BDL 2022 Week 5 - Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Hungary Hippos

RedGold

Who Wins?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Hungary Hippos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 5

Match:  Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Hungary Hippos

Away Owner: @Ragnarok

Home Owner:  @PR

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by RedGold

Berlin Blitzkrieg
QB – Malik Willis
RB – Tony Pollard
WR – Brandon Aiyuk
WR – Drake London
WR – Garrett Wilson
TE – Dallas Goedert
LT – Kolton Miller
LG – Ryan Bates
C – Corey Linsley
RG – Ed Ingram
RT – Tristan Wirfs

RB – Michael Carter
RB – Isiah Pacheco
TE – Hunter Henry
WR – Romeo Doubs
WR – Allen Robinson
OL – Spencer Burford
OL – Robert Hainsey

DE – Trey Hendrickson
DT – Quinnen Williams
DT – Derrick Brown
DE – Za’Darius Smith
LB – Kyzir White
LB – Jordyn Brooks
CB – Donte Jackson
CB – Eric Stokes
NB – Benjamin St-Juste
S - Antoine Winfield Jr
S - Juan Thornhill

Edge – Baron Browning
Edge – Trevis Gipson
Edge - D.J. Wonnum
INT – Harrison Phillips
INT – Ta’Quon Graham
CB – Amik Robertson
S – Camryn Bynum

Hungary

QB: Geno Smith

RB: James Robinson

WR: DK Metcalf

WR: Tyler Lockett

WR: Adam Thielen

TE: TJ Hockenson

LT: Duane Brown

LG: Brady Christensen

😄 Tyler Linderbaum

RG: Gabe Jackson

RT: Trent Brown

RB: Joe Mixon

RB: Brian Robinson

RB: Rachaad White

WR: Darius Slayton

WR: Marquise Goodwin

TE: Daniel Bellinger

TE: Ian Thomas

OL Charles Leno

Edge: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: DaVon Hamilton

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

Edge: Carlos Dunlap

LB: Shaq Thompson

LB: Logan Wilson

CB: Casey Heyward Jr.

FS: Harrison Smith

SS: Chuck Clark

S3: Cameron Sutton

CB: Roger McCreary

Edge: Charles Harris

Edge: Trey Flowers

DT: Armon Watts

DT: Nick Williams

LB: Denzel Perryman

CB: Amani Oruwariye

CB: Emmanuel Moseley

S: Kareem Jackson

Edited by RedGold

Berlin

Offense
TL;DR – MALIK TIME!!  He can’t be worse then Ryan…right?

Malik will line up in shotgun with a RB next to him.  We will run an RPO action.  If we have numbers in the box, Malik will read the DE to decide whether to hand it off or run it himself.  If we don’t have numbers, Malik will pull the ball and make a first read, then a second read, and then a third read.  Which pass catcher is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd read will change.  If none of those reads are open, Malik will escape the pocket.  At that point, our pass catchers will go into ‘backyard’ mode and just try to get open.  If Malik sees cheap yards, he will just run the ball himself.

The only reason we might pull this off is because we think we have a massive advantage in the trenches.  We expect our OL to move Hungary’s DL.  We don’t think Hungary will be able to get much pass rush which is why we are going to give Malik the opportunity to make 3 reads instead of 2.

We are going to rotate our 3 RBs throughout the game and try to get each 8-12 touches in both the run and pass game.  We expect Malik to run it 10 or so times himself.

We are going to typically use a 3 WR/1 TE set this week, but we will also use a 2 TE set, 2 RB set, 4 WR/1 RB set, and 4 WR/1 TE set.  We especially want to give Goedert, Drake, and Garrett chances to make plays with Aiyuk, Doubs, and Henry getting opportunities as well.  Look for us to incorporate WR screens to allow for easy completions

Defense
TL;DR – Control the LOS, erase the run game, make Geno beat us.

We are going to play mostly Cover 1 Man this week to get Winfield up in the box.  We will also use Cover 3 Zone to keep Geno guessing.

Defensive Line
All 4 of our starters are playing at a high level so we will rely on them to reset the LOS.  Browning will rotate in with regularity and on obvious passing downs, Z will slide inside with Quinnen while Hendrickson and Browning attack from the edges.  Our DTs will rotate in as need be.

Linebackers
Kyzir will have the RB in man coverage.  Jordyn will be sitting in a middle zone to limit passing lanes and take away inside slants and crossing routes.

Corners
Donte and Stokes will play outside and take the WR on their side.  We are going to have them play sides to not tip coverage.  St-Juste starts in the slot.  They will play with outside leverage knowing that Jordyn and Thornhill are patrolling in the middle.

Amik Robertson has the 4th WR in 4 WR sets.

Safeties
Thornhill is going to play deep middle all game.  Sometimes he will shade to one side or the other, but typically he will stay middle to help out on any deep shots.

