BDL 2022 Week 5 - Cancun Kaiju @ Death Valley Nightmare

RedGold

Who Wins?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Cancun Kaiju
    • Death Valley Nightmare

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 5

Match:  Cancun Kaiju @ Death Valley Nightmare

Away Owner: @Blue @MWil23

Home Owner:  @wwhickok

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Cancun

QB Patrick Mahomes
RB Aaron Jones
RB Rhamondre Stevenson
WR Courtland Sutton
WR Chris Olave
TE Dalton Schultz
LT David Bakhtiari
LG Wyatt Teller
C Andre James
RG Zion Johnson
RT Yosh Nijman

FB Kyle Juszczyk
FB Zander Horvath
WR3 Josh Reynolds
WR4 Elijah Moore
WR5 Velus Jones
TE2 Kylen Granson
OL6 Jason Peters
OL7 Jake Hanson

DE Cameron Jordan
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Austin Johnson
DE Gregory Rousseau
LB Pete Werner
LB Ernest Jones
CB Steven Nelson
CB Jaylen Watson
Slot DB Jalen Pitre
S Kevin Byard
S Marcus Williams

DE3 Preston Smith
DE4 Kayvon Thibodeaux
DT3 Travis Jones
DT4 Tim Settle
LB3 David Long
CB3 Jack Jones
CB4 Nik Needham
S4 Jalen Thompson

Death Valley

Offensive Starting Lineup

QB: Lamar Jackson
RB:  Derrick Henry
WR1: Darnell Mooney
WR2:  Michael Gallup
WR3(Slot):  Tyler Boyd
TE: Tyler Conklin
LT:  Penei Sewell
LG: Kevin Dotson
C : Creed Humphrey
RG:  Alex Cappa
RT:  Andrew Wylie

Bench:

RB: Breece Hall
RB: Hasaan Haskins
WR: Corey Davis
WR: Jerry Jeudy
WR: KJ Osborn
TE: Zach Gentry
OL: Conner McGovern
OL:  Luke Goedeke

Defensive Starting Lineup

LE: Leonard Williams
NT: Javon Hargrave
RE: Cam Heyward
LOLB: Lorenzo Carter
ILB: Zaven Collins
ILB: Jordan Hicks
ROLB: Brian Burns
CB1:  Chidobe Awuzie
CB2: Carlton Davis
FS: Xavier McKinney
SS:  Jevon Holland

Bench:

DE: Calais Campbell
NT: Josh Tupou
LB: Lorenzo Carter
CB: Anthony Brown
CB Darious Williams
NB:  Byron Murphy
CB: Cam Dantzler
S: Vonn Bell

Edited by RedGold

Cancun

Offense:

After our last-second loss to Rome last week, we have decided that if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. That’s why we’re going with a no-huddle hurry-up offense on the road this week. Our opponent clearly believes this strategy is both credible and successful, which leads us to two indisputable conclusions: one, that they have the most absolute dog**** fanbase in the history of professional sports and will turn on their own team at the slightest hint of a lack of total and immediate domination, leaving them a total non-factor in the game. Given that all football games start with a 0-0 tie, this should occur almost instantly. Secondly, our opponent will be so impressed by our game planning acumen that they will have no choice but to declare us the winners of this contest by default, ensuring a one-vote advantage over them right off the bat.

Think About It GIF by Identity

boom smile GIF

Besides, who would ever vote for a team that doesn’t even get a vote from its own owner? That sounds ridiculous. No one would ever do that! But in the event that the voters need further convincing, we will continue to approach this game as if our opponent intends to make a valiant but futile effort to withstand our inevitable triumph.

In accordance with our hurry-up gameplan, we will be operating almost exclusively in the shotgun with two receivers, two backs, and a tight end. We will emphasize the quick passing game early, throwing regularly on first down with tunnel screens, curls, and slants to the receivers/tight end and getting the ball to the backs on swing, wheel, and post routes primarily. As the game goes on and the defensive front starts wearing down, we will move to more dig, post, and corner routes to attack the safeties. Jones will be regularly put into motion into the slot to get him a favorable matchup on a linebacker in coverage, while leaving Stevenson in the backfield as a credible rushing threat. If we see the defense getting pressure on Mahomes, we’ll swap Stevenson out for Juszczyk in our base lineup to give us a better pass blocker in the backfield, as well as having Schultz chipping in on Nijman’s side as needed.

