GB offense issues

squire12

Some things are interesting through 4 games (game 5 loss to NYG not included)

GB passing game ranking in more advanced metrics

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

you can sort by different columns. 

IAY/PA (intended air yards per pass attempt) ... how far the pass attempt traveled down the field to the intended target.   GB rank = 26th -- 6.7

CAY/PA (completed air yards per pass attempt .. how far the pass completion traveled down the field to the receiver.   GB rank =  30th -- 2.8 yards

GB passing offense is relying on short passes -- bubble screens, outs, flat passes, etc -- and yards after the catch with other WR/TE getting blocks to spring the pass catcher.  Defenses are keying in on this and that is very unlikely to be a long term sustainable game plan.  Coupled with this, the deep passing game has been pretty non existent.

GB also seems to swing wildly in the pass/run splits (ratio) from a game to game basis

• Game 1:  18 rush  to 39 pass
  • game 2:  38 rush to 25 pass
  • Game 3:  25 rush to 35 pass
  • Game 4: 35 rush to 35 pass
  • game 5:  20 rush to 39 pass

Now where the issue is in the disparity of rush to pass in games 1 and 5 is open for debate.  Is it MLF abandoning the run game, not sticking with the run game or is Rodgers checking out of called runs for pass plays.  Certainly some of the quick outside passes might be fair to view as run plays, but getting the ball to Lazard/Cobb vs Aaron Jones seems like a potential issue as Jones is by far the most dynamic offensive weapon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Outside the 2nd half of the Bucs game, I have little issues with our offense. Rodgers needs to dial in the deep ball and the team needs to fire Jenkins at RT and move him to RG and start Nijman. 

Waaaaay more confident in them figuring it out come Nov-Dec than I am the defense.

As long as Barry is playing not to lose, the defense has no chance. Jaire speaking out is a good thing, no matter what his highness, Rodgers says. Barry has to adjust or get fired. I don't see him adjusting either. 

• Like 1

I don’t mean for this to be all-encompassing, and I don’t have all the stats exactly to back this up, but I saw AR12’s first half passing chart. He attempted like 1 pass that was more than 10 yards in the air, and only 2 that were more than 5 or something like that. That, plus a 1-to-2 run to pass ratio ain’t gonna get it done. He’s not that guy anymore. 

I would expect that this first half passing chart is not dissimilar to his overall chart across these first 5 games. They are afraid to get Watson involved vertically. What do you have to lose, a game against the Daniel Jones Giants? 

14 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I don’t mean for this to be all-encompassing, and I don’t have all the stats exactly to back this up, but I saw AR12’s first half passing chart. He attempted like 1 pass that was more than 10 yards in the air, and only 2 that were more than 5 or something like that. That, plus a 1-to-2 run to pass ratio ain’t gonna get it done. He’s not that guy anymore. 

we put up 20 points in the first half. My vote is to do more of what we were doing.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we put up 20 points in the first half. My vote is to do more of what we were doing.

They forgot the run the ball again today. They averaged over five years per but only ran 16 times.  Dillon had a whole six rushes (34 yds). 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

The offense is going to be fine.

The scheme is strong, and LaFleur will remind himself we're a running team now. He will take the steps to ensure we adapt to that identity.

The only time the offense isn't fine is when our defense forgets we're supposed to stop teams from scoring and we need to force turnovers instead of allowing 80 plus drives.

Joe Barry's scheme would work and would actually generate interceptions if Bakhtiari was healthy and we had Adams, Cobb, a healthy Tonyan and OBJ to go with Watkins and the rookies.

So one of them has to change. We either have to go out and get a receiver or we have to change our defensive mentality.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Norm said:

You prefer that to "throw deep balls over the heads of guys that go out of bounds to set up the run?"

I had more faith in Joel Stave throwing deep balls at Wisconsin than I do Aaron doing so right now. This is the NFL and these deep shots aren't even ******* close. 

• Like 3