Favorite takeout food.

Charles

I live in small town USA where the only "chain" that's allowed is a Subway.

1. The local pizza place is fantastic. They also have made to order hot sandwiches/subs and 2-3 Italian dinner options. The breadsticks are as good as any that I've ever had.

2. The local Mexican place is average, but the owner is as good of a guy as you'll ever meet in your life.

3. The local soft serve ice cream place has found a way to somehow have the greatest fried mushrooms and mozzarella sticks of all time.

I try to support the local small businesses, and the other takeout place I will go to is about 15 minutes away in the town next door. It's got fantastic Crab Rangoon and General Tso's chicken, and it's also locally owned.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 5:04 AM, Charles said:

Man you have a pretty eclectic appetite. 

It's arguably one of the benefits of living in Houston - you can develop a pallet for just about anything here. There's this Jamaican restaurant a few minutes away from me that people have been telling me about, with jerk pork ribs that are apparently better than any other food ever made.

That's right next to a complex that sells African food every Wednesday and Thursday (what they do there the other days is beyond me).

That's next to a BBQ place that I've been to before, with one of the better BBQ Baked potato I've ever had (not THE best, mind you. The best is from this little breakfast nook/diner in Stafford, a suburb of Houston).

On 10/3/2022 at 5:04 AM, Charles said:

We don't really have a huge variety of cuisine here, especially Asian.  Mediterranean restaurants here are either chain type restaurants or just not that good.

If you ever have a chance to get out to Houston, I'll take you on a foodie tour. 😀

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:26 AM, ET80 said:

I know I have a few more, I’ll come back with additional ones.

- Brenda's Taqueria, the barbacoa tacos and a bowl of Posole with pork. So, full disclosure; I don't take this out, so to speak. I either order it from DoorDash or my wife and I go in after our Saturday workout (completely counterproductive to a 40 minute stairmaster and full ab workout, but hey... I ain't judging). The barbacoa tacos are juicy and fatty, perfectly shredded up and served on warm and slightly crisped flour tortillas (or corn tortillas, depends on my mood). The star of the show has got to be the pork posole; Big tender chunks of pork tenderloin, a spicy and greasy broth (beef broth) and homily. Garnish with onions and cilantro, then dip corn (or flour) tortillas in it while slurping that goodness down...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's arguably one of the benefits of living in Houston - you can develop a pallet for just about anything here. There's this Jamaican restaurant a few minutes away from me that people have been telling me about, with jerk pork ribs that are apparently better than any other food ever made.

It's not Jamaican, but if they have doubles, get you some doubles.  Fried dough with curry channa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's not Jamaican, but if they have doubles, get you some doubles.  Fried dough with curry channa.

I have a neighbor who has been looking for this - I don't know where to get it, but he's basically describing something a lot like a samosa (and samosas are basically manna from heaven, stuffed with potatoes and chickpeas).

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I have a neighbor who has been looking for this - I don't know where to get it, but he's basically describing something a lot like a samosa (and samosas are basically manna from heaven, stuffed with potatoes and chickpeas).

Doubles aren't very similar to samosas IMO.  They're a flat, fried bread with the curry on top.  They're Trini, but a lot of Jamaican places have food from other Caribbean places thrown in too.  Maybe your neighbor is from a place where they call something else doubles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Doubles aren't very similar to samosas IMO.  They're a flat, fried bread with the curry on top.  They're Trini, but a lot of Jamaican places have food from other Caribbean places thrown in too.  Maybe your neighbor is from a place where they call something else doubles.

Well I always interpreted what he described as a samosa, so maybe it's me...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's right next to a complex that sells African food every Wednesday and Thursday (what they do there the other days is beyond me).

That's next to a BBQ place that I've been to before, with one of the better BBQ Baked potato I've ever had (not THE best, mind you. The best is from this little breakfast nook/diner in Stafford, a suburb of Houston).

If you ever have a chance to get out to Houston, I'll take you on a foodie tour. 😀

Enjoyed the selection down there, I fly down to Houston or NOLA when I visit my sister. Great food both places.
I'd love some recommendations, only downside of Houston is the no-zoning thing has everything all over the place.
I was trying to recommend places to a friend and they were nowhere near each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Enjoyed the selection down there, I fly down to Houston or NOLA when I visit my sister. Great food both places.
I'd love some recommendations, only downside of Houston is the no-zoning thing has everything all over the place.
I was trying to recommend places to a friend and they were nowhere near each other.

If you let me know what part of town you're staying at (the Heights, Downtown, Galleria area, Rice Village, etc) I can come up with some recommendations close-ish to you.

(the foodie tour is always available to you, too!)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I try to support the local small businesses, and the other takeout place I will go to is about 15 minutes away in the town next door. It's got fantastic Crab Rangoon and General Tso's chicken, and it's also locally owned.

My go to Chinese order. Been switching the rice for lomein lately . Cant believe I've missed out on those noodles for this long lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GHARMON9 said:

My go to Chinese order. Been switching the rice for lomein lately . Cant believe I've missed out on those noodles for this long lol.

I'm going to make a mental note on lomein to see if they offer it. My kids LOVE the sweet and sour chicken (and sauce obviously). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

a well made Reuben is an excellent sandwich.

I'd argue it's the best sandwich, tbh. To this day, I'm convinced a Reuben from Parkway's in New Orleans is the greatest single food item in the universe.

If aliens visit this planet, it's for a Parkway's Reuben.

• Like 1