A great mental exercise for us to stay off the 480 bridge

mkk

Every year i suffer as all of you do and sit down with a fresh legal pad and try to make sense off what has happened and what we need to fix our team. 

I first look at what players will be starters in year 3 from this date moving forward.

LT-THOMAS-2020 LAST YEAR AS A 1ST BALLOT HALL OF FAME PLAYER.

LG-BITONIO

C- TBD

RG-ZEITLER

RT-COLEMAN OR TBD

WR-TBD

WR-TBD

TE-NJOKU IF HE CAN STOP THE DROPS AND LEARN TO BLOCK A LITTLE.

RB-TBD

QB-TBD KIZER IS AWFUL

WR-TBD

3RD DOWN BACK-JOHNSON

DE-OGBAH

DT-SHELTON

DT-OGUNJOBI

DE-GARRETT

LB-KIRKSEY

MLB-TBD?

LB-COLLINS

CB-TBD

SS-PEPPERS ?

FS-TBD

CB-TAYLOR AS A 2ND CORNER

NICKEL-BODDY CALHOUN

P-TBD

PK-GONZALEZ

PLAYERS TO CUT.

BRITT-FIRE EVERYONE WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA.

POSSIBLE TRADE OPTIONS:

SHELTON-LOVE THE RUN DEFENSE BUT ZERO ON THE PASS RUSH

C.COLEMAN-YOU DON'T TAKE A SLOT RECEIVER IN THE 1ST ROUND WHO IS ALSO BRITTLE

GORDON-UNLESS GREG LITTLE IS DEPORTED AND HE FINDS JESUS IN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES. PACKAGE WITH SOMEONE AND TRADE ASAP

KIZER-ANALYTICS GAVE US THIS T.O. MACHINE??

AREA'S OF NEED MOVING FORWARD:

QB-FOR ME THIS YEAR ITS ROSEN WITH A REAL HEAD COACH AND HE IS NOT THE O.C.

WR-2-4 PLAYERS. START WITH RIDLEY AND AT LEAST 1 MORE DRAFT PICK THIS YEAR.

FS-FITZPATRICK WOULD BE GREAT WITH OUR PASS RUSH IF ALL ARE HEALTHY AND LET PEPPERS PLAY CLOSER TO LINE OF SCRIMMAGE TO MAKE RUN DEFENSE EVEN BETTER.

CB- A #1 CB LIKE LATTIMORE

LT-TREY ADAMS IF HE DROPPED INTO 2ND AND WE COULD RED-SHIRT HIM. OR SOMEONE LIKE GREG LITTLE FROM OLE MISS IN 2019. IF YOU DON'T THINK WE SHOULD PLAN AHEAD JUST REMEMBER 2006 BEFORE J.T.

OC-BILLY PRICE CAN PLAY CENTER AND GUARD AT A HIGH LEVEL.

OF COURSE WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO FIX ALL ISSUES OVERNIGHT BUT WE CHECK A FEW BOXES OFF OUR TO DO LIST ASAP WITH SOME LUCK AND A GREAT GM AND HC.

Welcome to the forum.  I'll say this was a bit tedious of a way to read & the title is a bit click-bait'y.  Maybe be clearer that this is your 2018 mock & off-season.  Now to the material, most of it will be agreed upon by most.  I personally love Corey Coleman & see him as a long-term starter.  Yes, he's had injuries both years, but some of it seems fluke'ish.  He's solid enough to hold up as a slot.  I also think he's very good and has a spot cemented in going forward.  I'm curious about trading Shelton next year, as he'll be coming up on a contract year & may or may not be a perfect fit in Gregg's scheme.  We also have Ogunjobi & Brantley, both who may be able to start side by side.   I like your draft picks & agree that we should grab an o-lineman in the first two rounds.  Center has been a weakness this year & would be fine trying Tretter at RT & drafting Billy Price to play center.

NO NEED TO TYPE LIKE THIS. :P

Why would we consider trading Shelton? He's a huge reason why we have had a great run defense. I don't care that he offers little in terms of rushing the passer.

I also like Coleman and hope he's here long term. He just needs to stay healthy.

Danny Shelton has been a big time surprise for me. I didn't like it when we drafted him, but he's been money for our run defense.

Cut Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, and DeShone Kizer? Slow down buddy. Especially on Corey Coleman.

Also, I consider Derrick Kindred to be part of our young nucleus. I don't want him to leave and I expect him to be a big part of the Browns for the forseeable future.

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Danny Shelton has been a big time surprise for me. I didn't like it when we drafted him, but he's been money for our run defense.

Cut Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, and DeShone Kizer? Slow down buddy. Especially on Corey Coleman.

Also, I consider Derrick Kindred to be part of our young nucleus. I don't want him to leave and I expect him to be a big part of the Browns for the forseeable future.

Kindred is horrific in pass coverage. He is essentially a SS who excels by playing in the box.

Bad news is that we drafted Peppers to be that guy and since Kindred is so bad in coverage, we are forced to play Peppers out of position since we dont have a true FS on the team.

He will be a fine rotational 3rd safety similar to what Nassib is for the DEs but Kindred is in no way a starter after this season as long as Peppers is on this team.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Kindred is horrific in pass coverage. He is essentially a SS who excels by playing in the box.

