Week 5 Thread: (2-2) Titans @ (1-3) Commanders

MikeT14

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Everything has pretty much been worse than I expected. I didn't expect the guard combo we brought in to be THAT much worse than last year, but it's been an abject disaster. Wentz has done full Wentz - flashes of brilliance and flashes of the apocalypse. When his line actually DOES block for him, he waits for the sack or misses the throw. I thought Sweat would get home more. I didn't think our secondary would regress. 

There is no seemingly no run game or play action to execute. The defense, while stronger lately than at the start, still gives up giant plays at inopportune times. They also can't cause a turnover to save their life (I think we're -7 right now?).

I heard WJIII got benched. That's hilarious. These Ron press conferences are getting more and more ironic. 

“We’re in a rough spot. But, just give us more time we’ll get better by coaching harder,  practicing harder and executing better than we have the first 5 weeks. You just have to trust me, it’s going to happen!” 

In my Rivera voice! 😂 

5 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

@turtle28 please enlighten me on what Mac Jones and Tua Tagavailoa have done since entering the league? 

Tua played great vs the Ravens and at worst averages in other games the first month of the season until the concussion. I believe the  Dolphins we’re 3-1 bc Tua was distributing the ball to his playmakers very well & making great decisions with the ball.

Tua is 69.7%, 1035 yds & 8 TDs on the season. 

Mac Jones played at worst average as a rookie w/ no WR on his roster that would be a starter on most teams in the NFL. 

He led the Pats to a 10-7 record, they went to the playoffs & he was 67.6%, 3801 yds & 22 TDs as a rookie.

Neither have blown up and been amazing but they certainly have proven there’s something there to build off of & they aren’t busts as QBs. 

Edited by turtle28

Trying to remember the second and goal at the end. Incomplete pass but they did an end zone view from behing Wentz and it looked like he could have walked into the end zone. He had a blocker in front of him too. I can't believe a vet QB focuses so much on one guy and forces the ball to him so often . 

I was open minded on the trade but it sure has turned into a disaster .

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How is that irrelevant? He spent more time developing at OSU than LSU and LSU isn’t exactly a QB development haven. It just seems like an incredibly silly reason not to draft someone. 

Does developing = producing?

Burrow transferred and produced at LSU. Hurts transferred and produced at Oklahoma. Levis transferred from PSU and is producing at Kentucky. (And the last QB from Kentucky to have any career was Tim Couch) I will never rest any laurels on Couch, but he was drafted by the Browns. 

This is great article about the sucess of Alabama QB's: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/04/19/the-14-alabama-quarterbacks-who-were-drafted-by-the-pros/

Before A.J. McCarron won two games with the 2015 Bengals, it had been 28 years since an Alabama alumni (Jeff Rutledge, 1987) had won a game as a starting quarterback in the NFL. (Not including Tua)

Tua Tagavialoa was the first Alabama QB to be taken in the first round in 4 decades. (Obviously Mac Jones was also, but he was the 2nd Alabama QB taken)

For me, the criteria of a starting QB in the NFL is based off way more than the school they go to, but the significance of Alabama or Ohio State having numerous QB's to be considered for high draft picks every year in the NFL, that certainly can provide a relevant track record of what their respective program has in developing QB's for the next level. 

My eveluation of QB's is based on a lot more than just the school. I look at tape against the best opponents, worst opponents, pre snap, post snap, read progression, offense type, supporting cast, pressure situations, inside the pocket, outside the pocket, route tree progressions, footwork, throwing motions, velocity, deep ball accuracy, working boundaries, working middles, zone vs. man, and a lot more. 

I have evaluated Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud, and Stroud has all the tools to be a starting NFL QB. Young can develop into a starting QB, but I see a lot of issues with his game. 

With Will Levis, I see a much more mature game. Do I think he is QB1? Not quite. Again, when I review all of what I mentioned for the criteria, I have to take into account the track record of previous QB's from the same school within a certain time frame and determine if QB-A has better tangibles than QB-B who was drafted in X round. 

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just gonna put it like this. If this were some 5th round rookie we are playing at QB, would you yank him based upon what you've seen in critical moments?

No, just consider it growing pains . But this is 7-8 year vet .  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Actually, probably not... 

I’ll actually go further & say definitely not. We’ve been there with Kirk before & we played Kirk and entire season in 2015 even after he made some really poor decisions to start the season like the Jets game sticks out in my memory for sure but he got the entire 2015 season to turn it around & ended up leading us to the division championship.

Now, I don’t see anyway that happens this season but although part of me does want to bench Wentz, yesterdays performance was better than we had seen the previous two weeks, so he shouldn’t get benched right now & if Howell was starting we wouldn’t have benched him bc of the way that game ended yesterday. He’s get a much longer leash.