Most heartbreaking departure?

everlong

Rice being traded to Oakland. I felt so betrayed i pretty much quit following them. Then they proceeded to let go of Garrison Hearst, Jeff Garcia, and TO in one offseason. Then i stopped following them completely. Every year they suck still makes me happy.

Heartbreaking was watching Aeneas Williams end Steve Young's career with one hit

7 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Rice being traded to Oakland. I felt so betrayed i pretty much quit following them. Then they proceeded to let go of Garrison Hearst, Jeff Garcia, and TO in one offseason. Then i stopped following them completely. Every year they suck still makes me happy.

Heartbreaking was watching Aeneas Williams end Steve Young's career with one hit

Ummm...Rice wasn't traded to Oakland. He was released due to salary cap issues. Rice wasn't happy with his role on the team anyway once Terrell Owens started to overtake him as the primary receiver. He wanted out. 

Garrison Hearst (who was old) and Jeff Garcia (who didn't do much afterward) were cap casualties. Terrell Owens didn't want to be with the 49ers anymore because he had grown tired playing for a franchise that was becoming the NFL's doormat. Of course Owens went out to be a controversial figure on X amount of stops the rest of his career. 49ers had dug themselves into a hole in the mid to late 90's with cap problems, and they had no choice but to clean house. I guess you could be mad at them for being idiots with the salary cap. 

Wait, did these moves make you jump ship as a fan? 49ers have had way darker days before that era and since. xD

I think you need to keep in mind that the NFL is a business and a ton of franchise players leave on bitter terms that can last for a while. Bill Walsh and Montana weren't happy campers for a few years once they left the 49ers. 

Archived