Former 3rd overall pick QB Blake Bortles retires

RaidersAreOne

I thought he had a chance to be good. Certainly looked the part, and in 2015 he was on his way. I remember he decided to test out at the combine when he didn't have to, and most in his position probably wouldn't have. Shame he didn't work out, especially around the time that that Jaguars defense was really starting to take shape. Being a Florida boy would have made it more special. At least he walks away with his health I'm guessing mostly intact, not having to commit to the NFL grind anymore, and got a sweet payday. 

BTW strange footnote, but when it's all said and done he might still be the best QB to have gotten the rock to Allen Robinson when all the smoke is cleared. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I thought he had a chance to be good. Certainly looked the part, and in 2015 he was on his way. I remember he decided to test out at the combine when he didn't have to, and most in his position probably wouldn't have. Shame he didn't work out, especially around the time that that Jaguars defense was really starting to take shape. Being a Florida boy would have made it more special. At least he walks away with his health I'm guessing mostly intact, not having to commit to the NFL grind anymore, and got a sweet payday. 

BTW strange footnote, but when it's all said and done he might still be the best QB to have gotten the rock to Allen Robinson when all the smoke is cleared. 

Well in Bortles defense of ARob - he probably wouldn't have caught it anyway :)

Well. Dang. 

Always liked the guy and hoped he would pan out. 

At this point though, he's bounced around some other pretty meh backup situations and couldn't stick.  

That said, he made close to $50 mil in about 8 years. He should be able to enjoy retirement pretty much however he chooses. 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

only question remaining is if he's first ballot or if he has to wait a year or two to make the HoF

If he managed to reach the Super Bowl he could have gotten an outside shot, but when his peak is a conference title game, and he lacked the longevity of some of his peers at the position... I think it might be a stretch for the Hall of Fame tbh.