GB defensive issues

squire12

Lots of good points about Barry's shortcomings!--and maybe I'm just too uninformed about NFL defenses to say something worth considering. But as an average Packer fanatic with major knowledge limits, it seems to me that a serious part of the defensive problem is that Barry picks the absolutely wrong time to have half his defense play zone (usually linebackers) and the other half play man-to-man (defensive backs). A classic example of this and the resulting mix-up of coverage responsibilities in my mind is the wide-open pass to running back Saquon Barkley that went for long yards later in the game. As I watched, I could see at least three defensive backs playing man, but the middle linebackers and a safety stood in the middle of the field guarding nothing and watched Barkley cross their faces and catch a pass with no one within ten yards. Not only does this half-and half defense leave people uncovered on long crossing routes...but worse, the same thing keeps happening game after game. At least for me, it's hard not to think that the defensive breakdowns are self-inflicted from defenders unsure if they should stick with their guy or play a zone...then winding up doing neither.

Does anybody think our defense sucks again this year because of a lack of talent? 

I didn't think so but thought I'd ask! We are loaded with talent on defense and the coaching staff is not putting them in positions to succeed. It's really that simple. 

Joe's gotta go! 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Does anybody think our defense sucks again this year because of a lack of talent? 

I didn't think so but thought I'd ask! We are loaded with talent on defense and the coaching staff is not putting them in positions to succeed. It's really that simple. 

Joe's gotta go! 

Lack of on field leadership....Who's the current Reggie White or Charles Woodson?....

4 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Unbelievable that a NFL defense giving up less than 16 points a game is considered BAD.  Are the the opposing teams just not supposed to gain ANYTHING at all? 

It's playing well below what it should for the talent it has, no the point stats so far are not that bad overall but that is not a good defense. Those numbers make it sound legendary but it's just flat out obviously not.

4 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Unbelievable that a NFL defense giving up less than 16 points a game is considered BAD.  Are the the opposing teams just not supposed to gain ANYTHING at all? 

No one said that this is a bad defense, it's probably a 15-20th ranked defense in DVOA come next week. That's unacceptable with the financial and draft investment made into the unit. Aaron Rodgers needs to be a top 5 QB because he's paid like one, being average is not acceptable for this D because we've sacrificed player acquisition on offense to make it a top 5 unit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No one said that this is a bad defense, it's probably a 15-20th ranked defense in DVOA come next week. That's unacceptable with the financial and draft investment made into the unit. Aaron Rodgers needs to be a top 5 QB because he's paid like one, being average is not acceptable for this D because we've sacrificed player acquisition on offense to make it a top 5 unit.

This is accurate in every way, everyone.

Rodgers signed up for this offense when he took 28 million.

He didn’t sign up for this defense, too.

The thing thats the most frustrating about our defense is just things look too easy for the offenses at times. Too many breakdowns in coverage, in Zone coverage specifically. The Barkley big play for example late in the game where they left one side of the field open can not happen. We need to play a lot more man. Our pass rush is good but it's not consistent enough to sit back in zone all day. You have sideline to sideline LBs now, and Corners that can play man well. At least if we get beat its a hat on a hat rather then allowing huge breakdowns in coverage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is accurate in every way, everyone.

Rodgers signed up for this offense when he took 28 million.

He didn’t sign up for this defense, too.

Agree with that, this offense would look far better if Aaron was dropping more passes like the one in the endzone to Doubs last Sunday. At least I have faith he can improve. Ive lost any and all faith that GB can have a formidable defense until I visually see it with my own eyes.

As someone said after the game, it doesn't happen often, but in this case the stats lie. No way anyone watches these games and would say this is a Top 10 defense. Throw in the QB's and WR's faced and it's shameful. A bunch of 1st Round picks and high priced vets adding up to zero. Halfway reminds me of that glorious Capers led defense of 2011 where they broke the NFL record for yards against but everyone said it was fine. Bounced in the first round

Edited by cannondale

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

As someone said after the game, it doesn't happen often, but in this case the stats lie. No way anyone watches these games and would say this is a Top 10 defense. Throw in the QB's and WR's faced and it's shameful. A bunch of 1st Round picks and high priced vets adding up to zero. Halfway reminds me of that glorious Capers led defense of 2011 where they broke the NFL record for yards against but everyone said it was fine. Bounced in the first round

That defense was fine with that offense.

Woodson had 7 interceptions. Shields had 4. Williams had 4. Matthews had 3. Burnett had 3. Peprah had 5. Are you keeping track? 26 interceptions so far.

26 interceptions. You know how many we have this year? Know how many we had last year?

10/16 games that defense kept the opponent under 23 points.

Yards don’t matter. Especially when you’re taking the ball away. I’d take that defense over this defense against any team.