Week 5 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers

J-ALL-DAY

13 hours ago, Forge said:

That's going to be an interesting call because Ryans has only ever been here and I don't know if he'd want to take a guy like Slowik already. He's 2 years removed from being a quality control coach.  But I don't know what Ryans' contact list looks like around the league. Stuff like that can sink you - I had the same concern for Brandon Staley and he hired Lombardi as his OC and he's just bad at it, always has been. Anthony Lynn would be interesting....that's a well respected guy with a lot of experience and I could see how that would be considerably beneficial to a guy like Ryans, but I'm not sure how good Lynn is either if we are being honest. 

Also, I wouldn't count out Lafleur in New York. I don't know how hot that seat is for Saleh, but not inconceivable that they get bounced. Also, I think just in a general sense that Ryans should 100% put a call in to Joe Brady. He got shafted in Carolina. The offense was just fine with Teddy B in 2020 (great outside of the red zone, pretty bad within the red zone if I remember right) and then he got screwed when he couldn't make it work with Sam Darnold because Sam is a whole lot worse than Teddy lol. 

Not that it is quite the same thing but Singletary has talked about when he was the head coach here he hired all of his friends as coaches which turned out to be a mistake (among other things). But having a small Rolodex like your talking about could equate to the same thing though.

I also wonder if Shanny would steer Ryans away from dealing with Washington if that was even an option. Ryans proved last year that he would be choosy on his own too.  

Thing with Demeco is he's a former player that was well respected by all his teammates and coaches. He's going to have options outside of the coaches he has worked with here. Demeco played under Kubiak in Houston so he's going to be able to get some coaches under his tree to follow him where ever he gets his HC opportunity at. 

Curious to see if Shanny gives Deebo a bit of a break from rushing the ball and uses Coleman this week unlike the Rams game. I would say that's probably likely. Deebo will be used more in the passing game as Shanny wants that part of the offense to get better and we will have a heavy dose of Wilson in the running game plus some Coleman. 

IF Ward does get activated, I would like to see him play but that does not necessarily mean he has to start. Put him in some three safety looks or put him in on certain 3rd downs and then get him ready to start by the Chiefs game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Not that it is quite the same thing but Singletary has talked about when he was the head coach here he hired all of his friends as coaches which turned out to be a mistake (among other things). But having a small Rolodex like your talking about could equate to the same thing though.

I also wonder if Shanny would steer Ryans away from dealing with Washington if that was even an option. Ryans proved last year that he would be choosy on his own too.  

It would only be the same thing if you fill the rolodex with friends, and not compatible coaching partners with similar scheme or philoosphy.  If you are opening a bar, and you call all your random friends to help, your bar might really suck.  But if you call in a bunch of bad *** bar tenders, servers, chefs, mixologists, managers, etc, your bar will probably be better.

If I were an NFL coach, I would take the money and hope it worked out.  I wouldn't consider quality of organization unless I was given multiple offers.   There are only 32 of those jobs available, if you can get into one, you do it.  I am not sure how Ryans feels about his coaching offers. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's baaackkkk!!!! So who do we release? Or do we even have to? 

All this did was open the 21 day practice window, I believe. they have not moved him to the active roster as of yet. he has 3 weeks to do that or has to hit season ending IR. They designated him to return yesterday. 

He may still not show up for a couple of weeks. If he's back already, there's no way in hell that Ward had a grade 3 strain lol. Would be awesome if that is the case and he doesn't need to be on the shelf that long. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

All this did was open the 21 day practice window, I believe. they have not moved him to the active roster as of yet. he has 3 weeks to do that or has to hit season ending IR. They designated him to return yesterday. 

He may still not show up for a couple of weeks. If he's back already, there's no way in hell that Ward had a grade 3 strain lol. Would be awesome if that is the case and he doesn't need to be on the shelf that long. 

Oh, is that what it is? How come Verrett's name was not on it when he was practicing? What am I missing here?

San Francisco 49ers

2022 · 2-2-0

INJURIES

OL Trent Williams (ankle) DNP

DL Arik Armstead (foot/ankle) DNP

DL Javon Kinlaw (knee) DNP

CB Jimmie Ward designated to return from injured reserve

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-news-roundup-latest-league-updates-from-thursday-oct-6?campaign=Twitter_atn

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, is that what it is? How come Verrett's name was not on it when he was practicing? What am I missing here?

I just saw that your was designated to return to IR not designated to return to practice. I misread that. We had already cut Willie Snead Thursday, so I am pretty sure that we had an open roster spot. So maybe he is back? Kind of feel like it would be a bigger deal to the beat writers but I don't see them saying anything? LOL 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just saw that your was designated to return to IR not designated to return to practice. I misread that. We had already cut Willie Snead Thursday, so I am pretty sure that we had an open roster spot. So maybe he is back? Kind of feel like it would be a bigger deal to the beat writers but I don't see them saying anything? LOL 

Yeah, unless they just didn't see the daily transaction list?

I don't know, but good to see Jimmie back! 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So everyone is over Buckner being "lowballed" by the 49ers front brass right? That was actually a narrative last season some fans grasped on to that reached a fever-pitch following the 2-4 start. Wild. 

Anyone who thinks the team was lowballing Buckner isn't paying attention to how this team conducts business lol. They have no fear giving people a bunch of money. I think this FO cares much more about structure. 

The Buckner complaints is a direct result of missing on the pick. If that pick was wirfs, people aren't saying a word

• Like 5