Week 4 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

Johnson got targeted four times in the week 18 match up against Kupp and allowed 4 catches for 68 yards. Why is this man the way he is? I thought he loves using stats or is that just when it helps his argument? 

Like come on, Kupp killed us in week 18 and in the CC. No need to make it seem like Johnson or Dennard were containing him. 

Lenoir should not see much single coverage against Kupp. If he does, he will get cooked like the rest of the DBs in this league. Kupp and Stafford are a lethal combination going up against ANY defense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Johnson got targeted four times in the week 18 match up against Kupp and allowed 4 catches for 68 yards. Why is this man the way he is? I thought he loves using stats or is that just when it helps his argument? 

Like come on, Kupp killed us in week 18 and in the CC. No need to make it seem like Johnson or Dennard were containing him. 

Lenoir should not see much single coverage against Kupp. If he does, he will get cooked like the rest of the DBs in this league. Kupp and Stafford are a lethal combination going up against ANY defense. 

I feel like Cupp is going to get some yards, no matter who we cover him with, or how we cover him.  Lenior looks quicker and more dynamic than Womack, but Womack's consistency is impressive for a rookie.  I was concerned about depth at NB coming into the year, but Lenior has shored that up.  

Where I think the 9ers are in much better position from last year is with all of the other matchups.  The Rams probably have their weakest skill set guys around Cupp that we have seen(from a sean McVay team), so at least we can win the match-ups across the rest of the board.  I think either of the starting corners or Verett could man up any non-Cupp pass catcher for the rams.   I think our pass rush does well this game to help take the pressure of the dudes guarding Cupp.  

I like the 49ers chances to win this one, but as we have seen, the 49ers are capable of beating themselves on any given week.

35 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I feel like Cupp is going to get some yards, no matter who we cover him with, or how we cover him.  Lenior looks quicker and more dynamic than Womack, but Womack's consistency is impressive for a rookie.  I was concerned about depth at NB coming into the year, but Lenior has shored that up.  

Where I think the 9ers are in much better position from last year is with all of the other matchups.  The Rams probably have their weakest skill set guys around Cupp that we have seen(from a sean McVay team), so at least we can win the match-ups across the rest of the board.  I think either of the starting corners or Verett could man up any non-Cupp pass catcher for the rams.   I think our pass rush does well this game to help take the pressure of the dudes guarding Cupp.  

I like the 49ers chances to win this one, but as we have seen, the 49ers are capable of beating themselves on any given week.

I don't agree that Lenoir looks more dynamic than Womack. Opposite for me. Lenoir was flying around to the ball against Denver and that was good to see but Womack is a different level of playmaker and is better in coverage. Womack had two impressive INTs in preseason and a very nice PBU while getting a FF in limited action last week. I have no idea why this staff would put someone like that on the bench. Some players just find the ball and Womack is one of those players. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Never understand how teams have not yet figure out a way to do some sort of bracket coverage on a slot receiver lol. So weird. Just because he's in the slot doesn't mean that you can't double him up lol 

Just now, Forge said:

Never understand how teams have not yet figure out a way to do some sort of bracket coverage on a slot receiver lol. So weird. Just because he's in the slot doesn't mean that you can't double him up lol 

It seems like it would be easy enough to disguise, too. If you have the slot corner in hard outside leverage watching outbreakers, either a safety or a linebacker could perform a double without having to line up in too much of an obvious way. I think a giant chunk of it is the sheer amount of zone and pattern matching zone coverages - the slot receiver is the player that often routes across multiple zones and finds places where a matcher has already had to go with another player. So you get some gnarly matchup problems where linebackers and safeties are carrying Kupp everywhere. That's not to say he doesn't cook man coverage - he absolutely does. But option 1a is always going to be the former. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Only way this defense was going to take a big step back was from injuries. Now we may potentially be out BOTH Armstead and Kinlaw? Smh, but when did Gray get hurt? Must have been in practice because I don't recall seeing him in the game lol.

Gray is another one of those guys who will likely perpetually always be nicked up in some regard. I'm pretty sure he has hammy issues as soon as we drafted him and missed time in ota 

Kinlaw should probably never be expected to play a full season.