In the run game, we want to get Jones the ball in space as much as possible so he can do what he does best: make defenders miss in the open field. That means toss, stretch, and screen plays. Stevenson will look to get around a dozen carries mainly between the guard-tackle on either side of the line. We want to avoid going straight up the gut and instead attack the weaker edges of the defense. Stevenson and Jones are both among the league's best backs at breaking tackles and should be able to pick up plenty of yards after contact against DVN’s linebackers. As a result, DVN’s defensive front should be worn out early on from being forced to play sideline to sideline without a chance to rotate linemen between downs. By the second quarter, we anticipate they will look like this:

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

In the redzone, we will temporarily abandon the hurry-up to bring on four wide receivers and a back to spread out the offense and emphasize corner, curl, and slant routes. Even if everyone is covered, we bet that Mahomes can run the ball in himself for a score. Even if DVN gets pressure and Mahomes has to bail, he’ll still pull off some wizardly bull**** like this and score anyways.

Defense:

This week we get Death Valley, led by a vaunted rushing attack with Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry. We assume that they'll be motivated by a late season loss last season, despite it's "meaningless" outcome. However, they'll need more than emotion if they expect to beat us. They're coming off of a very emotional win in a Bizz Bowl Championship rematch, and we are angry coming off of a very close and hotly contested loss last week vs. Rome. At 2-2, we feel as though our backs are against the wall.

We expect Lamar Jackson to be the focus of their gameplan, with their desire to get Derrick Henry a lot of touches as well in the running game. We anticipate Dotson getting more time in the slot or in 4 WR sets with Boyd, Jeudy, and Mooney. We anticipate their formations to be a huge tell if they put in Conklin or other TE packages, as they provide next to nothing in the receiving game, and will either be looking to pound the ball, or take vertical playaction shots. As a result, we will be matching personnel with big nickel for 3+ wide sets, but will be putting a 3rd linebacker in the game in 2 WR sets.

We love our Front 7 and our safeties, with NFL leading tackler Pete Werner proving to be a major problem for what Death Valley wants to do running the football, to go with some quality DL depth in Rousseau, Smith, and Thibs at the DE spots with Cam Jordan having value as an inside rusher or DE to go with Jonathan Allen. Austin Johnson, Travis Jones, and Tim Settle will also get early down reps to help be a bigger presence in the interior to stop the run, with our NASCAR package being Thibs or Smith (Rotating, both at DE), Rousseau (DE), Allen (DT), and Jordan (DT). We also, if he chooses to go 2 TE or unbalanced, will take a LB off the field and add a 5th DL, utilizing an odd bear front with heavy DE contain and both ends setting a hard edge with Werner keying on Lamar Jackson in the running game and Byard running the alley as well in power read. We will allocate 2 hats on Lamar, and our bear front up front will neutralize any threat of the inside run from Henry, with both A and B gaps being completely plugged.

Bills_bear_front.jpg

41670_h_0.jpg

In the secondary, we intend to use Pitre and Byard as major chess pieces, with Williams as the "true FS" most of the time, but Pitre will be a roaming hybrid FS or an apex defender contingent upon personnel and formation looks. We will be using a lot of presnap movement (fake blitzes, alignment, 1 high/2 high, odd or even fronts) to confuse Death Valley (Pictured Below).

23blog2.jpg

If DV wants to go heavier in the passing attack, we suspect that they'll try to exploit the outside corners, as trying to do anything in the middle of the field against our safeties, LB, and apex defenders is something we'd gladly welcome, as we have a huge advantage there. Lamar Jackson really struggles to have any consistency outside of the numbers, so good luck there.

