Most heartbreaking departure?

everlong

I was very sad when LeBeau left Pittsburgh.  I mean, it was time since his defense had gotten stale and he was getting older, but I love the guy and always will.   Amazing coach and even better person.

Kind of the same exact story with Troy.   Injuries had slowed him down, and apparently, he didnt WANT to retire when he did, but the Steelers were going to cut him and he didnt want to play anywhere else.    Favorite player ever and an awesome guy.

Aaron Smith was sad because he was so underappreciated here and many casual fans didnt even realize the kind of player we were losing.   Dude was HOF caliber, but most of what he did never showed up on the stat sheet, so he would never get in.

Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis were a BIT sad, but they were clearly both at the end....and with Bettis, he went out with a bang.

I probably wouldve been more upset when Cowher left, but I thought he was an all around terrible coach his final year in 2006.  It was like he was just phoning it in after he won the SB the year before, and him letting Ben play when Ben clearly wasnt ready to go yet after his motorcycle accident made me lose alot of respect for Bill.   Ive gotten over it, but I never particularly loved Cowher.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Jimmy G, Logan Mankins, Adam Vinatieri, Mike Vrabel 

Logan Mankins, heartbreaking? :D

I was ecstatic to see him leave.

The Pats haven't really had many "heartbreaking" losses in terms of personnel. Weis/Crennel after 2004 were tough losses, Troy Brown and Bruschi as far as players go were sad to see leave but they were so cooked that it was good for the team.

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Logan Mankins, heartbreaking? :D

I was ecstatic to see him leave.

The Pats haven't really had many "heartbreaking" losses in terms of personnel. Weis/Crennel after 2004 were tough losses, Troy Brown and Bruschi as far as players go were sad to see leave but they were so cooked that it was good for the team.

More to do with his personality/style/protectiveness. I know he was a walking flag, but still.

There were some bad instances of roster mismanagement (Glover Quin, AJ Bouye, Brandon Brooks, Connor Barwin among others) but the only one that made me sad/upset was Andre Johnson. The guy was/is the franchise icon, so watching him get cut just stung.

Retirements I was really sad with how Johnny Knox and David Pollack went out. Granted, both are healthy now and able to live happy lives, but seeing their injuries end their careers so young sucked.

I hated seeing Hester leave, though he wanted to be a WR and simply sucked there. But I hated seeing Tillman in another jersey more than anyone else.

Seeing Olsen traded was the most infuriating trade I have ever witnessed. Damn near quit following the team after that incompetence.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

More to do with his personality/style/protectiveness. I know he was a walking flag, but still.

Big game choker, selfish player who came off as an abrasive tool. Great guard, for a period. No surprise he never won anything with the Pats given he saved his worst games and stupidest penalties for the biggest moments. One of the few personnel moves I think really blew up in Belichick's face was letting Mankins hold out and then eventually caving in and keeping him even when he had proved himself as a guy who came up smallest when the lights were brightest. He and Welker were two of the few really good Patriots players who will be remembered poorly by Pats fans for being literal losers. Those guys play at their expected level in the playoffs and Super Bowls and the Pats have a championship in their 10 year drought period (2005-2014).

Archived