Patrick Mahomes Timeline

CWood21

Obviously much has been made about the Chiefs' move up the draft board to select Patrick Mahomes.  The Chiefs traded their 1st round pick (27th overall), 3rd round pick (91st overall), and a 2018 1st round pick to move up to the Bills' pick at 10.  Given that Mahomes is clearly the QBOTF moving forward, and the fact that Alex Smith has been nothing more than a game manager, what kind of developmental schedule do you think Mahomes gets?  Do you think Mahomes gets meaningful reps, or is this more a developmental year before getting a shot to win the starting QB job in 2018?

Any thoughts @Jakuvious or @kingseanjohn?

Alex Smith tends to miss a game or two a year for injury or rest if we've been locked into a playoff spot. I think that if Alex goes down early in the year, we'll see Tyler Bray.

I think that barring an injury to Smith and Bray, or one or both stinking it up something awful, Mahomes will sit for the whole year likely as the #3, not suiting up on game days. I think next year will be Mahomes' first chance at earning the starting job. Ideally, he does extremely well this season in camp, scout team, and in the meeting rooms. Then next year maybe we're comfortable trying to trade Smith and having a competition between Mahomes and possibly re-signed Bray.

If the Chiefs end up starting poorly and the offense struggles, I could potentially see a move made mid-season. But I really don't think that will happen.

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If the Chiefs end up starting poorly and the offense struggles, I could potentially see a move made mid-season. But I really don't think that will happen.

Given how much of a project Mahomes is, I'd personally sit him for the entire year but that might be my preference to not let rookie QBs play.  But if the Chiefs play poorly or Alex Smith gets injured, you'd have to imagine that the fans are going to want Mahomes to play.  Will the Chiefs be patient?

I think Mahomes definitely sits the entire year. Maybe gets some mop up snaps at the end of a game or two or in week 17, at most. For him to get considered fully this year, I think we'd have to play ourselves out of contention very early, which would be very surprising given our roster and recent history, AND he'd have to look phenomenal throughout camp and preseason. Frankly, I don't expect either of those things to happen. We should be a contender, and he should flash his talent but also show his youth, and it should result in a stable Smith, Bray, Mahomes depth chart.

And this coaching staff has been good about adapting their expectations to the rookie. Marcus Peters stepped right in to the #1 corner spot, because he looks phenomenal early and Flowers looked the opposite. Chris Jones looked good, but was at a position of depth so he wasn't put in to start until a few injuries hit DE. Fisher was weened in at the RT position. While Ford is still a part time player. So they don't really have a tendency of being overly patient or impatient, so I trust them to handle the situation appropriately. If we see Mahomes, it will mean that both he is very ready, and some other things went very poorly.

And I think the fan base more  or less knows who we drafted, too. He was widely known as a project. There's been no chatter or debate whatsoever about him starting day 1. Even the casual fans I know expect it to remain Alex Smith's show this year. The only thing really pushing to get Mahomes ready quickly is our salary cap situation, but we don't need to do anything about that this year. Next year is when that push will start happening.

22 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I think Mahomes definitely sits the entire year. Maybe gets some mop up snaps at the end of a game or two or in week 17, at most. For him to get considered fully this year, I think we'd have to play ourselves out of contention very early, which would be very surprising given our roster and recent history, AND he'd have to look phenomenal throughout camp and preseason. Frankly, I don't expect either of those things to happen. We should be a contender, and he should flash his talent but also show his youth, and it should result in a stable Smith, Bray, Mahomes depth chart.

And this coaching staff has been good about adapting their expectations to the rookie. Marcus Peters stepped right in to the #1 corner spot, because he looks phenomenal early and Flowers looked the opposite. Chris Jones looked good, but was at a position of depth so he wasn't put in to start until a few injuries hit DE. Fisher was weened in at the RT position. While Ford is still a part time player. So they don't really have a tendency of being overly patient or impatient, so I trust them to handle the situation appropriately. If we see Mahomes, it will mean that both he is very ready, and some other things went very poorly.

And I think the fan base more  or less knows who we drafted, too. He was widely known as a project. There's been no chatter or debate whatsoever about him starting day 1. Even the casual fans I know expect it to remain Alex Smith's show this year. The only thing really pushing to get Mahomes ready quickly is our salary cap situation, but we don't need to do anything about that this year. Next year is when that push will start happening.

I agree with your assessment.  I cannot wait until Patrick Mahomes is the full-time starter, possibly two years from now.  Mahomes is such a dynamic player and seems to have such a great aura about him that I think players will gravitate towards.  I also love the fact that he will be under Andy Reid.  Kansas City was the perfect fit for Mahomes.

• 3 months later...

Just a Browns fan passing through wanting to ask the KC faithful a hypothetical question.  With Alex Smith playing so well this year, do you think KC will extend his contract past next season or let him walk in favor of Mahomes? The reason I'm asking is because I was a huge fan of Mahomes coming out of college and was hoping that the Browns would pick him.  Obviously that didn't happen with KC moving ahead of them but I was just curious, do any of you feel that KC would be willing to move Mahomes for a top 3 pick in the draft if it were made available?  This is of course a crazy and most likely an unrealistic idea but I just wanted to ask you the fans what your thoughts would be on this scenario.

Peace!!!

I agree, mostly. Alex Smith has a shot at a ring, but probably just one.

I am not saying Smith will not be back next year, because the team will want significant compensation in a trade. However, Mahomes will get a full shot at the job. Already, he is generating buzz in practice. 

J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived