Way too much WR pondering on a game day

AZBearsFan

32 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

“It’s where recievers go to die” moose Muhammad. I bet that is still the sentiment around the league.  Devante Adams is thinking why would I come to the bears. To lose twice a year against my old team. Sammy Watkins is out in LA with a young QB and a young head coach.  Allen Robinson has a good situation in Jax     Bears will try but coming to Chicago is not going to be on top of the list for Adams Watkins or Robinson. 

But $$$$$$$ might be

What a terrifying thread. It gets scarier by the page. :S

With any luck, we can trade down and still get one of the best receivers in the first--and that's probably regardless of whether it even ends up being a reach, or not. That's how dire this situation is. Granted, the offensive coaching (and gameplan) seems to get worse by the week, but the lack of talent has become even more glaring. As to the Meredith question, any contract they send his way has to be incentive laden, and if Pace wastes a roster spot on White because of the cap space involved, then he's crazy. 

The terrible part of all that is it's becoming more and more clear we need another OLB/pass rusher (depending on scheme), and maybe two as Floyd can't seem to stay healthy, and also another quality O-lineman, probably a tackle. 

And...is it just me, or is there now a disturbing lack of movement on the Bears' part to seek out ANY sort of WR help, right now? They still have some cap room, right? It doesn't even matter if the odds are against them making any sort of progress, they need to be way more proactive than they are right now. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What a terrifying thread. It gets scarier by the page. :S

With any luck, we can trade down and still get one of the best receivers in the first--and that's probably regardless of whether it even ends up being a reach, or not. That's how dire this situation is. Granted, the offensive coaching (and gameplan) seems to get worse by the week, but the lack of talent has become even more glaring. As to the Meredith question, any contract they send his way has to be incentive laden, and if Pace wastes a roster spot on White because of the cap space involved, then he's crazy. 

The terrible part of all that is it's becoming more and more clear we need another OLB/pass rusher (depending on scheme), and maybe two as Floyd can't seem to stay healthy, and also another quality O-lineman, probably a tackle. 

And...is it just me, or is there now a disturbing lack of movement on the Bears' part to seek out ANY sort of WR help, right now? They still have some cap room, right? It doesn't even matter if the odds are against them making any sort of progress, they need to be way more proactive than they are right now. 

No one worth signing is out there, trade deadline has passed, and they are out of playoffs.

They should be getting young guys reps and just trying to see if anyone is worth a damn, or at least worth enough damn to keep as a reserve for 2018.

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

No one worth signing is out there, trade deadline has passed, and they are out of playoffs.

They should be getting young guys reps and just trying to see if anyone is worth a damn, or at least worth enough damn to keep as a reserve for 2018.

They don't really have any young guys, outside of Gentry (who isn't playing because he's hurt) who aren't already out there though, do they?  

I guess my point is that except for Gentry (who's still an unknown), there don't seem to be many worth keeping in there. Inman, I guess, has been sort of consistent. Cut one guy and go looking elsewhere. Practice squads, free agents, arena league, CFL, wherever. 

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They don't really have any young guys, outside of Gentry (who isn't playing because he's hurt) who aren't already out there though, do they?  

I guess my point is that except for Gentry (who's still an unknown), there don't seem to be many worth keeping in there. Inman, I guess, has been sort of consistent. Cut one guy and go looking elsewhere. Practice squads, free agents, arena league, CFL, wherever. 

Last week for example we had McBride on offense for only 19 snaps, while Bellamy had 25.

This week Shaheen was out for Brown while Shaheen is obviously the one that we are going to want to develop as the number one.

Cohen was out while we were in the 2 minute drill last week, etc.

I'm not opposed to getting players off practice squads, but they will be hampered by trying to learn the system while starting in week 13. If anything I would, being Pace, cut numerous guys week 17 and sign numerous practice squad guys just to have them on the active roster for that week. Then we get to have these young guys in 2018 and have a full offseason with them. Kayaa, Max McCaffery, Dan Skipper, Jerod Evans, Ethan Cooper, Jake McGee and Deon Simon all interest me.

35 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You want to bring in a guy from the CFL or an Arena League guy, with 5 games to go? Not that that’s an overly viable option, but it’s definitely too late for that now. Assuming to make any meaningful contribution they’re gonna need at least 2 weeks to get up to speed on the scheme you’re looking at a 2-3 game look, tops. Fox won’t even play the young guys whom he was involved in drafting. What makes you think some Canadian castoff is getting reps right away? 

49 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Last week for example we had McBride on offense for only 19 snaps, while Bellamy had 25.

This week Shaheen was out for Brown while Shaheen is obviously the one that we are going to want to develop as the number one.

Cohen was out while we were in the 2 minute drill last week, etc.

I'm not opposed to getting players off practice squads, but they will be hampered by trying to learn the system while starting in week 13. If anything I would, being Pace, cut numerous guys week 17 and sign numerous practice squad guys just to have them on the active roster for that week. Then we get to have these young guys in 2018 and have a full offseason with them. Kayaa, Max McCaffery, Dan Skipper, Jerod Evans, Ethan Cooper, Jake McGee and Deon Simon all interest me.

They're totally mishandling McBride, Shaheen, and Cohen. It seems that with Cohen, in particular, now that defenses have figured out (or simply seen) what he is, Fox and Loggains have no clue as to how to use him anymore, which is...weird, at best. 

But frankly, I don't see how it would even matter if some newcomer was hampered by learning the system at this point. I still think the Bears are capable of a few more wins (but of course it remains to be seen if I'm right about that), but I don't see why, the situation being what it is, an infusion of new blood would be a bad thing.

