The Witcher series (New spin-offs announced)

Kiltman

23 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I could have missed it. Is that confirmed? 

Unfortunately I can't find the article. I remember reading that the new trilogy would follow a witcher hailing from a new Witcher school, the School of the Lynx.

I could be wrong, but I'm reasonably confident this is the case.

• Like 2

This stuff is all so far in the future it makes me think that CDPR didn't learn a bloody thing from Cyberpunks PR fiascos. Regardless I'm just not part of the market for pre-sales anyway, so oh well. At least maybe make sure to market this new crop of games more appropriately. Don't tell me you're making the next Skyrim killer then release a bland as paste GTA clone with almost no player agency and weak level-gated crafting that becomes absolutely irrelevant mid way through when a main story quest just hands you a better weapon than the crafting system will let you make. I play rpgs for variable play-styles, and player agency in the story. I can acknowledge that Cyberpunk is a fairly competent adventure game, but they really didn't seem to know that's what it was until well after it became too late to temper the expectations that they set for it. Now with a whole slew of new games in development you'd think they'd take a more measured approach to consumer expectations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KuechTheCat said:

This stuff is all so far in the future it makes me think that CDPR didn't learn a bloody thing from Cyberpunks PR fiascos. Regardless I'm just not part of the market for pre-sales anyway, so oh well. At least maybe make sure to market this new crop of games more appropriately. Don't tell me you're making the next Skyrim killer then release a bland as paste GTA clone with almost no player agency and weak level-gated crafting that becomes absolutely irrelevant mid way through when a main story quest just hands you a better weapon than the crafting system will let you make. I play rpgs for variable play-styles, and player agency in the story. I can acknowledge that Cyberpunk is a fairly competent adventure game, but they really didn't seem to know that's what it was until well after it became too late to temper the expectations that they set for it. Now with a whole slew of new games in development you'd think they'd take a more measured approach to consumer expectations.

Right? Like, a new Witcher trilogy? 

That'll be like 15 years. 

16 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Right? Like, a new Witcher trilogy? 

That'll be like 15 years. 

Apparently want to do one every 3 years. So probably looking at '25/'28/'31 if they stick to it.
my guess is it lands 2025/2029/2032. 

New Studio makes Cyberpunk Orion for like 2027/2028, they have to build up first.

New Studio moves onto Hanar (new ip) or they take over on the 3rd of these new witcher games.
Hanar releases 2034.

This seems like a 10-12ish year plan.

I was curious why they did this.

1. They are opening up a new internal studio and are recruiting, how much they mucked things up the last 3 years they want to assure people they have a plan.
  2. They are putting on their best lipstick to get acquired, as one of the free agents, they can be potentially bought by everyone. A plan like this helps draw in that attention. Whether that be Sony trying to fight for western RPGs to stay on their platform, Phil adding yet another stone to his WRPG gauntlet, Netflix boosting their gaming endeavors with a company they are already entangled with or someone else...if they want to sell there will be a lot of companies interested. Especially if they know that investment could feasibly get paid off in a decade or less.
  3. I don't think this one is independent of the others, but I think they want to be more transparent out the gate. This also helps timing wise with Cyberpunk finally getting it's day in the sun, like "hey we are committed to this universe, so jump in now"

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Anyone who's played the original and the 3rd, how does the OG compare and are you excited about this?

I havent played the entire 1st game, but its nowhere close to Witcher 3.   A solid game, but even Witcher 2 was a monster step forward....and Witcher 3 was a monster step forward from that.

That being said, Im sure the story and gameplay will be overhauled in the remake, so yes, I am very excited.

• Like 1