BDL 2022 Week 5 - Camden Hood Rats @ Lancasters Werewolves

RuskieTitan

Who Wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • Lancaster Werewolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 5

Match:  Camden Hood Rats @ Lancasters Werewolves

Away Owner: @Jlash

Home Owner:  @rackcs

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Camden Hood Rats

QB- Matt Stafford
RB- Austin Ekeler
WR- Cooper Kupp
WR- AJ Brown
WR- Mike Evans
TE- David Njoku
LT- Dion Dawkins
LG- Will Hernandez
C- Ben Jones
RG- Kevin Zeitler
RT- Isaiah Wynn

RB- Damien Harris
RB- JD McKissic
WR- Nico Collins
WR- KJ Hamler
TE- Gerald Everett
TE- Zach Ertz
OL- Ethan Pocic
OL- Chuks Okorafor

DE- Josh Allen
DT- A’Shawn Robinson
DT- Davon Godchaux
DE- Montez Sweat
LB- Drue Tranquill
LB- Frankie Luvu
CB- Asante Samuel Jr
CB- L’Jarius Sneed
Nickel- Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
S- Marcus Epps
S- Jaquan Brisker

DE- Yannick Ngakoue
DE- Boye Mate
DL- Osa Odighizuwa
DL- Andrew Billings
LB- Nicholas Morrow
LB- Divine Deablo
CB- Bryce Callahan
CB- CJ Henderson

Lancasters Werewolves
QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: AJ Dillon
RB: Miles Sanders
WR: Michael Pittman Jr.
WR: Diontae Johnson
TE: Mike Gesicki
LT: Braxton Jones
LG: Quenton Nelson
😄 Ted Karras
RG: Robert Hunt
RT: La’el Collins

QB: Trevor Lawrence
RB: Leonard Fournette
WR: Quez Watkins
WR: Kyle Philips (Q)
WR: Skyy Moore
TE: Chigoziem Okonkwo
OL: Evan Brown (Q)
OL: Evan Neal

DE: Arden Key
DT: Kenny Clark
DT: Justin Madubuike
DE: John Franklin-Myers
LB: Fred Warner
LB: Bobby Wagner
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: Dane Jackson
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick
SS: Jonathan Abram

EDGE: Julian Okwara
INT: Tedarrell Slaton
INT: Eyioma Uwazurike
LB: Malcolm Rodriguez
LB: Willie Gay Jr.
CB: K’Waun Williams
CB: Kindle Vildor
S: Darrick Forrest

Camden Hood Rats

Offense

Today we take on a Lancaster team that is star studded in the secondary but has been unlucky with injuries so far to start the season. While these injuries won’t dictate what we do, it could allow us to do some things differently today.

Work some deeper routes: We usually like to work shorter, quicker routes to get the ball into our WR’s hand quickly and let them get some YAC. With Lancaster missing their two starting DE’s and now Bud Dupree is out, we should be able to let some deeper routes develop today. I think with how physical the Lancaster CB’s are that racks will want to press my guys to stop the quick throws, and we think we can burn them on double moves and sluggos today. Kupp will still work mainly out of the slot and control the short/intermediate part of the field but expect AJ Brown and Mike Evans to be the target of some deeper shots.

Stretch runs: Ekeler will be our primary running back today because unlike last week when we wanted to work more of a power run game, today we want to attack the edges with sweeps and tosses and see if these back up edge guys can hold up. Expect us to work combo blocks on Clark/Madubuike depending on which side we’re running on. We think those two are fantastic players so we’ll make sure they get some extra attention to keep them from disrupting the run game.

Keep Njoku/Everett involved: With the Lancaster CB’s as good as they are, from time to time they’ll win their matchups and we need to make sure Stafford has the ability to find Njoku or Everett when he has to. So we want to keep those guys involved, Njoku will test the seam often if Lancaster decides to go Cover 2. If Lancaster wants to cover Njoku with Warner or Wagner expect us to flex him out as essentially a 4th WR to get a LB moving in space and clearing the middle of the field for the running game. If Lancaster uses whatever S is replacing Vonn Bell to cover our TE’s, expect us to try to exploit that as well as we think our TE’s are superior there.

