BDL 2022 Week 4- Gotham Gashlayers @ Greenland Polar Bears

Scoundrel

Who Wins  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

• Gotham Gashlayers
    • Greenland Polar Bears

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 3

Match:  Gotham Gashslayers @ Greenland Polar Bears

Away Owner: @Daniel

Home Owner:  @Pickle Rick

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Gotham

QB – Jacoby Brissett
RB – Clyde Edwards-Helaire
WR – Tyreek Hill
WR – Tee Higgins
WR – Christian Kirk
TE – Juwan Johnson
LT – Jake Matthews
LG – Laken Tomlinson
C – Lucas Patrick
RG – Shaq Mason
RT – Taylor Moton

RB – Jeff Wilson
WR – Alec Pierce
WR – Laviska Shenault
WR – Jalen Reagor
TE – Adam Trautman
OT – Jack Conklin
OL – Cody Whitehair

RE – Shaq Barrett
DT – Chris Jones
DT – Shelby Harris
LE – Demarcus Lawrence
WLB – Jamin Davis
MLB – Malik Harrison
SLB – Germaine Pratt
CB – Xavien Howard
CB – Ahmad Gardner
S – Tre'von Moehrig
S – Darnell Savage

Edge – Chandler Jones
Edge – Arnold Ebiketie
Int – Fletcher Cox
Int – Perrion Winfrey
LB – Brian Asamoah
CB – Tyson Campbell
CB – Rock Ya-Sin
S – Terrell Edmunds

Greenland

QB: Marcus Mariota
RB: Saquon Barkley
WR1: Stefon Diggs
WR2: Ceedee Lamb
WR3: Chris Godwin (Q)
TE1: Tyler Higbee
LT: Christian Darrisaw
LG: Trey Smith
😄 Ryan Kelly
RG: Kenyon Green ®
RT: Cam Robinson

Bench: 

WR4: Julio Jones (Q)
WR5: Christian Watson ® 
RB2: Cam Akers
W6/RB3: Antonio Gibson
G3/T3: Aaron Banks
C2: Tyler Biadasz 
TE2: Cole Kmet

Defense Base formation 3-4 Cover 3 Man Hybrid

LDE: JJ Watt (Q)
DT: Deforest Buckner (Q)
RDE: Travon Walker ®

WOLB: Robert Quinn (Q)
MLB1: Lavonte David
MLB2: Roquan Smith 
SOLB: Von Miller

CB1: Marahon Lattimore 
CB2: Stephon Gilmore
SS: Nasir Adderley
FS: Jordan Poyer (Q)

Bench:

DL3: JPP
DL4: Jordan Elliott
OLB3: Drake Jackson ®
LB3: Foyesade Oluokun
LB4: Devin Lloyd ®
CB3: Jeff Okudah
CB4: Tariq Woolen ®
CB5: Patrick Peterson

Gotham

Game plan for offense is to have a balanced pass and run game, but flexibility with both.  Lots of QB options that allow Brissett to use his legs, and to let CEH use his catch ability to try to catch the opposing defense overcommitting.  We'll have to keep an eye on Von Miller and possibly line up additional OLs at TEs if keeping him out of our backfield becomes a big problem, since we won't be able to double cover both him and Buckner.  Keeping the pocket clean for as long as possible is the name of the game.

On defense, we scheme for a dime package regularly.  Make the QB hold the ball as long as possible, and get our pass rushers to hit home.  Lots of zone coverage for DBs and LBs, keeping them near the LOS for QB runs.

Greenland 

polar-patroller-polar-bear.gif

Motivation: 

Win it for Tua

tua-tua-tagovailoa.gif

Offensive Formations: 3WR/1TE/1RB (40%), 2WR/2TE/1RB (30%), 4WR/1RB (20 %), 1WR/2TE/2RB (10%)

Offensive Tempo: very slow and methodical offense.  We want to snap the ball late in the clock and control the time of possession through our offense

Designed Playcall Distribution: 35% Slow Mesh RPO, 40% pass, 20% playaction, 5% run

TLDR: Expose the middle linebackers and safeties for Gotham using a heavy dose of slow mesh rpo with heavy routes across the middle.  The slow mesh will allow Mariota extra time to read the defense and decide between run, pass or keep.  Watson will get involved with some end arounds and quick screens.  In the passing game, plenty of plays with multiple options deep to force decisions by the safeties and clear out for the middle/underneath routes as the backup.  

Slow Mesh RPO:  We want to take advantage of Mariota's skillset in this game and will do this by using a ton of slow mesh rpo's.  The slow mesh rpo is definitely unique and different from a traditional rpo.  The mesh point between the rb and qb is much slower with almost a pause, forcing the linebackers and safeties to make a decision to attack the line and defend the run or stay back in coverage.  Mariota can then decide to give, pass, or keep the ball giving us the advantage on those plays.  When Mariota gives, the runs start up the middle but the back will read the d and decide to either stay inside or to break outside.  On the pass, Mariota is mostly coming to the middle of the field with the ball, deep if the safety(ies) bite on the run or the mid tier if the linebackers bite.  If the ends sell out to clog the middle, Mariota will be pulling it and going for the run outside.  

Running game: Our running game this week will be run almost exclusively out of the slow mesh rpo (see above).  We want Barkley to see a heavy workload while being spelled by Akers and Gibson.  Watson is back this week and we want to get him a handful of runs via end arounds and reverses.   He will also be used as a decoy on occasion.  