As of going into 2022, here is the body of work and scouting report on him:

Maybe most troubling for the Ravens was Jackson’s drop-off from his Most Valuable Player-caliber 2019. According to Sports Info Solutions, on throws outside the numbers, his accuracy dipped from 64.7% to 59.7%, his interception rate more than doubled (to 3%), and his passer rating fell from 101.7 to 85.3. (The San Francisco 49ers’ Nick Mullens, by comparison, finished 27th in overall passer rating last season, at 84.1.) Jackson, since his arrival in Baltimore, has always been more comfortable targeting the middle. As a rookie, his between-the-numbers passing was more efficient than incumbent Joe Flacco’s. In 2019, he finished behind only the Tennessee Titans’ Ryan Tannehill in passer rating there. Even last season, a year of ups and downs, he completed over 70% of his passes and passed for 18 touchdowns and five interceptions on middle-field attempts. 

On drop-backs without pressure, among qualifying quarterbacks, only Dwayne Haskins Jr. had a lower passer rating than Jackson (78.1) last season on throws outside the numbers, according to SIS. Jackson finished with four touchdowns, four interceptions and a 64.8% completion rate.

For the past two years, he has been among the NFL’s least efficient quarterbacks on those no-pressure, out-wide throws. Among 30 potential 2021 starters, Jackson ranks 26th in Expected Points Added per drop-back, which measures the value of a play by accounting for its down, distance and yards to goal. According to SIS, the only qualifying quarterbacks worse than him were not esteemed company: Andy Dalton, Drew Lock, Sam Darnold and Tua Tagovailoa.

Expand  

We will be running heavy cover 3 and cover 4, while mixing in Cover 2 to support in the outside run game and denying in-breaking routes, forcing throws outside the numbers (depending upon 2-3 wide vs. 4 wide), daring Lamar to throw it outside the numbers, which he simply can't do with consistency. If he scrambles, he's going to pick up some yards, but our ability from the LB and S spots in tackling him will limit these big play opportunities.

So, we will be forcing Lamar to beat us in the pocket outside the numbers and effectively eliminating the middle of the field entirely, as well as the inside run from Henry, and keying on Lamar if he runs the football.

In the second half, Jackson has struggled putting points on the board this year.

Game Period

PASSING RUSHING
CATEGORY ATT CMP PCT YDS TD INT LNG 20+ SCK RATE ATT YDS AVG TD
1st Half 60 43 71.7 500 7 1 75 6 8 128.5 15 106 7.1 0
2nd Half 57 33 57.9 393 4 3 55 6 0 80.5 22 210 9.6 2
1st Quarter 29 22 75.9 195 2 0 20 1 2 116.3 7 50 7.1 0
2nd Quarter 31 21 67.7 305 5 1 75 5 6 125.7 8 56 7.0 0
3rd Quarter 25 14 56.0 161 4 0 55 2 0 115.2 8 151 18.9 1
4th Quarter 32 19 59.4 232 0 3 35 4 0 42.7 14 59 4.2 1

As a result, we like our ability and depth to make plays down the stretch and trust his major 4th Quarter struggles both running and passing the ball. We will be getting a LOT of shots on him, wearing him down, and trust that he will fade down the stretch like he always has. In the 4th Quarter when within 7 points, he's below 60% completion rate and 0 TD with 2 INT.

We will not be blitzing as much this week, but will maintain gap integrity over all else, as well as high contain from our DE spots. We will let our DL pin their ears back as long as they keep contain on long yardage situations, but that means a lot of EDGE rush ability or else we hope to create interior pressure from the DT spots, even using some interior stunts.

Special Teams:

That’s right, we’re bringing special teams into this. The first time we kick off to start a half, we’ll be going for the onside kick. There is zero chance Death Valley has considered this possibility, and therefore we feel great about our chances of recovering. Additionally, we will be going for it on every 4th down between the 40s so long as the yardage to go is under 5 yards. With our hurry-up offense, we expect this will take DVN off-guard and improve our chances to either convert or catch them with 12 men on the field, giving us a new set of downs regardless of the outcome of the play.

Death Valley

For One Night Only!!!

The Death Valley Nightmare is being rebranded as the Death Valley Undertakers

9404b9b38be2fe6fd2b8ff52fb0f7fd8.jpeg

I will be wearing our 'Black Death' Uniforms complete with Black Visors.