Defense (Cover 1 robber base)

Lancaster is powered by Jalen Hurts right now and we think the only way to beat them is to attack Hurts and give him looks that force him to make more than 1 read.

Overloaded edge/Attack Hurts right side: Far and away Jalen Hurts worst day passing the football this season was week 1 against Detroit. One thing Detroit did repeatedly was lining up two edge players next to each other over top of the RT and attacking Hurts right side. Over his time as a starter, he’s struggle to throw the ball rolling to his left. So in obvious passing downs, expect Ngakoue to come in next to Sweat over La’El Collins to attack Hurts right side. We’ll make sure Josh Allen stays disciplined on his side in those situations as to not let Hurts escape that way.

Cover 1 Spy/Robber: I want to play a lot of cover 1 today against Lancaster so for large parts of the game I can use the Robber as a spy on Jalen Hurts. Today that will be Jaquan Brisker (with some CGJ mixed) who has shown an aggressiveness and physicality that I think can help slow Hurts down. Brisker will serve as another blitzer, someone who drops into quick slant lanes, can handle Gesicki if he flexes out a lot and a body who makes sure he stays in front of Hurts on most occasions. Lancaster is best served getting their WR’s the ball quickly, as Hurts doesn’t generally work very extended pockets making multiple reads and that’s what his WR’s strengths are IMO. This gives us a little more confidence playing mostly cover 1 and leaving a single deep safety. We’ll mix in some two deep looks but we want our CB’s pressing to mess up Hurts timing on any quick shots. If Lancaster wants to try to go deep a bunch today we’ll revert more to a cover 2, but we don’t think Hurts will have tons of time today to do that.

Cover_1.gif

Run game: Lancaster’s run game is pretty good, and we know they could go that route today and try to make that the engine of the offense. Racks doesn’t seem like a huge RPO guy, but we’ll be prepared for it just in case and make sure our guys stay disciplined and try not to over pursue. Our front 4 in the run game is solid and should they want to go run heavy, we get a DB off the field and can go with a more traditional 4-3 look. If Racks does employ some RPO’s or just decides to lean heavy on the run, on early downs we’ll have a couple run blitzes dialed up just so they don’t feel like they can line up and just pound the ball when they want.

Lancasters Werewolves

Lancaster Offensive Strategy:

We’re facing a tough, undefeated Camden team this week so we want to go back to our run-heavy ways. This will help us in multiple ways as we keep Camden’s offense off the field, we open our passing game by forcing the defense to key on the run, and we avoid throwing as much against Camden’s secondary. We will be using a roughly 40/60 run-pass ratio in this game. For formations, we will mainly operate out of 21, 20, and some 11 personnel.

We’ll be operating mainly out of a split-back shotgun look this game. Miles Sanders and AJ Dillon will see the majority of the snaps with Leonard Fournette spelling both of them throughout the game. We want to hit Camden with all kinds of looks in the run game. We want to run at them inside and outside, use tosses with pulling guards, designed quarterback runs, read-option. We want to make the Camden front 7 work for every stop. We will do all of these things out of roughly the same few formations so they can’t identify tendencies. We think that we can have some success against the front 7, which isn’t as strong as the secondary.

In the passing game, we will mostly operate in the short and intermediate areas of the field with some deep looks. We also want to utilize a lot of play action since we’ll be heavily establishing the run game. We know Camden’s secondary is tough so we will do our best to get designed open looks with our wide receivers. We want to take advantage of Michael Pittman Jr.’s size to get some jump balls to him. We will flex Mike Gesicki and/or a running back out into the slot as well to get extra receiving options and to identify coverages. We trust Jalen Hurts to make plays when needed with his options as he’s been playing very well this year so far.  We think we can work our way down the field with these strategies on sustained drives to eat up clock.

Our goal on offense this week is to take advantage of Jalen Hurts good play at quarterback and attack what we think is Seoul’s biggest defensive weakness. We want to test their corners often but mainly work in the short game to get the ball out of the quarterback’s hands quickly and to take advantage of our receivers YAC ability. We want to use the run game to slow down the pass rush and set up play action. We want to mainly attack the edge with our running backs.