Passing game:  This week we are scouting our team and playing to its strengths.  We want Mariota to do what he does best and that is working the middle of the field and deep.  We want to get Godwin and Julio working in layers with Diggs and Lamb taking the higher level and outside routes.  The goal of our passing game will be to challenge their linebackers and safeties.  Working off of them as our focal point should help in the running game as well.   Gibson is turning into a great pass catcher, from the backfield and the slot position.  We want to have Gibson move all over in the formations and get plenty of looks, especially on third downs.  We want Gibson to get a number of touches in space to use his size and speed to keep ahead of the chains.  Early in the game we also want to get Barkley involved in the passing game in order to keep the pressure on Gotham's linebackers.  Touch passes, quick screens, and end arounds should keep the d honest and the chains moving as well.  Our goal with Mariota is to get him pre snap reads so he will have less to read after the snap.  Lots of motion from the WR's, TE's and RB's will get Mariota the information he needs.  

First series of the game: we want to establish the slow mesh RPO

Defense Base Formation: 3-4 Cover 3 Man Hybrid

Pass Coverage: We went full on mlb scout for this game and will be attacking Gotham based on the scouting report that was generated.  This week we want to take advantage of Brissett's weaknesses and not play to his strengths.  Brissett has been  good against the blitz when he has played, so we will not be blitzing much if at all this game. We also want to force Brissett to throw the ball outside the numbers where he was ranked last in the NFL in week 1 of this season irl.  Last season Brissett was 35th out of 40 QB's when throwing outside the numbers, this is a pattern for him.  To force the throws where we want them we will be using a healthy mix of our Cover 3 Man Hybrid, Cover 2 Man and Cover 6 Zone, we want to clog the middle full of bodies.  The 2nd objective is to limit the big play capabilities of Tyreke Hill.  Keeping a safety over top when we plan man (Cover 2 Man) and in zone should curtail any deep balls to Hill and help force the inaccurate throws we want Brissett making.  

Info on Brissett: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor.com/2022/09/17/ny-jets-jacoby-brissett-browns/amp/

Cover 6 Zone

3-4_defense_cover_6_zone.jpg

Cover 2 Man

3-4_defense_cover_2_man_medium.jpg

Cover 3 Man Hybrid

alabamacoverages_thumb.gif

Pass Rush: This week we to target Shaq Mason in the passing game to get us pressure on Brisset.  We want to overload  his side of the line on 3rd and long leaving just 1 edge rusher to the other side.  We will run various stunts and twists to keep the pressure coming from various spots on the line and keep Gotham from checking to a run.  Walker won't only play just on the inside, as our d line rotation will see some meatier guys rotate in and out to keep everyone fresh. With Travon Walker being one of the interior rushers we feel there will be a number of miscommunication and missed assignments allowing a great rush on the inside to compliment our stellar edge rushers coming from the outside. 

Run Defense:  Gotham will probably want to get to the edge with their RB's which is why we like our 3-4 alignment with Travon Walker playing all over, it gets speed and playmakers onto the field to shut down that game before they can get it started.   We are also focusing on getting up field to disrupt things before their running backs get moving.  Causing missed assignments and blocks is also key so we will be working our stunts and twists into the running game as well

Defensive rotation and formations notes:  we have DT, edge, LB, and DB depth to rotate in and keep everyone well rested.  As for formations, even though our base and dominate formation will be 3-4, we do want to sprinkle in some 4-4, 4-3, and nickle when warranted.  

I actually think this slow mesh thing with Mariota is a great idea, and does exactly what he wants it to do against Gotham's only real defensive weakness in my mind. 

Probably two of the best secondaries in the league too, went with Greenland.

I think both teams came out here with a really good game plan I think both teams are obviously in a pickle no pun intended with with the quarterback position, They both got good play out of those positions, I think this one is a really competitive game.

This is another one I'm going to have to come back to

The scintillating Mariota-Brissett duel we were all hoping to see in BDL this season.

I like what the home team is doing with a ball-control offense. It's the smart play here. I do question the insistence on playing Travon Walker as a 3-4 base end, as he isn't a good fit there and I don't think playing *some* snaps there IRL means he could do it as a regular thing.

2 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Did Gotham throw in the towel with the gameplan? I feel they could have had a good chance at this one had I seen some idea on what they want to do. 

I think it's more about it being Daniel's 1st actual game plan in the league So my guess is hes still trying to get acclimated on how and how the game plans really work and he was kind of thrown into the fire on short notice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I think it's more about it being Daniel's 1st actual game plan in the league So my guess is hes still trying to get acclimated on how and how the game plans really work and he was kind of thrown into the fire on short notice.

Lesson learned if it wasn't. I'll give a deeper reason why I voted against him later. The gameplan wasn't not there, it was just with little meat on the bones. It has the makings or some good ideas with a bit more time to get into it.

• Like 1

Despite the shortness of the game plan for Gotham I do get somewhat of a feel for what they want to do.

However the thing I keep coming back too mentally too mentally is that Xavien Howard was not healthy.

I think it's realistic to assume at some point in this game Campbell would take over. But how many big plays would Howard give up before that happens, And does having to make that happen significantly hurt the corner back depth Gotham has.

I feel like Gotham just cannot take catch a break this season. They decided to give Trey Lance another another shot Mac Jones has a good week and Trey Lance gets hurt. Then they go to Mac Jones and he gets hurt. Then they pick up Jacoby brassett and somebody significant on defense gets hurt.

I don't think there's anybody here that's gonna argue that I that a healthy Gotham is isn't a really good team, Because we all know that they are. But if string of bad luck is really hurting them and I and I feel like it hurts them again today unfortunately I think it is their doom. Having said that I do think they would keep this game close. 21-17 Greenland

Even with Tua and other players down Greenland is a tough and talented team. Gotham has a hampered Xavien and the plan is very general. The slow mesh is a fun installment and Greenland is always pulling something interesting out. Greenland gets the win at home. I look forward to what concepts they throw at me next week.