Week 6: NY Jets @ Packers - GB falls to 3-3. First 2-game losing streak under LaFleur!

FAH1223

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Both Alexander and Stokes sucked unusually bad on Sunday.  Not sure of the reason, but neither was even close to being on top of their game.   Not all just them,  there was plenty of blame to go around in other areas too.

They don't feel inspired to play well in the soft, passive zone defense so they zone out. Sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

They don't feel inspired to play well in the soft, passive zone defense so they zone out. Sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to this.

Edited by vegas492
wrong thread

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

They need a Festivous Airing of the Grievances.  Players and Coaches.  All of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I don't just think there's "some truth" to it, I think it's THE reason. Alexander is already bitching about the scheme and we can be sure he's only sharing 10% of how he actually feels. I said this after the game, I think Barry is coming close to losing this group as a whole in the locker room. He needs to turn it around and let these guys play to their strengths. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't just think there's "some truth" to it, I think it's THE reason. Alexander is already bitching about the scheme and we can be sure he's only sharing 10% of how he actually feels. I said this after the game, I think Barry is coming close to losing this group as a whole in the locker room. He needs to turn it around and let these guys play to their strengths. 

How many balls have our secondary guys even had a break on?  Or gotten their hands on?  

It's amazing to see just how easy that defense is to figure out right now.  When it was not that way last year...without Alexander.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How many balls have our secondary guys even had a break on?  Or gotten their hands on?  

It's amazing to see just how easy that defense is to figure out right now.  When it was not that way last year...without Alexander.

I'll never complain about having Alexander on the field, but there is something to say about how his return has muddied the waters in the secondary. Sul and Stokes got into a groove on the outside last year, and we watched Sul have an All-Pro half-year. Then JA comes back and we promptly move Sul into a position most casual fans could tell you he's not suited to play. Still hoping they come to their senses and move him back outside and start getting more out of Alexander. 

All I know is when you’ve got guys with as much speed as Savage, Alexander and Stokes and you’re seeing uncontested catches downfield, that’s scheme not talent.

I don’t actually have a HUGE problem with being a vanilla defense if that’s a vanilla predicated on beating the man across from you.

The Patriots do this for the majority and aren’t all that extra, and they’ve been a dominant defense the majority of seasons under Belichick. With Belichick letting ALL of his great players go. There’s nothing wrong with being easy to game plan against.

Even obvious blitzes are fine.

What’s not fine is doing that with a zone scheme predicated on not getting beat deep. All that does is opens up the medium and the middle. Clear out corners with two receivers on deep routes, keeping safeties back, and then it’s one receiver crossing with the linebackers covering tight ends or backs and there ain’t no damn body there.

If you want to be vanilla, you’ve got to give the players agency and let them take that challenge of making sure all they have to do is their job and it’ll be fine.

You’re gonna get burned about 20 times on the year that way, but the sacks and interceptions you force will compensate.

If we’re not going to man up, we’ve got to bring those zones up and risk the deep balls every once in a while. Otherwise, this defense isn’t getting fixed.

With Quay and Devondre, there’s no excuse to not be a man defense. I feel like they’d be fine.

• Like 5

My ideal defense is actually just a straight nickel defense with two cover linebackers. Draft until you’ve got a sting DL interior, make sure you’ve got at least one plus EDGE, four down linemen, and just send five on every single play.

Takes a lot to get that talent, but I don’t see how we don’t have it.

Some plays it’s a outside corner blitzing, Savage picks up that receiver. Others it’s the slot corner, and you hope Quay can cover long enough for the blitz to get home. Bring a safety down and you’re just in single high coverage.

I guess I just hate zone coverage.

To me, your safeties should be safeties and you should predominantly run cover two man with your safeties covering deep.

Zone coverage should be reserved only for teams without defensive talent or a lack of speed. But if you’ve got corners who can run with any receiver… I do NOT agree with a bend, don’t break mentality. That’s just absurd to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

My ideal defense is actually just a straight nickel defense with two cover linebackers. Draft until you’ve got a sting DL interior, make sure you’ve got at least one plus EDGE, four down linemen, and just send five on every single play.

Takes a lot to get that talent, but I don’t see how we don’t have it.

Some plays it’s a outside corner blitzing, Savage picks up that receiver. Others it’s the slot corner, and you hope Quay can cover long enough for the blitz to get home. Bring a safety down and you’re just in single high coverage.

I guess I just hate zone coverage.

To me, your safeties should be safeties and you should predominantly run cover two man with your safeties covering deep.

Zone coverage should be reserved only for teams without defensive talent or a lack of speed. But if you’ve got corners who can run with any receiver… I do NOT agree with a bend, don’t break mentality. That’s just absurd to me.

We should be playing the type of defense that is currently halting our offense. We have the best pass rush in the league I think and we should take advantage of that by taking away the SHORT passing game - the only thing that beats pressure.

It just seems so obvious to me, that I can't help but think Joe Barry is kinda dumb.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We should be playing the type of defense that is currently halting our offense. We have the best pass rush in the league I think and we should take advantage of that by taking away the SHORT passing game - the only thing that beats pressure.

It just seems so obvious to me, that I can't help but think Joe Barry is kinda dumb.

I mean, yeah.

I just can’t fathom it.

I don’t actually watch anything but the live broadcast, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Savage is perfectly fine (except for some questionable angles and tackle attempts) this year. Like, I would not be a bit shocked if he’s sitting back in a deep zone every play.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Barry coaches like we have the Lions defensive talent out there.

• Like 1