Bad news is that we drafted Peppers to be that guy and since Kindred is so bad in coverage, we are forced to play Peppers out of position since we dont have a true FS on the team

We have 2 strong safeties right now. I'm not giving up on Peppers at FS. We just need to keep him closer to the LOS if we're going to do that. Or blitz him more. It's not his fault we can't cover a skinny post. He's 30 yards off the ball and the WR's are cutting the seam between the LB's and the FS. I think we have our 2 safeties for a long time in Kindred and Peppers. Peppers was closer to the LOS today and he had a good game. I'm not worried about finding a FS. Freaking Ed Reed wouldn't be able to help us at FS when their alignment is in a different area code.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We have 2 strong safeties right now. I'm not giving up on Peppers at FS. We just need to keep him closer to the LOS if we're going to do that. Or blitz him more. It's not his fault we can't cover a skinny post. He's 30 yards off the ball and the WR's are cutting the seam between the LB's and the FS. I think we have our 2 safeties for a long time in Kindred and Peppers. Peppers was closer to the LOS today and he had a good game. I'm not worried about finding a FS. Freaking Ed Reed wouldn't be able to help us at FS when their alignment is in a different area code.

You should give up on him as a FS. The ENTIRE reason Peppers was considered a 1st round talent/pick was because of his ability to make plays around the LOS at Michigan. Michigan mostly lined him up as a OLB who was responsible for blitzing, covering TEs and hammering RBs that try to bust it outside. 

Unfortunatly, we never play him in the actual freaking position that made him a 1st round talent. We stick him in the parking lot, when he has never played FS, and you never hear his name called on defense because hes never around the play close to the line.

The only time you hear his name called on broadcast is the 2-3 times a game the other team tries a deep ball and hes trying to run over to break it up. Which in 10 games, I have yet to remember seeing him make any 'wow' plays in the secondary. No big pass break ups, no interceptions, nothing. You almost forget he is even on the team thats how little you hear his name called.

I only wanted to cut Britt. Coleman,Kizer,Gordon and possibly Shelton as trade options.

Coleman-is a slot receiver and nothing more..

kizer-turnover machine and horrible accuracy.

Gordon-dumpster fire and unreliable.

Shelton-great versus run. trade only if contract extension becomes to rich or needed to complete deal in our favor to improve team as a whole.

sorry about the caps earlier. was not yelling.

1 hour ago, mkk said:

I only wanted to cut Britt. Coleman,Kizer,Gordon and possibly Shelton as trade options.

Coleman-is a slot receiver and nothing more..

kizer-turnover machine and horrible accuracy.

Gordon-dumpster fire and unreliable.

Shelton-great versus run. trade only if contract extension becomes to rich or needed to complete deal in our favor to improve team as a whole.

sorry about the caps earlier. was not yelling.

What???

Coleman had a damned solid game today, and against the best secondary in the league all after missing 8 games.  Saying Coleman is anything at all right now is premature.

Kizer is 21.  21 years old.  Only Cleveland fans want to cut a 21 year old qb because he's not ready to play....

Gordon has been a dumpster fire, no argument there, but why trade him and "sell low"? Let's see what he's got.  He costs very little next season and is still our most talented WR.

Coleman- stats for the 15th pick overall. see whats in front of you on the field..

REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2017 Regular Season 12 24 142 11.8 23 1 9 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 45 98 555 12.3 58 4 26 2 10 5.0 9 0 0

Kizer was inaccurate in college and still the same. a thrower not a pitcher to use a baseball term. he was picked to get us the 1st pick again...

if you want to change the culture as they keep telling us. they need to reach down and see if they have a set and make big boy decisions about Gordon.

21 minutes ago, mkk said:

Coleman- stats for the 15th pick overall. see whats in front of you on the field..

REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2017 Regular Season 12 24 142 11.8 23 1 9 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Career 45 98 555 12.3 58 4 26 2 10 5.0 9 0 0

Kizer was inaccurate in college and still the same. a thrower not a pitcher to use a baseball term. he was picked to get us the 1st pick again...

if you want to change the culture as they keep telling us. they need to reach down and see if they have a set and make big boy decisions about Gordon.

Coleman has been injured (freak injuries) and has played with 7 QB's in 2 years. What do you expect his stats to look like?

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Antonio Brown, but he could still prove to be a very decent starting WR.

Im not sure how cutting Gordon changes the culture, he hasn't been in the building for 12 months before and they seemed to lose just fine without him.

Gordon =entitlement and a lack of commitment to character. i want players who can give up weed long enough to make millions of dollars playing a game god gave you the talent to be great. i also demand that the front office leaders actually lead people.

Coleman-we will agree to disagree on the slot wr.

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You should give up on him as a FS. The ENTIRE reason Peppers was considered a 1st round talent/pick was because of his ability to make plays around the LOS at Michigan. Michigan mostly lined him up as a OLB who was responsible for blitzing, covering TEs and hammering RBs that try to bust it outside. 

Unfortunatly, we never play him in the actual freaking position that made him a 1st round talent. We stick him in the parking lot, when he has never played FS, and you never hear his name called on defense because hes never around the play close to the line.

The only time you hear his name called on broadcast is the 2-3 times a game the other team tries a deep ball and hes trying to run over to break it up. Which in 10 games, I have yet to remember seeing him make any 'wow' plays in the secondary. No big pass break ups, no interceptions, nothing. You almost forget he is even on the team thats how little you hear his name called.

This. For the most part I've liked Williams' scheme, but I've hated the way he has used Peppers. Maybe this year will help him become more well rounded as a safety, but his strengths are obviously playing close to the LOS. He did make a good play yesterday to break up a pass, and that was a play where he wasn't 25-30 yards away from the action.

Kindred is good in run defense and blitzing, but has sucked in coverage thus far. I see him being a good backup, but probably nothing more.

Anyway, as for Coleman... it's way too early to judge him. Like @LETSGOBROWNIES said, he's had two freak injuries and has had some awful QBs throwing him the ball. But there's no denying that he has shown a ton of flashes, and he was giving one of the best defenses in the league trouble yesterday. He just needs to stay healthy and be more consistent. If he can, I think he has the potential to be one of the best #2 receivers in the league.

Archived