Clarkfn's Week 4 Review vs Rams, Defense Wins Championships

clarkfn2284

Big win on Monday Night, tons of optimism, I dont necessarily share in all of it. Let's get to it.

QB: B-

Jimmy was fine. He did what he is supposed to do. I thought he made some nice throws and he limited the butt clinching throws to only one for the night. No turnovers which is always a recipe to win. However, the all 22 continues to tell a story of pre diagnosed reads that lead to missed open receivers and opportunities. He missed Juice open up the seam on a 3rd down pass where he immediately was going to Deebo out of the backfield. Deebo ended up having 3 players jump his route and he was tackled short of the line to gain. Juice was the Safety's responsibility, but that safety was headed down hill with his eyes on Deebo. What is worse is JG looked at the safety after the snap and didn't see it. If he hits it its 6. He missed Kittle on the play where he broke away from a sack and ended up throwing an incomplete pass to JWJ. Kittle was running an out and had his guy beat by a step. If JG hits him in stride Kittle has a chance to turn it upfield for more. I have a hard time applauding a guy for doing what he should do. However, I have to rationalize it with the fact that JG so often doesn't do what he is supposed to do. He was as always, just ok. 

RB: B

JWJ was fine as well. Im worried Kyle is running him into the ground. He showed great vision on his TD run and was aided by great blocking and an incredible blocking concept. However when we take that run away it wasn't a great all around night for JWJ. He runs hard, has good vision and is a problem when he gets to the secondary. Deebo continues to struggle getting longer runs going, but teams are selling out to stop him. The tape shows the entire defense moving to him when he is in the backfield. Can we please see usage of any of the other backs on this team at this point and can we please start using Juice more consistently?

WR: A

I though the WR group was really good. They are getting open regularly. They are great after the catch. Deebo is a unicorn when he has the ball. Aiyuk is just as good and I would like to see some more screens go his way. He had one in this game for a 1st down and he was an ankle tackle away from having 3 blockers on 1 defender for a score. I think Aiyuk can do some special things when he has the ball. Jennings was solid on 3rd down minus a drop. 

TE: C

It's not a pass blocking thing. It's not a Kittle not getting open thing. It's a JG thing. It's unfortunate because he is paid a ton for what they get out of him right now, but hopefully that changes. He caught was was thrown and he blocked well as usual. Woerner beat his guy and JG missed him terribly.

OL: B+

I can't give them an A with the lackluster run performance. They pass blocked very well, but the run game has yet to get going and have one of those Shanny run performances. I can only chalk that up to the young group up front. On the Wilson TD run Brendel was really good and got his hands on the NT in front of him and then pulled opposite of the play to get to the weak side DE Floyd. Banks absolutely washed his guy out and Burford was great getting across the play to take out the overplaying LB and opening up the hole. Woerner had a great wham block on Gaines on the play as well. They can do it, just have to be more consistent. all things considered missing your all world OT this group held up nicely.

DL: A+

Absolutely dominant performance from this group. Bosa potentially wrecks every single drop back. Drake Jackson is still very raw. He lacks pass rush moves. However, he is super athletic and he has the ability to make plays even when he is beat. I though Givens played extremely well and he is showing that there is no drop off from Kinlaw to him. I would argue he may add more than Kinlaw does. Omenihu continues to be a great option in sub packages as well. This group will wreck game after game this year.

LB: A+

Greenlaw was stellar. He speed side to side is really good. I heard 15 tackles, but saw only 14 were credited. Who cares, he was everywhere. Warner was very good as well. I thought the best part of his game was his ability to stop runs that got though the front 4. He was consistent in always being there and shutting the play down. He also played the pass to Kupp on the goal line very well. It was the same route concept he was beat on in the CC last season. 

DB: A-

Another solid performance. Ward was great. Showed his ability on an island with guys. Moseley was consistent as always. Lenoir played well for what was asked. He kept Kupp in front of him. You can live with Kupp getting the ball 14 times for 122 when you keep him out of the endzone and keep from anything breaking loose. THis group continues to show they are a major strength to the team. It helps that the Rams had nothing else to offer other than Kupp and Higbee.

S: A+

Very good showing from this group. Huf continues to showcase his ability to recognize plays as they are developing and his jump on that screen route was very good. Gibson was solid as he has been all year. Ward coming back will be good, but it is nice to not have to rush him back knowing you are fine on the back end.

ST: C

A rough night for this group as a whole. Fumble from Ray Ray and the missed FG that could have been catastrophic. Wish was fine.

Coaching: A

Kyle schemed up a nice game plan. He got a little too conservative for me at times and it almost bit him in the butt. He has to figure out how to get the run game more consistent and he has to find ways to be better inside the red zone. Right now it feels like it's home run or nothing. Demeco was borderline perfect. He utilized the blitz at the right time and it felt like he didn't miss at all. 

Summary:

This team still has warts. I do not consider them a SB contender yet. The defense will allow for them to be in nearly every game, but the offense has to find ways to get going. The run game has not been great and the pass game is going to be limited due to the person at QB. The win was big. They are 2-2, which is where I thought they would be, just not in this fashion. 4-2 is a major reality and 5-3, 6-2 should be where this team lands headed into the bye week. They have 2 games to get the offense on track before the real test of them being a contender or not will arrive. I would tell anyone who watched this team to temper all expectations and try not to get too high or too low as the games ebb and flow. This season appears to look very similar to last season. At a minimum we should all feel like they have a chance weekly with this defense. It has the chance to be historically great. Especially if they start taking the ball away when the chances arise. It's simple for JG. Dont turn the ball over, convert on 3rd down and continue to try to take shots downfield to keep defenses honest. For Kyle, stop being so damn conservative. Go into Carolina and get the offense on track. Then do it again in Atlanta. Continue to be creative in the run game and for God's sake get Jimmy to see the crossers. They are open often.

Edited by clarkfn2284
  • Like 5