Brett Hundley depreciation thread

Lunch Pail

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Hopefully what has been learned by TT is to get a backup with a proven track record. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with a better track record than Hundley's. I had such great hope for Hundley.

I think we all did and that is what is so disappointing.  I feel for the kid but he just doesn't have it.  :(

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Yes, that's the key. Hundley was a gamble, because he had no track record. Keeping him on the 53 (as a game day inactive) as a development player, I would have no problem with, so long as a competent backup (young or old) was also kept. I think someone earlier said competent backup QBs were expensive. There's a reason for that. They're valuable. Why are they valuable? Look at the Packers' record over the last four games. Now look at the Vikings (my most hated team!). They have invested in Case Keenam, Teddy Bridgewater, and Sam Bradford. They have suffered numerous injuries at the QB position, BUT they are leading the division.

Keenum is a great deal. But there are people here, lots of people, who would MURDER Ted for "investing" firsts in Bridgewater and Bradford.

That's kind of my point. I feel like no matter what there's the same amount of complaining unless he can perfectly predict when someone will get hurt.

6 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Remember when the Packers were 4-6 last year and some people on this forum said Rodgers was washed up and it was time for the Hundley era to begin? 

Where are you at now? 

I'm here!!

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Dude ain't worth a plug nickel.  I really had high hopes for the guy, but he's too slow processing the game.  His pocket awareness is not up to par.  I don't see the point in investing any more time in the guy .. it's a failed experiment.

I don't know if it matters now.  I suppose we could take a look at Callahan but I don't know if he'd be any better right...

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Dude ain't worth a plug nickel.  I really had high hopes for the guy, but he's too slow processing the game.  His pocket awareness is not up to par.  I don't see the point in investing any more time in the guy .. it's a failed experiment.

Attitude reflects leadership

Hundley is doing a typical up/down thing that young qbs go through.  He really needs to get burned like this so that he understands that reading the coverages and not making young guy mistakes are the most important parts of QB play.

He had a decent outing last week, and a bad one this week.  He's earned another 2 starts at least.

Mac needs to run zone read as the backbone of the Hundley offense though.  I'm not sure why we've gotten away from that, it was working really well vs NO.

58 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Hundley is doing a typical up/down thing that young qbs go through.  He really needs to get burned like this so that he understands that reading the coverages and not making young guy mistakes are the most important parts of QB play.

He had a decent outing last week, and a bad one this week.  He's earned another 2 starts at least.

Mac needs to run zone read as the backbone of the Hundley offense though.  I'm not sure why we've gotten away from that, it was working really well vs NO.

Agreed.  Most young QB's will go through some poor games.  Rodgers did his first year as a starter, Wentz did last season, Goff did as well.  

I just do not see the upside of playing Callahan over Hundley at this point.  Hundley gets the remainder of the season to show some improvement, if he does not, then I think you are looking at drafting a QB to be the #2 and Hundley is in camp to compete or released.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  Most young QB's will go through some poor games.  Rodgers did his first year as a starter, Wentz did last season, Goff did as well.  

I just do not see the upside of playing Callahan over Hundley at this point.  Hundley gets the remainder of the season to show some improvement, if he does not, then I think you are looking at drafting a QB to be the #2 and Hundley is in camp to compete or released.

Yeah I feel the same. I just selfishly want to see Joe for entertainment value. Kid is such a wild card.

I actually really like Hundley's physical skillset. Mobility is good, pocket presence of what is in front of him is good (his presence of the edge rush surrounding him is terrible), his arm strength and accuracy are acceptable.

It's all in his head right now. He panics when he gets an outside pass rush, he doesn't trust  his first read. He just looks like his confidence went out the window on the INT to Cobb. The way he ended that Chi game, and the throws on the first drive yesterday, that's a QB we can go over .500 with, the rest of yesterday's game is a QB we go 3-13 with.

Head games are a tricky one, you have your Jared Goff types who suddenly get it, and your Brian Brohm types who will never get out of their own way. Hopefully this is the low point Hundley needed to say "here's what happens when I second guess myself out there and don't trust myself, the protection and the receivers."

Archived