505c97e249b38.image.jpg

The stadium is being rebranded as the "Sarcophagus"!

desertstadium02.jpg

57ae5c5e3f344371930dd32f366770f9?size=1&

desertstadium07.jpg

c_383_4912d073-bd6f-4a01-8f41-5bf4a69b4e

d52e8ed0-0ff9-4b1a-bf7b-ded565fac25c.jpg

Motivation:  Pure Divisional Hatred.

OFFENSE

This week, Im going back to simplicity, back to what this offense was built for. The Zone Read, run first Offense.

Here is what I know about Cancuns defense for fact::

The zone blitz attempts to do two things. First, it wants to confuse the quarterback and offensive line by bringing pressure from different angles and dropping different guys into coverage.

There will be times where they drop a Defensive Lineman in coverage and bring a Linebacker. There will also be times theyre dropping linebackers and bring ends. When they are dropping a Defensive Linema  to cover a wide receiver I will target that wide receiver every time.

If Cancun shows a all out blitz on 3rd down and then at the snap drops everyone into coverage I am going target Breece Hall on a wheel route and let it be a foot race down field.

I am going to run an increased amount of 4 Wide in this game with Derrick Henry in the backfield as well as the other running backs rotating to keep fresh legs throughout the game.

I will be running a ton of no huddle offense.  Let me be very clear here, No huddle not hurry up, I am going to use all of our time at the line before snapping the ball, I will be doing this to give time for potential audibles, to control time of possession, keep Patch my Homes (yes thus was intentionally lol) and Aaron Jones sweating on the sidelines.

My offense will use hand signals and audibles at the line, And we are going to use a ton of motion in this game with Wide Receivers, Tight Ends, and Running Backs pre snap to try to get the defense to show their hand within their likely often disguised defense.

I am also playing a very aggressive defense, I want to try to use that against them with some hard counts and mixing up the snap count to try to get them to jump off sides.

It will be 100゚in Death Valley California on Sunday.

Even if their goal is to make us hurry the throw on 3rd down that plays into our hands because I are going to focus on quick passing in this game. If they want to cheat their safeties and corners up toward the line, I have no issue sending two guys deep and making the lone safety pick up. If the CBs and safety show blitz and drop into coverage I will take the middle of the field.

I am going to use all of the avaialble routes in this game to try to create confusion agaijst slightly ahove average corners.  IF Tre'Davious White does play, I am going to target him early to see how healthy he is.  If he is doing well in coverage average and we feel like we need to avoid him more I will start to attack the other corners and safeties. Having said this I do not expect Tre'Davious White to play.

In the running game, through the Zone Read offense offense we are going to allow allow Lamar Jackson to run obviously, or option it to the RB.  However I'm not exclusively going to use Zone Read.  I do not want the defense to get comfortable and simply sit on the Zone Read offense.  So with that in mind we are going to run some 2RB looks, 2TE looks, 3WR looks, obviously some of those will combinr with each other.

In 2 back sets I want to be able to have a passing option and a running option. Even outside of the zone read offense I want Lamar Jackson to use his feet when there is a hole where he can get substantial yardage. Derrick Henry and Breece Hall will both be options as receivrrs or runners as both have proven the abiliyy to do so with success.

will occasionally split Breece hall out wide with a 2 RB look and sometimes a single back look.

I do understand that the know how to offense is not going to be 100% successful all of the time there will be opportunities for both the offense and the defense to substitute, But I also believe we can be successful enough with the know how that we are going to be able to significantly tire out the defense especially at home being able to control the crowd noise via success.

I am going to run this entire offense out of the shotgun.

Haskins will be uitilized on some 3rd downs to help in pass protection.

When substituting I will have a healthy rotation of wide receivers to help keep them fresh throughout the game.

No matter what set we are using when we have a running back in the backfield we backfield we are going to use Derek Henry plenty to run up the middle and continue to exhaust the opposing defensive line.

Defense

I am going to run a bit different of a defense than i have, well, ever in BDL.

