Week 4 GDT: Bears @ Giants, 10/2/22, 12:00 CT

beardown3231

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Giants are not a good football team.   Neither are Bears.

Who knows?  Winnable game that can go either way.   Both have injuries.   Seems Bears have more significant ones.   I'd give Giants an edge at home as I would be reluctant to pick Bears until Justin Fields gains some positive confidence.

He seems like he is in his own head too much at moment.  

Our schedule this year is shaping up a lot easier than last year I will say.

First 12 weeks looks like a cakewalk (ATM of course) for a good team, especially if Dak is still hampered. I definitely expected several of the teams we will be playing to be performing better. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think fans would feel much better if Fields could somehow manage to get 3-4 passing TDs.  A win on top would just be icing.  It would be like Mitch against the Bucs in 2018.

At this point I would settle for a 2 TD game with 0 INTs and 1 sack. Just show there is a crispness to the offense. When Getsy came in I thought there would be more timing in effect. More levels concepts, Kmet and Monty/Herbert being targeted heavily when the top 2-3 options that are intermediate/deep aren't open on that 3rd or 5th step, etc. For having 7 years in GB overal and 3 years under LaFleur you would imagine he picked up the importance of taking the safe options AFTER the bigger chunks aren't readily available. Combine that with the taskmaster Eberflus supposedly is and I thought the offense would at least look professional, even if untalented. 

Only 1/4 of the season in though, and in his first stint as a real OC. So it is too early for me to write him off entirely. As long as I can see progression through the season I won't complain too much on non-Sundays. lol 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

At this point I would settle for a 2 TD game with 0 INTs and 1 sack. Just show there is a crispness to the offense. When Getsy came in I thought there would be more timing in effect. More levels concepts, Kmet and Monty/Herbert being targeted heavily when the top 2-3 options that are intermediate/deep aren't open on that 3rd or 5th step, etc. For having 7 years in GB overal and 3 years under LaFleur you would imagine he picked up the importance of taking the safe options AFTER the bigger chunks aren't readily available. Combine that with the taskmaster Eberflus supposedly is and I thought the offense would at least look professional, even if untalented. 

Only 1/4 of the season in though, and in his first stint as a real OC. So it is too early for me to write him off entirely. As long as I can see progression through the season I won't complain too much on non-Sundays. lol 

I think I mentioned this before the season but one of the things I was worried about with Getsy was him trying to bring over the same style of offense he saw in GB, and while it may sound good in theory, we don't have nearly the same personal to pull it off on consistent basis like they did.  I was worried about him running too many 5-7 step drops with long developing plays and not having a good enough OL to protect Fields long enough, or enough speed at WR to get the 3rd level on time. Mooney is really the only ideal one we have in the entire WR room.  Hopefully this will get better with Velus back in the lineup but I'm not expecting too much right away since it may take a while for him and Fields to build a rapport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think I mentioned this before the season but one of the things I was worried about with Getsy was him trying to bring over the same style of offense he saw in GB, and while it may sound good in theory, we don't have nearly the same personal to pull it off on consistent basis like they did.  I was worried about him running too many 5-7 step drops with long developing plays and not having a good enough OL to protect Fields long enough, or enough speed at WR to get the 3rd level on time. Mooney is really the only ideal one we have in the entire WR room.  Hopefully this will get better with Velus back in the lineup but I'm not expecting too much right away since it may take a while for him and Fields to build a rapport.

And while I am fine with being aggressive in the passing game it is a major gamble to try and put both Jones and Borom on an island. Jones is doing well enough IMO and Borom has been inconsistent but expecting those two to hold up for long periods without chipping (maybe it is more frequent than I remember but I don't remember many TE chips) is unfair to them. This becomes and even bigger issue when Mustipher is getting pushed into Fields' lap. 

Even if we do try GB's offense with this roster it NEEDS to have more quick options and dump offs. IDGAF if it is two reads and then a dump off, get the ball out and take consistent yards if you need. We are running like hell anyway, who cares if the 4.5 yards is from a pass or run if you keep Fields upright and you face a lot of 3rd and shorts? You can still take your shots. 

Speaking of shots, I want to see more hard counts. Rodgers has made a killing off just getting offsides and trying for a huge gain. Even if you can't get people to jump if you get them on their heels it will help the running game and may help our young OTs get that extra split second to set up. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

And while I am fine with being aggressive in the passing game it is a major gamble to try and put both Jones and Borom on an island. Jones is doing well enough IMO and Borom has been inconsistent but expecting those two to hold up for long periods without chipping (maybe it is more frequent than I remember but I don't remember many TE chips) is unfair to them. This becomes and even bigger issue when Mustipher is getting pushed into Fields' lap.

Bears are giving the OL a lot of help. A lot of plays have 6 or 7 guys in protection. It’s part of the reason Kmet and Montgomery/Herbert haven’t been involved in the passing game.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:
3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Bears are giving the OL a lot of help. A lot of plays have 6 or 7 guys in protection. It’s part of the reason Kmet and Montgomery/Herbert haven’t been involved in the passing game.

I could be wrong but I think it's been a mix of in-between chip blocks and leaving Fields in 5 protect.  I have to go back and rewatch the last 2 games a little bit closer but I know for fact in the 1st game against SF the OL did get alot of help.  I only counted 3 pass plays throughout the entire game where the TEs or RBs didn't stay in to atleast chip block before taking off on designed routes to possibly give Fields a short level blanket. However, I do feel like I've seen more 5 man protect in these last 2 games. 

But maybe I'm wrong.  Again, I need to go back and watch and chart the amount of plays. Maybe I should that this week after the Giants game and before the All-22 is released for the game and I get distracted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Gotcha. I haven't bothered to rewatch anything but live so I'm clearly missing a lot of the details. Appreciate the correction.  

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I could be wrong but I think it's been a mix of in-between chip blocks and leaving Fields in 5 protect.  I have to go back and rewatch the last 2 games a little bit closer but I know for fact in the 1st game against SF the OL did get alot of help.  I only counted 3 pass plays throughout the entire game where the TEs or RBs didn't stay in to atleast chip block before taking off on designed routes to possibly give Fields a short level blanket. However, I do feel like I've seen more 5 man protect in these last 2 games. 

But maybe I'm wrong.  Again, I need to go back and watch and chart the amount of plays. Maybe I should that this week after the Giants game and before the All-22 is released for the game and I get distracted. 

First game I wouldn't even consider in the stats just because the weather was going to force their hand with playcalling. If they walked into that monsoon and nothing changed... then damn. Lol

I don't have anything to base it off of but live play. Maybe I'll be a "better fan" later but atm I'm not sure. Lately i found how awesome lazy Sundays are. 👌 

• Like 1