Brett Hundley depreciation thread

Lunch Pail

He had a 69.1 QB rating coming into this game and added 3 interceptions and no touchdowns.

McCarthy has to realize that his job has at least some type of heat on it if he sticks with such crap performance from his QB.  Ravens are a good defense, but Hundley is a third year pro that should play better than that.

What's Matt Flynn doing? 

2 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Mike McCarthy’s QB school is a bigger scam than Trump University 

This is the Brett Hundley depreciation thread. You're looking for the "throw a child's tantrum about Mike McCarthy" thread.

8 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He had a 69.1 QB rating coming into this game and added 3 interceptions and no touchdowns.

McCarthy has to realize that his job has at least some type of heat on it if he sticks with such crap performance from his QB.  Ravens are a good defense, but Hundley is a third year pro that should play better than that.

What's Matt Flynn doing? 

I'm not going to give McCarthy any heat for Hundley.  We drafted him in the 5th 3 years ago knowing his warts but thinking Mike could do with him what he did with Flynn.  It is evident Hundley doesn't have the pocket presense and feel for the game - it might go too fast for him - to be consistently effective to be a competent NFL QB.  I saw at least one time when there was an open receiver right in front of him but he never saw it.  This season is toast so this is the perfect time to find out what we have in him.  Unless his play improves, and I'm not talking about us winning in Pitt - just have Hundley's play improve, we will have to go in another direction at backup QB this offseason.  Do we draft another one in the 3rd or 4th or do we try to get a veteran QB instead?

I was going to say that Hundley reminds me of Scott Hunter, but that might be unfair to Hunter. In the end I really don't put this on Hundley. Lombardi used to say a team should have 3 QBs, the starter, a veteran backup, and a young QB to develop, and that was in the days of 40 player rosters. This is on TT. What's with TT? Even with 53 player rosters, we have no average, experienced backup QB and haven't since I can't remember when. As a result we have two lost seasons when Rodgers broke his collarbone. If TT and MM want a young QB to develop, he could be on the game day inactive. A luxury Lombardi didn't have. The Saints, Lions, and this game were winnable with a solid backup. The lack of an experienced, competent backup QB is inexcusable. I don't know if it's incompetence, arrogance, or stupidity. Bratkowski saved the Packers butt in '65. If TT were running things back then, there would have been no Bratkowski. The young development guy, Dennis Clarridge, would have gone in for Starr in the Baltimore playoff game. I doubt very much the Packers would have won that game. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I was going to say that Hundley reminds me of Scott Hunter, but that might be unfair to Hunter. In the end I really don't put this on Hundley. Lombardi used to say a team should have 3 QBs, the starter, a veteran backup, and a young QB to develop, and that was in the days of 40 player rosters. This is on TT. What's with TT? Even with 53 player rosters, we have no average, experienced backup QB and haven't since I can't remember when. As a result we have two lost seasons when Rodgers broke his collarbone. If TT and MM want a young QB to develop, he could be on the game day inactive. A luxury Lombardi didn't have. The Saints, Lions, and this game were winnable with a solid backup. The lack of an experienced, competent backup QB is inexcusable. I don't know if it's incompetence, arrogance, or stupidity. Bratkowski saved the Packers butt in '65. If TT were running things back then, there would have been no Bratkowski. The young development guy, Dennis Clarridge, would have gone in for Starr in the Baltimore playoff game. I doubt very much the Packers would have won that game. 

It’s ridiculous to compare this era to Lombardi’s. GM’s operate under an entirely different set of rules & constraints today. 

9 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I'm not going to give McCarthy any heat for Hundley.  We drafted him in the 5th 3 years ago knowing his warts but thinking Mike could do with him what he did with Flynn.  It is evident Hundley doesn't have the pocket presense and feel for the game - it might go too fast for him - to be consistently effective to be a competent NFL QB.  I saw at least one time when there was an open receiver right in front of him but he never saw it.  This season is toast so this is the perfect time to find out what we have in him.  Unless his play improves, and I'm not talking about us winning in Pitt - just have Hundley's play improve, we will have to go in another direction at backup QB this offseason.  Do we draft another one in the 3rd or 4th or do we try to get a veteran QB instead?

Well MM and TT deserve at least some blame for Hundley. They either haven't recognized he's this bad or haven't done anything about it. Hindsight is 50/50 and all that jazz but after 2013 we should have a veteran backup QB that can manage the game with things like 1 TD 1 INT games and play 0.5 ball until Aaron comes back, like a Hoyer or something. Now this might be wishful thinking and there isn't such an option available.

I was looking for backup QB rankings that were published during the preseason, found this one and we're ranked quite high:

Number 6 in CBS (LOL)

Number 15 in USA Today

Number 27 in Sports Illustrated

Just now, TransientTexan said:

It’s ridiculous to compare this era to Lombardi’s. GM’s operate under an entirely different set of rules & constraints today. 

I still think a competent, veteran backup is a must if a team is ramping up for a deep playoff run. Given the unusual number of free agents TT signed this year, it appears he was ramping up for a deep playoff run. He just "forgot" to add some protection at the most crucial position in modern football. If anything, QB is even more critical in modern football. The passing game is way more important. 

Archived