Week 5 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, AustrianNiner said:

They probably hated Banks' penalties, but that grade is insanely harsh considering his performance.

I haven't rewatched it yet, but every week the grades just feel random.  Like they are making guys down for intentionally disengaging then moving through the play or something.  I think Moore was getting beat inside, so PFF gave the sacks to Banks, but I am just guessing.   I could have missed stuff too, it happens on my first watch.  I will just notice the best and worst plays from guys.

2 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I haven't rewatched it yet, but every week the grades just feel random.  Like they are making guys down for intentionally disengaging then moving through the play or something.  I think Moore was getting beat inside, so PFF gave the sacks to Banks, but I am just guessing.   I could have missed stuff too, it happens on my first watch.  I will just notice the best and worst plays from guys.

I would tend to agree with this. I don't really pay attention to them nor care about it as they are mostly informational. I don't give ESPN's QBR metric any credence either.

I really enjoy PFF's stats, but grades are too randomly subjective to me and you a lot of times you can see some clear knowledge gaps in understanding. It's really notable in coverages at time where PFF clearly doesn't know what the coverage responsibilities are. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would tend to agree with this. I don't really pay attention to them nor care about it as they are mostly informational. I don't give ESPN's QBR metric any credence either.

I really enjoy PFF's stats, but grades are too randomly subjective to me and you a lot of times you can see some clear knowledge gaps in understanding. It's really notable in coverages at time where PFF clearly doesn't know what the coverage responsibilities are. 

Yeah, the specificities involved can be interesting, but coverages, blocking, and timing/accuracy of passes are the three things that you really have to see.  

There are just too many variables that go into football games, but who knows, maybe 500 years from now PFF will have enough source data to create a good catch all stat for all positions.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

16 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I don't think PFF understands zone blocking.

The thing with ZBS is that there are gong to be a bunch of plays that are blown up and that contributes to the lower grading. PFF also puts FAR too much emphasize on penalties. Last week Warner had one holding call (questionable at best) and got a subpar coverage grade when he was freaking unreal in coverage, especially considering all his responsibilities. If you go off of their stats, Warner has allowed 8 catches on 17 attempts with 3 PBUs and has not allowed a TD while giving up 5 YPC...And guess what? His coverage grade is still below Greenlaw's and that makes no sense lol. I don't think folks realize how difficult it is as a LB to have those coverage stats. In fact, it is nearly impossible. His coverage has been every bit as good as it was in 2020, if not better. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing with ZBS is that there are gong to be a bunch of plays that are blown up and that contributes to the lower grading. PFF also puts FAR too much emphasize on penalties. Last week Warner had one holding call (questionable at best) and got a subpar coverage grade when he was freaking unreal in coverage, especially considering all his responsibilities. If you go off of their stats, Warner has allowed 8 catches on 17 attempts with 3 PBUs and has not allowed a TD while giving up 5 YPC...And guess what? His coverage grade is still below Greenlaw's and that makes no sense lol. I don't think folks realize how difficult it is as a LB to have those coverage stats. In fact, it is nearly impossible. His coverage has been every bit as good as it was in 2020, if not better. 

I like watching zone blocking.  Sometimes I'm surprised any plays work, lol.  Dudes are just passing other dudes back and forth, timing things from different angles, peeling out to anticipate where somebody is going to be, it's not surprising things go wrong sometimes.  

Warner has been excellent in coverage, and Greenlaw has been all over the field in pursuit.  They both have been excellent.  They might both be playing their best football at the moment. 

This defense is so good, I hope injuries don't pile up too high. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I like watching zone blocking.  Sometimes I'm surprised any plays work, lol.  Dudes are just passing other dudes back and forth, timing things from different angles, peeling out to anticipate where somebody is going to be, it's not surprising things go wrong sometimes.  

Warner has been excellent in coverage, and Greenlaw has been all over the field in pursuit.  They both have been excellent.  They might both be playing their best football at the moment. 

This defense is so good, I hope injuries don't pile up too high. 

Absolutely, I even mentioned that Greenlaw has been playing at an super high level and on par with Warner. The thing is that Warner's coverage ability allows Greenlaw to stay closer to the LOS and clean up on all those short passes. I remember last year some thought Al-Shaair played better than Warner because he was making more splash plays but there was a reason that was happening.

Pretty much, it takes great timing and teamwork from the entire OL or else the entire play will get blown up. But that's why when it works, it works for BIG yardage. 

Shanny has the offense humming right now. Just need to do continue finishing drives with TDs.

Per DVOA:

Offense - 16th

Defense -1st

STs -29th

Overall - 5th

The offense is getting back to average and should continue climbing to the top 10 like we were in 2019 and 2021. There's another level this team can reach but it will be a bit harder now with all the injuries.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

An ugly trend that seems like it will be sticking around for awhile - blocked FG's. Again, another game where the edge of our blocking formation was continually ran past. I don't get it, why is this still a thing with this team? 

If it's not going to be fixed, it will certainly not be the last time a kick is blocked. We cannot afford that.

• Like 1