Winfield will be up in the box to give us numbers against the run and will have Hockenson in man coverage.

Hungary

Offense:  

Welcome back… Duane Brown?

Manning Geno's blindside this week is long-time LT Duane Brown fresh off the IR. This week we will look to have some fun and keep the ball moving as we plan to have the ball a lot on offense and force Berlin to punt when on defense.

Geno has proved over the past few weeks that he is the best QB in the NFC West. He has aired the ball out to his litany of receivers and will do so again this week. 

This week's offense will be 60/40 pass. We will look to pound the rock early with James Robinson and Joe Mixon (switching when new drives begin). We look to keep Berlin's dline on the field and gas them over time as the drives continue. The longer they are on the field throughout the first half the more they will be worn down in the second half. The running backs will also be used in the screen game and will look to pick up YAC as both can catch the ball fluidly out of the backfield.

Geno is also a threat to run on any given play. QB spys have proven time and tine again to not be effective in the NFL or college. If Berlin tries to use one here, we will run with Geno with high frequency as there is one man to outrun on defense. 

In the passing game which is where our bread and butter this week, we will use our 3Wide set to get our playmakers in the open. Jackson has struggled this season often being slow in play recognition. We look to target him frequently wherever he is lined up. If covering a side of the field in zone, we will rotate our three WRs there and find the best matchup. We also look for DK to use his length to catch the ball even in tight traffic against Berlin's trio if CBs. Hockenson will also be a consistent target for Geno. At times he will be flexed out wide to test man or zone coverage. If in zone we will feed the Hock frequently as there will be space before a defender arrives. In 2TE sets Bellinger will be the additional target. He is a freak athlete that we believe is being under utilized in the Giants offense. 

Defense:

Berlin is in a nightmare. He gets to choose between starting Matt Ryan who was absolutely atrocious this week against Denver or Malik Willis who has a stat line of completing one pass on four attempts for 6 yards and sits behind Ryan Tannehill. On top of that their running back stable is in shambles with no consistency.

So this week I'm going to focus on stuffing the running game and forcing Berlin to try to find some sort of heroics through the air with two abysmal QBs at their finger tips.

We will be sticking mainly with a Press-Man Defense. Against 3WR Sutton will man the slot. Smith will move up in the box against the run. We will play the run with gap control and outside contain with our LBing duo. 

With the extra helmets in the box, we will also be deploying a number of exotic blitzes. These will be coming from the LB, S, and CB level in addition to the four man line. When the slot blitzes, the safety will cover in pass defense.  The additional pressure on Ryan/Willis will force errant throws which will further neuter Berlin's offense. To let the blitzes hit home we will be jamming the receivers at the line delaying Ryan's throw.

Hayward and McCreary will be playing the outside receivers in 3 wide while Sutton covers the slot. Aiyuk, London and Wilson are not in our opinion elite receivers and this coverage should contain it without an elite QB at the helm. Clark will play back for the long throw if Ryan manages to find time in the pocket despite the exotic blitzes. Smith will have Goedert coverage and try to limit his YAC. Shaw and Wilson will alternate coverage on the RB and situationally will cover Goedert when Smith is blitzing.

Edited by RedGold

So this might be an unpopular take, But I have to go Hungary here.  I literally have nothing to base malik Willis's ability to succeed or fail on at all.  He's not actually playing currently in the NFL he is a backup quarterback, I have no way of knowing if Berlin would succeed  in his plan with Willis but i do know what im getting from Geno Smith.

Hungary gets the win hwre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

So this might be an unpopular take, But I have to go Hungary here.  I literally have nothing to base malik Willis's ability to succeed or fail on at all.  He's not actually playing currently in the NFL he is a backup quarterback, I have no way of knowing if Berlin would succeed  in his plan with Willis but i do know what im getting from Geno Smith.

Hungary gets the win hwre. 

I'm the same. I see some things that work really well for Berlin that would have made it interesting even if Matt Ran was playing, but I can't assume Willis would be better when he is a rookie with minimal snaps. Had it been a guy with starter experience Zappe or even a guy like Flacco it would have been worth at least something.

• Like 1

I wanted to see how Geno did this week before voting, but it honestly would have had to be a pretty poor performance. Ragnarok is in a tough spot with Ryan playing badly this season, but I don't think the offensive plan was a bad one. Just hard to judge how good Willis would be in a starting role.

• Like 3

I'd like to echo something several people have already said. I think @Ragnarok did a really good job game planning this week.

Especially on offense, And while it isn't literally, At this point starting Matt Ryan has almost become a recipe for an auto loss. Rags knows that, So he literally did the only thing he could do which is probably what the rest of us would have done, So I applaud him for at least doing something. 

• Like 2