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You want to bring in a guy from the CFL or an Arena League guy, with 5 games to go? Not that that’s an overly viable option, but it’s definitely too late for that now. Assuming to make any meaningful contribution they’re gonna need at least 2 weeks to get up to speed on the scheme you’re looking at a 2-3 game look, tops. Fox won’t even play the young guys whom he was involved in drafting. What makes you think some Canadian castoff is getting reps right away? 

I simply don't see that many guys making meaningful contributions as it is. 2-3 game look for a single player works for me. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

They're totally mishandling McBride, Shaheen, and Cohen. It seems that with Cohen, in particular, now that defenses have figured out (or simply seen) what he is, Fox and Loggains have no clue as to how to use him anymore, which is...weird, at best. 

But frankly, I don't see how it would even matter if some newcomer was hampered by learning the system at this point. I still think the Bears are capable of a few more wins (but of course it remains to be seen if I'm right about that), but I don't see why, the situation being what it is, an infusion of new blood would be a bad thing.

I simply don't see that many guys making meaningful contributions as it is. 2-3 game look for a single player works for me. 

If the reason is because the players are incapable then replace them, but if the reason is because the coaches are incapable of putting them in position to succeed then changing the players will make no difference. The latter is definitely in play IMO, and until that gets fixed we can’t really know about the former. 

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If the reason is because the players are incapable then replace them, but if the reason is because the coaches are incapable of putting them in position to succeed then changing the players will make no difference. The latter is definitely in play IMO, and until that gets fixed we can’t really know about the former. 

I think it's inarguable that regardless of coaching, the Bears are really talent deficient at the position. We've known that since all the injuries began. But yeah, sure, Loggains seems to be getting worse by the week...

On 11/24/2017 at 8:26 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Not gonna lie Sammy Watkins scares the crap outta me. He’s gonna get a huge FA contract but hasn’t really earned it IMO. He’s been his team’s “#1” WR all 4 years of his career and has never topped 65 catches in any season and barring a 100 yards/gm clip the next 6 weeks will have only topped 1000 yards once. He’s averaging less than 4 targets a week right now (38 in 10 games). By contrast Woods has 70 and Kupp 61. Tyler Higbee has 38 targets too. Watson’s not even featured in that offense even though he’s obviously the most physically gifted WR they have. Giving that guy something like 5/60 sounds like an unwise investment. 

You aren't wrong... I read on the Rams' forum that they think his issue is not properly knowing how to adjust his routes based on coverages deployed.

• 2 weeks later...

Found myself thinking about WRs again... 

So Cameron Mereidth tore his ACL and had a partial MCL tear... are we expecting him to be 100% next season in time for camp/the season to start?

Kevin White isn't going anywhere.

Jordan Matthews hurt his knee, but prior to getting traded from the Eagles he was very, very close to Carson Wentz. IF we wind up hiring DeFilippo as our head coach, I would think we would bring that dude over. Hell of a teammate and leader from what I've read about him.

1 - Jordan Matthews

2 - Dontrelle Inman/Kevin White

3 - Cameron Meredith (I really like him in the slot, that's where he did his best work)

4 - draft a legit speedster that can take the top off a defense

I don't love it, but it could work...

19 hours ago, G08 said:

Found myself thinking about WRs again... 

So Cameron Mereidth tore his ACL and had a partial MCL tear... are we expecting him to be 100% next season in time for camp/the season to start?

Kevin White isn't going anywhere.

Jordan Matthews hurt his knee, but prior to getting traded from the Eagles he was very, very close to Carson Wentz. IF we wind up hiring DeFilippo as our head coach, I would think we would bring that dude over. Hell of a teammate and leader from what I've read about him.

1 - Jordan Matthews

2 - Dontrelle Inman/Kevin White

3 - Cameron Meredith (I really like him in the slot, that's where he did his best work)

4 - draft a legit speedster that can take the top off a defense

I don't love it, but it could work...

I like Matthews quite a bit. He fits that good professional WR mold quite well. If we had 3 of those guys right now I think our offense would be far more dynamic even without a star on the outside and even with Loggains at the controls. Not GREAT per se, but far more competent. 

To your group I’d want to pair a more established speed guy (one who’s an actual WR and not just a fast guy) to contribute right away though. If we signed Matthews AND John Brown it’d probably cost less or around as much as just Davante Adams will fetch if he hits the market, and would put us in a better place than signing just Adams going into 2018 even though neither is a “top tier” signing. I’d still want to draft a WR from there but wouldn’t feel like it’s pigeon holed into having to be with one of our top 2 picks. As we sit right now if we don’t add 2 WR in FA to be amongst our 2018 top 3 WR given the lack of certainty around Meredith’s recovery I’d go into the draft feeling like we not only had to draft someone high but that we would be far more reliant than I’d like to be upon that person having to be a day one contributor. Even if both Meredith and Inman are back in 2018 it’s entirely plausible both are on 1-year deals. 

In the modern NFL realistically we should be drafting at least one WR every year at some point no matter what we have on the roster, both because of modern passing game concepts and to protect against what we are seeing this year as far as attrition goes at the position. I look at PIT as the model franchise for this. Yeah they have Brown, but even without him they always have deep and talented depth, and that’s a direct reflection of them consistently introducing more talent from rounds 2-4 to the position group. If we want to be a consistently efficient modern NFL offense we have to set ourselves up to never run out of NFL caliber receiving options even when injuries hit the position hard like they have for us this year. 

Archived