The Oline

MKnight82

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So the guy we cut Ereck Flowers for for benched for Saddiq Charles. This is how well Rivera is doing as GM. 

What is really frustrating is that Turner has looked bad before this game, yet it takes another game of failures before they make a switch.  Do they not see this in practice at this point?  

Charles could have been worse especially because I think he has been more on the left side this year.  Schweitzer needs to come back and play RG.  Charles maybe should take Norwells spot.  Or get lucas on the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

What is really frustrating is that Turner has looked bad before this game, yet it takes another game of failures before they make a switch.  Do they not see this in practice at this point?  

Charles could have been worse especially because I think he has been more on the left side this year.  Schweitzer needs to come back and play RG.  Charles maybe should take Norwells spot.  Or get lucas on the field.

I think the OL got better after Turner was benched, but it still wasn’t great. They need to figure out something for sure.

Roullier out for the season (started a thread on that), Cosmi might miss a couple weeks, and Turner was replaced on Sunday either due to injury or ineffectiveness.  

Injuries never help, and we had some last year, but what’s changed so much on the line?  Was Scherff, who was always on the injury report, really that kind of a difference-maker?

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Roullier out for the season (started a thread on that), Cosmi might miss a couple weeks, and Turner was replaced on Sunday either due to injury or ineffectiveness.  

Injuries never help, and we had some last year, but what’s changed so much on the line?  Was Scherff, who was always on the injury report, really that kind of a difference-maker?

Heinicke, arm deficiencies aside, is more mobile. It does help. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Heinicke, arm deficiencies aside, is more mobile. It does help. 

Agreed, Heinicke has better pocket presence, has better mobility & knows the offense better. He’ll also force feed Terry the ball which will help with that. Heinicke obviously isn’t a good starter, but if Wentz doesn’t improve his pocket presence & getting the ball out faster turning to Heinicke may be a better option.

I sure wish we could combine the best attributes of Wentz w/ Heinicke, if we could we’d have a pro bowl QB but we can’t. We can’t make Heinicke 6’5 w/ a rocket arm & we can’t give Wentz Heinicke’s competitiveness, pocket presence, mobility, leadership & moxy.

Maybe, just maybe Howell will to develop into a stronger armed Heinicke in this offense by next year or we’ll draft a QB if we have a top 10 pick & that player will be our answer. I have some hope for either of those 2 things to happen. Howell has an NFL arm, despite being the size of Heinicke. He just needs to get better on his accuracy and then I think he’d be a good starter.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I know, I just find it hard to believe that a guard is somehow that integral to the team’s success.  

I mentioned when he was a young(er) player that the reason they bumped him inside to RG was that he solidified that position and helped RT at the same time. So if they put him at RT and he did a solid 8 (out of 10) but whomever they put in at RG was only a 6/10...if they slide him to RG and he makes that a 9/10 and because he's there the guy they have to play RT can play at a 7/10 or 8/10, then it is better for the OL overall.

Math aside, I think he made Moses a better player just by working alongside him. Easier for the RT to do his job if he knows the gap is covered if he makes a mistake. At least that is my uneducated view of how they determined he would play G instead of T. And why we miss him now. 

Fun fact. Jacksonville has given up 1.5 sacks a game (*) . Washington? 4.3

Is this a result of adding Scherff along with other good players (getting him some OL help this draft and FA)? IMHO, yes.

(*) They are tied for 5th with 3 teams but they have essentially posted the 3rd best sack/game score as 3 teams tied for 2nd with 1.3 and then 3 teams tied at 1.5 for 5th

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mentioned when he was a young(er) player that the reason they bumped him inside to RG was that he solidified that position and helped RT at the same time. So if they put him at RT and he did a solid 8 (out of 10) but whomever they put in at RG was only a 6/10...if they slide him to RG and he makes that a 9/10 and because he's there the guy they have to play RT can play at a 7/10 or 8/10, then it is better for the OL overall.

Math aside, I think he made Moses a better player just by working alongside him. Easier for the RT to do his job if he knows the gap is covered if he makes a mistake. At least that is my uneducated view of how they determined he would play G instead of T. And why we miss him now. 

Fun fact. Jacksonville has given up 1.5 sacks a game (*) . Washington? 4.3

Is this a result of adding Scherff along with other good players (getting him some OL help this draft and FA)? IMHO, yes.

(*) They are tied for 5th with 3 teams but they have essentially posted the 3rd best sack/game score as 3 teams tied for 2nd with 1.3 and then 3 teams tied at 1.5 for 5th

Had me until the sacks mention. There’s obviously a difference in mobility & pocket presence between Trevor Lawrence & Carson Wentz.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Had me until the sacks mention. There’s obviously a difference in mobility & pocket presence between Trevor Lawrence & Carson Wentz.

Correct. But not 3 sacks a game worth. You've watched the games. The 9 sack performance for the Iggles, at most 4 sacks were on Carson. The other 5 were on the line. 

Not discounting what you're saying. I'm simply saying their investment in their line is paying off. Our lack of investment is also "paying off"

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. But not 3 sacks a game worth. You've watched the games. The 9 sack performance for the Iggles, at most 4 sacks were on Carson. The other 5 were on the line. 

Not discounting what you're saying. I'm simply saying their investment in their line is paying off. Our lack of investment is also "paying off"

After Roullier was hurt & in the game where his back up center suffered a concussion, Wes S. 

Correct?

How do you plan in investments for your starting & back up center getting hurt in back to back games? 

The greatest issue is Trai Turner, but if Saahdiq Charles continues to develop & play well at RG, that won’t be as big of an issue as it was with Turner in there.

Edited by turtle28