Week 5: Giants @ Packers - Football is coming home (9.30 ET)

Brit Pack

5 hours ago, 15412 said:

I'll say again, if Love had played this game instead of Rodgers and every play went down exactly the same way fans would be saying Love doesn't have it and he never will have it.  Bust.

I disagree. I think for Love it would have been promising. It wasn't a totally garbage game...it was garbage at the worst moments. 

But this is not the Rodgers we've seen the last two seasons anymore.

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I disagree. I think for Love it would have been promising. It wasn't a totally garbage game...it was garbage at the worst moments. 

You'd hope a $50 million QB would make inexperienced receivers look better than they are, but he cannot teach them how to run a route right.

24 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I don't think Rodgers has been the same since he broke his collarbone. It's like sometimes his arm "catches" or something. Then he throws an off-target weird pass. No more threading the needle for him and he knows it. He seems to wait for someone to come wide open, or he throws the ball away, or takes a sack. 

I’ve got a hundred problems with MLF right now. Him hating being in London isn’t one of them.

Either Norm is right and the NFL is random, in which case we’ll beat Buffalo, or this team has got a major malfunction that has more to do with execution than talent. This situation seems different than other Packer teams that started slow or played down to lower talent in frustrating losses. They seem like a fractured, fissured bunch of separated, uncoordinated, directionless disestablishmentarianists.

Probably because Matt LeFleuer hates London. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

51 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

You'd hope a $50 million QB would make inexperienced receivers look better than they are, but he cannot teach them how to run a route right.

You'd also hope that QB would make a better read in 4th and 2 and give the ball to Dillon on a run up the middle, yet here we are...

• Like 2

2nd half defense:

11 plays   56 yards   7:03 TOP   FG

15 plays   91 yards   8:07 TOP   TD

6 plays   60 yards   3:34 TOP   TD

2nd Qtr last Drive:

11 plays   86 yards   6:10 TOP   TD

While the offense failed to convert anything in the 2nd half and was pretty brutal, this was somewhat to be expected based on the roster turnover.

The defense is a complete failure of scheme and execution for a team that really had more investment on the defensive side of the football.   No real injury issues, just an all-around failure.  They read the press clippings of what they are supposed to be, and forgot to play football.  The coaching approach on defense defies any logic.  They built a team to play one kind of defense and refuse to play the way they are built.  Hard to see them ever winning the SB with this coaching staff.   Disjointed game plans between offense and defense reflect poorly.

• Like 1

Watch MLFs presser from today. I did not like. He refused to admit there should have been more runs.  He several times made reference to bad ref calls for excuses.  He acted stupid when someone asked him why we don’t blitz more:  “what do you consider a blitz?” (As if sending more than 4 guys isn’t a pretty standard football definition).  It was a bad look.  

Maybe he sees his team as a bit fragile at the moment and doesn’t want to pile on. I hope that’s it and he doesn’t really have his head that buried in the sand. 

7 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Watch MLFs presser from today. I did not like. He refused to admit there should have been more runs.  He several times made reference to bad ref calls for excuses.  He acted stupid when someone asked him why we don’t blitz more:  “what do you consider a blitz?” (As if sending more than 4 guys isn’t a pretty standard football definition).  It was a bad look.  

Maybe he sees his team as a bit fragile at the moment and doesn’t want to pile on. I hope that’s it and he doesn’t really have his head that buried in the sand. 

I watched it and couldn't disagree with you more. The Packers media group has become nothing more than an extension of some of the stupid fanbase that thinks they know more than the organization does. The Packers have been one of the most effective teams in the NFL with their presser packages to date and he is fielding questions about if he considers blitzing more. To which he pacified them with a very good explanation of why they did what they did.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, R T said:

I watched it and couldn't disagree with you more. The Packers media group has become nothing more than an extension of some of the stupid fanbase that thinks they know more than the organization does. The Packers have been one of the most effective teams in the NFL with their presser packages to date and he is fielding questions about if he considers blitzing more. To which he pacified them with a very good explanation of why they did what they did.  

Maybe if MLF had a better handle on his offense and his defensive coordinator had a little better handle on the team he wouldn't have to have this type of presser.  Let's face it, this team is not playing very well right now and it's up to the coaching staff to right the ship.  Until that happens, this type of presser will continue. 

7 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

I watched it and it was not bad at all.  He was obviously very frustrated by the loss...who wouldn't be when your ahead 17-3 midway through the 2nd quarter.  Its easy to come down like a load of bricks on the defensive coordinator, but LeFleur has to defend him as he was his pick.  Only time will tell if the defense changes a little in the future and becomes more aggressive.  Even then, I still expect it to be a shell defense as that's his defensive philosophy and he is not going to change it mid-season.  Obviously, they need to better recognize and cover the crossing routes better in the future.  Some of this needed improvement is from the DB's, some of it is from the safeties, and some of this lies with the inside linebackers.  They all need to work better together and fix this.  The front seven needs to get a little better too in setting a consistent edge, and bringing a better pass rush.  We really need one more good edge rusher or one more good inside pass rusher.  But then again, who doesn't.  

The only criticism I would level at LeFleur was again going away from the running game in the 3rd quarter when he really needed to get the running game going to take the pressure off the defense and get some long drives going.  We really needed the offense to help give the defense a break and we didn't do it.  That's complimentary football and its important to try to establish that each game.  He defended the passing calls at the end of the game and explained why those where good play calls, but even he acknowledged that the team was having success running against the Giants 8 man box.  Frankly, I thought the offensive line played great in this game and was overall their best game of the season.  The Giants threw a lot at them and the line handled it all pretty well.

I did get a sense from LeFleur that he is growing frustrated with our return/receiver Rodger's ball security once he catches the ball.  I agree with his assessment.  I cringe when he runs with the ball.  Hopefully Watson's hammy is not too bad as I do think with his speed that if we can get him any gap, he is gone.  However, even I will not that Watson fumbled the ball on one of his returns.  Let's at least give a guarded round of applause to the special teams as they are functioning much better this year.

Now that I'm two days past the game, I'm settling down again and saying "its only one game and we have the talent to fix this"....especially on defense.  On offense, its just going to be a grind passing the ball most of the season.  Hopefully by game 11 or 12 some semblance of normalcy returns and we see the rookies progress into something Rodgers can trust more.  

• Like 1