Lancaster Defensive Strategy:

We know Camden likes to pass and has a very talented group of receivers so we want to key in on the passing game today. We obviously won’t be completely ignoring the run but we think that we can handle their run game just fine without focusing on it. We’ll have Jonathan Abram playing up in the box as well mostly throughout the game and so that will provide an extra body down low. For our defensive line, we’ll mainly be focusing on playing conservatively and looking to get pressure from the interior, where we think we can have the most success against the Camden OL. We’ll be doing a lot of rotating on the DL as well, with guys like Arden Key and JFM rotating inside occasionally.

We’ll be using mainly man coverage this week. With Treylon Burks out we expect more 11 personnel out of Camden this week. In this situation we will have Jalen Ramsey on AJ Brown, Jaire Alexander on Cooper Kupp, and Dane Jackson on Mike Evans. Jonathan Abram will be playing closer to the line for most of the game and will cover the TE. Bobby Wagner will watch the running back, covering him out of the backfield when he runs routes and running him down if he gets the ball. Minkah Fitzpatrick will be playing a deep zone, shading the side of the field with Mike Evans. Fred Warner will be playing a jack of all trades role. He’ll be playing a lot of middle-of-the-field zones to clog up the middle of the field but he will occasionally be blitzing as well and just generally being tasked with making plays. Occasionally he will cover the TE and Abram will do 2 high looks with Fitzpatrick.

Both teams have solid plans here.  Rack makes the wise move to go run heavy with 2 backs, putting deable and morrow on the field for Camden (Luuvu was inactive this week).  Camden, noting the injuries and depth for Lancaster, wants to attack more vertically vs a cover one which should also work

Lancaster finds some success early in the run game, but I think Camden makes more bigger plays, plus Camden has the better line on both sides of the ball to control the line of scrimmage overall

Camden 21-13

• Like 1

Kudos to both coaches for their well done gameplans. Using a 2 back system was wise by Rack, but I ultimately believe that Camden's weapons all around come in huge down the stretch. @Jlash playing some 4D chess knowing that Ekeler would go off this week too. That's smart coaching.

• Like 1

While Camden has a bit better offense around Stafford than IRL, I think they are absolutely getting bailed out by a rash of injuries to Lancaster's defensive line this week. Stafford has played terribly this season with one touchdown in his last 115 pass attempts, in the most quarterback friendly offense he could be in. It's not like Camden is putting BDL All-Pros in front of him as blockers, either.

Then you have the defense, where I think Lancaster's running game is set up for success with poor linebacker play, smaller corners, and what is unfortunately a pretty poor safety tandem by BDL standards. I'm going with an upset here in spite of a lack of pass rush pressure from Lancaster.

• Like 1

I'm going Camden.  I think a stretch-run based attack was the perfect decision this week against a defense that is decimated on the edges.  I think their OL would be able to get to that second level with regularity.  Especially if you take Njoku and Kupp's blocking ability into account.

And I don't think you can beat Camden and those aerial weapons if you can't stop their run game.

• Like 1

Hard to pick a team here. I like Camdens offense a lot but they met their match with the Lancaster back seven.

Likewise, I think Jalen Hurts having a strong game is likely but having to perform 60 minutes vs an offense that can find its stride is a different story.

In the end, it’s super close. I think Stafford continues his frequency of turning ball over at least once. Having a strong run game with Ekeler helps a ton. But I don’t think Warner/Wagner just give up big plays. 

I went with Camden’s running game being a little stronger then Lancaster’s passing attack. 20-17.

• Like 1

Camden is a force but I think they are lacking at linebacker and going to the 4-3 is a good approach by Camden but with Luvu out Camden is taking a better player off the field for Morrow and while schematically it makes sense I just don’t think the personnel at the second level is as strong. I think the heavy run game for Lancaster was a great approach and the way to combat Camden. This is a home team upset. Lancaster is lacking on the edges and Stafford has better weapons here than in real life but I think some of lancasters approach will keep Camden’s offense off the field more than they are used to. It’s a close game and Lancaster gets just enough done to win by 3 or less. 

• Like 1