably worse" angle for me doesn't register with the information I got. This wasn't like a Bears game last year where there is no separation anywhere and no hope. The scheme had big plays available. Now, there were two absolute duds in there and Jimmy compounded them to kill the game. And trying to target Aiyuk against good corners as your matchup beating tool against man coverages and cover 3 mable should stop. We have a George Kittle. But still. 

Good post but Aiyuk was open on two plays that would have gone for 15-20 yards had Jimmy thrown better balls. The way the defenses defend this offense with him at QB, it's still going to matter unless he takes advantage of his opportunities down the field. That is the one thing available, mainly due to defenses not thinking he is capable of making those throws. From the 2nd half of the Seahawks game to the game against the Broncos, the offense was ugly due to the heavy fronts this OL saw and the inability to convert on 3rd downs. Until this changes, the offense is not going to all of a sudden start playing like it did in 2019 or in the 2nd half of 2021 before the playoffs. 

On 9/28/2022 at 6:24 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

The odds are just significantly against Purdy. Like what 7th round QB ends up having even an average career? While Jimmy has his limitations, he was still a late 2nd round pick. Purdy was essentially an UDFA. QB is the one position where you have to be drafted in the top three rounds....Just have to unless you are someone like Brady lol.

Make a list of the top 15 QBs and the only ones not drafted in the first three rounds are who...Brady and Dak? That's the list right there and we are to believe someone drafted in the late 7th round will make it in this league as an average starter? Eh........

Funny enough, there are probably more quarterbacks taken after the 7th round (when there were more than 7 rounds) or undrafted that have had notable careers. 7th round itself is hard to think of. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Anyway, I'm picking the 49ers to beat the Rams 30 to 20, and get back on track. 

I think after a week of squawking, the team will be fired up to get the W. Well the offense especially. This is still a talented roster. 

You are a brave man predicting this team to score 30 points but I hope you are right! 

• Like 1

Alright, after a few days of sleeping over the embarrassing loss to the Broncos, I have come around and am now expecting a win lol. I just feel like our front is going to be able to bring pressure with four and they will prevent big plays and force Stafford to two INTs. Jimmy G is not going to do much but Shanny will find ways to get Deebo in space and let him go to work. Expecting over 100+ total yards from Deebo and one big play from Kittle. That could be enough to win.

Changing my prediction to:

49ers 20

Rams 16

• Like 2

Who do you guys think would be the ideal guy to cover Cupp in the slot this week?  Jimmy Ward is probably my first choice, with Gibson staying at FS.  I don't know if Verrett can play inside, but either he, or kicking one of the starters in would be my second choice.  Lenior and Womack are both good young players, but Cupp is a hard draw, and I am not sure if either guy is ready to play at that level yet.

7 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Who do you guys think would be the ideal guy to cover Cupp in the slot this week?  Jimmy Ward is probably my first choice, with Gibson staying at FS.  I don't know if Verrett can play inside, but either he, or kicking one of the starters in would be my second choice.  Lenior and Womack are both good young players, but Cupp is a hard draw, and I am not sure if either guy is ready to play at that level yet.

Womack would be the guy I would use on Kupp in man coverage. He's extremely sticky and has good instincts. IF Ward was healthy, I wouldn't have mind seeing him get some time on Kupp as he has had success against him in the past (mixed results last season). Verrett would be interesting but we really haven't seen him play in the slot like that. 

Womack with one of the safeties shading over the top while leaving Moseley and Ward in single coverage would be my game plan against the Rams.