GDT - Week 4 - Happy Zappe

Hunter2_1

vs GB  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the greater total?

• Packers win margin
    • Patriots points scored

28 minutes ago, m haynes said:

So far I haven't seen much at LT however there is not much film on them so far.  That's why Skoronski sticks out he's a definite possibility. High choice.

This is just off the top of my head. I have to look at Geogia OL in the NFL. Two come to mind is Wynn and NYG Thomas. Big disappointments in the NFL. Geogia is a predominate run team maybe the OL players are not good pass protectors? Not sure but its a thought.  I tend to look at the program when I look at the draft. EX OL = BC, Mich.

True, I was thinking Georgia primarily because of their history. Wynn and Andrews were from Georgia... I'm pretty sure they had at least one other prominent guy in the last 10 years from Georgia too. 

Michigan would be another obvious one (Onwenu and Stueber in recent drafts), but I haven't watched any Michigan this year and haven't heard anything about any OL coming out for them this year. 

28 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Two good points.  Sign Onwenu that way he not upset if they move him around.

IMO it was a major mistake moving Wynn to RT when he's on the last year of his contract.

1) They may not have resigned him yet because they may need to move him around in the future. This reminds me a bit of Trent Brown, the reports that he wasn't happy that he got signed as a RT then moved to LT. I would imagine a RT makes more money than a RG, maybe they want to decide where he will be first? Or the more likely thing is that they somehow aren't sold on him .. like if they really want to switch to outside zone predominately they need to replace him because he's a mauler not a mover. I think that would be a mistake though, Billy Yates and MattyP combo has actually done well with the OL.. they are getting better every week and you can make this group work. All you need is a replacement for Wynn next year and you're good. They need to keep some continuity with the OL, Trent Brown is only 29 .. you can keep him for another 2-4 years and still be ok. You just need to make sure to keep drafting mid round backups who have potential to take his job. I don't necessarily think spending a 1st round pick on LT when you have so many other needs is a good idea. A motivated Trent Brown is a top 10 LT. 

2) I think they specifically moved Wynn BECAUSE he didn't care. Something happened, this never happens.. guys don't "give up" on contract years. He should be dominating to get a big contract but he hasn't. The Patriots wanted him to dominate too.. that way they could get a 3rd round comp pick.. but they will be lucky to get any comp picks at this point. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I don't necessarily think spending a 1st round pick on LT when you have so many other needs is a good idea.

I go the other way.  I always draft draft a LT over any (need) position other than QB. I consider LT the 2nd most important position on a team.

Pats situation is a strange one. Brown contract doesn't match his skill level. I understand there are other factors such desire and injuries however if he plays and finish out his contract he could be looking for big money. I want another guy on the roster. He plays RT than move him to LT keep the cost down or he's great insurance with Browns history.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I think they specifically moved Wynn BECAUSE he didn't care. Something happened, this never happens.. guys don't "give up" on contract years.

IMO We live in a different world. You would think that however this is most likely the 1st time he was, lets say, demoted and he got peed and said screw them.  You would think he would ball out but his heads in the way!  EX smoker knows he has to quit but continues to light up. Basically killing himself.

ADDED  So far I'm seeing that this draft is loaded on the DL and especially Edge/LB. The most important positions of need for the Pats.  Early favorites 

Bryan Bresee, Interior Defensive Lineman Clemson Remind me of Big C

Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia. Love his tape and he versatile, excellent athlete and has speed to burn 4.5 forty!!!

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I go the other way.  I always draft draft a LT over any (need) position other than QB. I consider LT the 2nd most important position on a team.

Pats situation is a strange one. Brown contract doesn't match his skill level. I understand there are other factors such desire and injuries however if he plays and finish out his contract he could be looking for big money. I want another guy on the roster. He plays RT than move him to LT keep the cost down or he's great insurance with Browns history.

If they didn't have a LT then I would agree. 

