The Final Thesis

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Just following on from my initial conclusion that the Packers lack Alpha in the leadership. Here is a continuation to that theory. I feel it becomes even more evident now. When did TT step down as GM? January 2018. McCarthy was an alpha Pittsburgh dude. He left towards the end of the 2018 season. Dom Capers fired, he was an alpha dude too. Replaced by Pettine and alpha also, how long did he last? Barry is not an alpha at all. Very nice man. MLF is not an alpha. Good looking family geek man. Gutey, super nice dude. Love them all.

TT was very BB like, you could tell that from his press conferences, he would take no crap. Also Rodgers owed him as he was the guy that drafted him. Without TT's presence McCarthy lost the war with Rodgers, anyone recall all those passive aggressive press conferences from Rodgers? Something was certainly going down and it was a power struggle.

TT kept Rodgers in check and everything in balance. Anyone here think TT would have got on a plane to beg Rodgers to stay? Whether you agree with my assessment of Rodgers, which I agree could be seen as circumstantial at best. There is no doubting there is an alpha vacuum in Green Bay and it is currently being filled by one Aaron Rodgers.

I agree.  I think there are many types of leaders.  Some are the loud "rah rah" type and some are the quiet type.  Some are better at steering a big ship from the shadows, some are better at energizing crowds, and some are best in small groups with a more personal connection.  I think any decently sized organization needs multiple types of leaders because different people respond better to one method or another.  I don't doubt that in sports in general and football in particular, there's always going to be someone that responds best to the loud type of leadership.  That could be an active owner, an HC, a coordinator, or even a player but I think someone always needs to fill that role and if they're lower on the rung they need to believe in the higher ups.  If that person doesn't exist, or worse, if they lose faith then the poop will really hit the fan when adversity hits.

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Oh, the 8th - 15th grader I'm an intellectual list 

I don't hate every choice, but as a collective it's like a sketch comic made something about Rodgers trying to start a book club. 1984 being the most hilarious. 

Edited by oldmansmell

1 hour ago, oldmansmell said:

I don't hate every choice, but as a collective it's like a sketch comic made something about Rodgers trying to start a book club. 1984 being the most hilarious. 

just looked at this, I've read 4 on the list:

1 - The Giver: read this in elementary school. Enjoyed it as a child

2 - Outliers: read this in my early 20s. Was..ok, I guess? Content seemed obvious to me at the time

3 - The Daily Stoic: I'm a fan of Ryan Holiday as an adult. Good choice here.

4 - 1984: read this as a teen. Enjoyed it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

just looked at this, I've read 4 on the list:

1 - The Giver: read this in elementary school. Enjoyed it as a child

2 - Outliers: read this in my early 20s. Was..ok, I guess? Content seemed obvious to me at the time

3 - The Daily Stoic: I'm a fan of Ryan Holiday as an adult. Good choice here.

4 - 1984: read this as a teen. Enjoyed it.

The Giver was my first wtf is this, because it's like choosing Harry Potter, but then he chose 1984 the week he went on Joe Rogan and it was priceless. Honestly, the rest is pretty much like dating a chick who's into self-help bs, and he constantly refers to authors as "dear friends", which really puts me off. 

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Read a Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham and then come back and tell me that

One of the three books I'm not sarcastically into on the list. It's a lot of white dude crap, except for the Ulmec and other forms of indigenous wisdom that masquerade as neoliberal self-help-isms that make me slightly nauseated.  

10 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Not saying Rodgers is Tolstoy but when one gets into spirituality deeply it has it affects. I'm not even saying Rodgers is in to spirituality deeply, he might be just scratching the surface at the moment, that's what I wanted to get an indication of.

The Kingdom of God is Within Us. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R T said:

Because most fans really don't know what they're watching, yet they will get into a forum and group think something to be so in their minds. Believe it or not the coaches are aware and see far more than any fanbase.   

I think this underestimates fans and overestimates coaches to a degree. We likely overestimate what we think we can see on the TV broadcast/All-22. But when certain problems/tendencies keep creeping up year after year, it doesn't become difficult to identify those. And while coaches likely do *see* the issue, we do often enough see them fail to address this, be it because of stubbornness, sunk cost fallacy, etc, which leads to increased frustration and the perception that they don't see it.

Of course, I don't know if it's worse that they see it and seem unwilling to address it or that they don't see it when it's glaringly obvious.