Brett Hundley depreciation thread

Lunch Pail

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I still think a competent, veteran backup is a must if a team is ramping up for a deep playoff run. Given the unusual number of free agents TT signed this year, it appears he was ramping up for a deep playoff run. He just "forgot" to add some protection at the most crucial position in modern football. If anything, QB is even more critical in modern football. The passing game is way more important. 

Not really. He just spent more this year because it was the first year in a while they had much to spend with due to Shields’ injury.

7 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Well MM and TT deserve at least some blame for Hundley. They either haven't recognized he's this bad or haven't done anything about it. Hindsight is 50/50 and all that jazz but after 2013 we should have a veteran backup QB that can manage the game with things like 1 TD 1 INT games and play 0.5 ball until Aaron comes back, like a Hoyer or something. Now this might be wishful thinking and there isn't such an option available.

I was looking for backup QB rankings that were published during the preseason, found this one and we're ranked quite high:

Number 6 in CBS (LOL)

Number 15 in USA Today

Number 27 in Sports Illustrated

Like I said they drafted Hundley hoping they could do with him what they did with Flynn.  If you look at the link you provided there just aren't a lot of good backups.  Hell, there probably aren't enough decent starters in this league.   This isn't the worst thing that can happen.  Now we know we have to go in another direction for our backup and we'll get higher draft picks this spring than we've had in a while.  At least we know this is just a temporary situation for our offense.  Unless Rodgers is never the same after that injury he'll be back in 2018.  A lot of QB needy teams aren't so fortunate.

14 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

It’s ridiculous to compare this era to Lombardi’s. GM’s operate under an entirely different set of rules & constraints today. 

I'm about half way through checking rosters. So far Lombardi has never had 3 QBs.

If TT had so much cap space, why didn't he sign a competent, veteran backup QB to protect the modern game's most important position? It looks like TT's model is to go with two QBs, with the backup being a young developmental type. He's been burned twice now. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" seems to apply to TT here.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If TT had so much cap space, why didn't he sign a competent, veteran backup QB to protect the modern game's most important position? It looks like TT's model is to go with two QBs, with the backup being a young developmental type. He's been burned twice now. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" seems to apply to TT here.

Which veteran backup is making this thing happen? Average QBs are signing 15+ million dollar contracts.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Dennis Clarridge seems to ring a bell with me. And then there was Don Horn.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Dennis Clarridge seems to ring a bell with me. And then there was Don Horn.

The two i can find. The first was there one year. The second one year, last year of Vince's career. 

Anyone else that was listed as QB was a primary player at another position. And there was only one or two of those...

I missed horn the first time because his position I was blank so I went back and looked double checked all those.

Seems Lombardi didn't take Joe in advice that often.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

We did the old veteran guy thing last time this happened.

It's not about not having a veteran or having one. Neither time we had a good player. That's the issue. Not that have to be old or young.

Archived