I think the best course of action would be to extend Trent Brown after this season. He plays great, you reward him with some money upfront and give him an incentive laden deal which brings him until he's 32-33 and you're set at the position. They are in a unique position where he doesn't want to go anywhere else, give him some money and lock up the position. Then you can spend mid round picks on his backup / potential replacement over the next few years. Unless of course an amazingly talented guy falls to you and you've got no choice but the take the BPA. 

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

ADDED  So far I'm seeing that this draft is loaded on the DL and especially Edge/LB. The most important positions of need for the Pats.  Early favorites 

Bryan Bresee, Interior Defensive Lineman Clemson Remind me of Big C

Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia. Love his tape and he versatile, excellent athlete and has speed to burn 4.5 forty!!!

Put someone of similar talent level to Barmore next to him and you've instantly got a dominant defense. Spending a 1st on DL/Edge makes all the sense in the world to me. A loaded draft means you may be able to get a guy who would usually go top 10 at 20 and that's what they need right now. 

46 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

If they didn't have a LT then I would agree. 

I think the best course of action would be to extend Trent Brown after this season. He plays great, you reward him with some money upfront and give him an incentive laden deal which brings him until he's 32-33 and you're set at the position. They are in a unique position where he doesn't want to go anywhere else, give him some money and lock up the position. Then you can spend mid round picks on his backup / potential replacement over the next few years. Unless of course an amazingly talented guy falls to you and you've got no choice but the take the BPA. 

Put someone of similar talent level to Barmore next to him and you've instantly got a dominant defense. Spending a 1st on DL/Edge makes all the sense in the world to me. A loaded draft means you may be able to get a guy who would usually go top 10 at 20 and that's what they need right now. 

Add to that, there's what, a 100 1st RD QB's this year!!!!!!!  Another Parson drop 2023 😁🙏

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I really like him. Farmer strong. I personally predict he's a top 10 pick come April though

Agreed, anyone who is seen as a top 25 guy in October ( assuming they don't fall off a cliff) is going to end up skyrocketing up boards come the draft. 

Last year for example, I remember a time when people talked about drafting a LT in the first round.. then all of a sudden 3 go in the top 10 and you've got nobody worth a 1st round pick anymore. Even a guy like Penning who is an athlete, but raw ends up going top 20. Even 2-3 OG in the top 20 was crazy. Basically what i'm trying to say is teams with garbage OL are going to want elite guys in the top 20, allowing teams like the Patriots who already have top 10 OL talent can hunt for developmental guys day2/3. 

The first round for the Patriots seems to be a need round. 

2022 - Cole Strange ( they had no options at LG going into the draft) 

2021 - Mac Jones ( they had no options at QB going into the draft) 

2020 - traded out 

2019 - N'Keal Harry ( they were a dumpster fire at WR) 

Decide what the biggest hole is on the team by the end of the season and it seems like a guarantee they will take their favorite guy at that position ( or trade back to get the highest guy at that position at a better draft slot). Unless Trent Brown falls off a cliff I highly doubt LT is the largest issue on the team. 

- Lawrence Guy is 32 and could fall off a cliff any second. DL is loaded too so you'll get a much better DL RD1 than OT

- LB is a mess .. like legit mess.. so you either need better OL talent or elite LB talent

- McCourty is nearly 40 .. who is the FS of the future? Jon Jones? Jalen Mills? Myles Bryant? You don't have a good replacement when he retires after this year. This draft has day 1 replacements, but lots of depth so seems like a day 2 need imo

- RT is bad, sure, but this will depend on what they think of Andrew Stueber / Hines / Onwenu /etc. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

allowing teams like the Patriots who already have top 10 OL talent can hunt for developmental guys day2/3. 

This would be a great scenario. The QBs and OL take up most of the top picks and the Pats are sitting there with multiple D front seven choices. Draft loaded with Edge players and there are several DL with 1st rd grades. Perfect!!

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

This draft has day 1 replacements, but lots of depth so seems like a day 2 need imo

This is the safety I like Jalen Catalon. Fast and knows how to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2SBRI8OTo