When I look at the offense of Cancun in the passing game 1st there there are 2 primary threats in this game;  Courtland  Sutton and Chris Olave.  That is not to suggest that the other wider receivers cannot be a threat at times But they are not so dynamic that I need to double cover any of them. Aaron Jones is a threat in the passing game to some degree so obviously he needs some attention but again I don't need to double him. So when it comes to Sutton and Olave the question is which one do I double?  The answer is simple; BOTH.

So how am I going to accomplish this? First of all I  do not intend to blitz very often at all in this game blipsing Patrick mahomes is virtually a death sentence. Even with the mediocre offensive line that Cancun has.  But what I do intend to do is have 8 guys in coverage with a single high safety.  Don't think this could work?Ask Kansas City about the Cincinnati Bengals.

I will be running bracket coverage on both Sutton and olaveLet's help over the top at all times. I am going to be using a lot of nickel dime, dollar,  quarter defense,  More  Emphasis on dollar and quarter (3-2-6 & 3-1-7).  I plan to use Javon Holland in this game in coverage In the intermediate part of the field. He will have a spy on Patrick mahomes. 

If they run RPOs, which I am confident my scheme will be able to combat

When it comes to the defensive line I will rotate these guys regularly to keep them fresh but I will only be rushing 3 when there is only there is only 3 defensive linemen on the field. I was to put pressure in offensive line and on the pocket to force hurried throws.  In our dollar defense and our quarter defense 

I will have a safety and a corner in the intermediate part of the field. They are responsible for Receivers running across the middle, as well as Holland spying Mahomres in case he crosses the LOS with the ball.  I will have 2 corners on each side of the field responsible for  Sutton & Olave.  I will also have Xavier McKinney playing center field  Indended as help over the top. This alignment will be the primary alignment we used in this game To the tune of 60%. 20% of the time we will run a 3-2-5, removing the intermediate CB and putting an additional LB on the field (Collins will be the second Linebacker coming onto the field). The other 20% will be the use of nickle, dime and base formations.  I am very confident that these looks provides everything that we need to do and allows us enough versatility to do whatever we want on defense and adjust to the adjustment they choose to make.

For me explanation against the run, no matter who is running the ball, we will have enough bodies in space, with enough speed, that they should be able to close in on the ball carry quickly and limit the success in the runnung game out of our formations of choice.  So even if there a goal is to spread us out, They are in theory playing right into that, Even if there goal is a bunch formation we have confidence in our defense to limiy play success as it develops.

It is my belief by scheming in the manner that we are this will limit their effect effectiveness on offensive enough that they're defense will be on the field the majority of the game.

Two things that should go without saying.  When the ball is thrown or handed off, players not covering the target will immediately engage ball carrier.

The ultimate goal here while we cannot prevent 100% play success is to limit explosive have plays and overall success enough that we can wear down their defense and keep their offense off the field the majority of the game.

"CYA" here;  I arm not ignoring TEs however I am treating them as a receiver, my coverage will account for the the receivers being utilized whether that is the running back multiple wide receivers or tight ends

Edited by RedGold

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah, we will have to keep them extra hydrafted and keep those industrial fans blowing on the bench for in between possessions. They practice in this heat so they will be as used to it as anyone can get.

What does this have to do with you wearing the uniform

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Lots of motion vs a UFO defense and I didn’t do a single zone blitz with a DL in coverage 

Whats Up Stare GIF by NBA

The game plan you did run would not change my offense. You may not be doing it but that simply means I'm not going to be attacking those defensive ends in coverage that's literally all that changes.

Edited by wwhickok

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The game plan you did run would not change my offense. You may not be doing it but that simply means I'm not going to be attacking those defensive ends in coverage that's literally all that changes.

Enjoy diagnosing the UFO with motion ;) 

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Enjoy diagnosing the UFO with motion ;) 

You do realize that in my game plan I did not claim I would without a doubt be able to get you to tip your hand right? So you're sitting here lobby for people essentially I don't care whether you say you are or not you are essentially sitting in a lobby the people who consider your game plan better than mine but you are also putting the words where they did not occur.

Neither of you can resist the urge to talk about how great your game plan is after it is posted neither of you can can not ever just let the voters decide for themselves.

And please don't take this as though I'm worried because I assure you I'm not worried at all.