Week 5 Thread: (2-2) Titans @ (1-3) Commanders

MikeT14

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Agree with you totally about where we are, of course — we are definitely in that position where we need to get lucky with a star QB and let him take the reins. Also completely agree about needing a GM who guides the ship — that’s the absolute key to the deal, we’ve all gotten to see firsthand two separate (and strangely different) stints of well-regarded coaches failing to manage the personnel side effectively.

My only quibble with your post is that it seems to imply that we’re in an uncommon position, in the sense that we need to stumble into a QB to ever have a chance at sustained success. I think that’s the case for most teams around the league, to be honest. How many franchises around the league have proven to have a machine in place that’s able to keep winning regardless of the guy under center for them?

Baltimore is one, for sure, and the best-run team in the league for my money. Maybe Pittsburgh, although Ben was there for such a long time that it’s kinda hard to tell. Not looking great thus far, post-Ben. Sorta the same thing with New England, post-Brady. Kansas City had a good team prior to Mahomes, but they were never a postseason factor until they got their guy. San Francisco seems like they should be an example, but they’ve also had a lot of terrible years interspersed with their deep runs. I don’t know that TEN or IND has really done enough (for long enough) to put themselves in that class. Maybe the Eagles might be pushing toward that status?

I guess my point is that I think it’s true of the vast majority of the league that, for the most part, they go as their QB position goes. Teams can stay on top for about as long as they have a stable franchise guy in place. But otherwise it’s always going to be this year-to-year, “try to catch lightning in a bottle” status. The number of teams who can consistently win without getting “lucky” and landing a top QB is startlingly few, I’d say. 

What’s uncommon is how we’ve been near the bottom for so long.  Essentially three decades of it.  And not bottom of the barrel either, as many have discussed about how often we sit outside the top 5 and top 10 for the draft.  

At this point, the swing for the fences route is something we should absolutely be in favor of.  It is a QB-driven league.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What’s uncommon is how we’ve been near the bottom for so long.  Essentially three decades of it.  And not bottom of the barrel either, as many have discussed about how often we sit outside the top 5 and top 10 for the draft.  

At this point, the swing for the fences route is something we should absolutely be in favor of.  It is a QB-driven league.  

We’re almost always bad, like one of the 15 worst teams in the NFL, but rarely one of the 5 worst teams in the league. In the last 30 years there were only 5 times we had top 5 natural picks.

Our owner/head football personnel person has always wanted to stay competitive even when we weren’t close to having a Championship contending team. It was always “we’re close,” only a player or two away from being great! Yeah right!

I forget the exact % but today on the Radio I heard that during the snyder era our winning % was .400 something. It’s the 5th worse winning percentage over the last 2 decades.

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I always read stuff like this and then Snyder hired whoever he wants. It’s like the “no coach will ever come here” meanwhile Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan and now Rivera all coached for Snyder. Not saying you’re totally wrong Knight but I just think money talks for the most part.

Other than Rivera those were all over a decade ago.  Snyder has a lot more baggage now. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Other than Rivera those were all over a decade ago.  Snyder has a lot more baggage now. 

Well yeah, bc in the last 9 years we’ve had 2 coaches - Gruden starting in 2014 & Rivera starting in 2020. It’s not a large enough sample size to say people won’t come here to coach or be a front office person. We’re no one’s first choice, but if it’s between not having a front office job or having a lower one & not having a HC job, guys will take the higher job with more $.