Week 6: VIKINGS (4-1) at Dolphins (3-2)

swede700

45 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

we're one of the healthiest teams right now, aren't we?

Yes. 

Ty Chandler (thumb), Lewis Cine (ankle), and Ben Ellefson are the only significant injuries the team has suffered this year, proving no one got hurt against Miami. And Chandler and Ellefson are expected back after their 4 weeks on IR. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes. 

Ty Chandler (thumb), Lewis Cine (ankle), and Ben Ellefson are the only significant injuries the team has suffered this year, proving no one got hurt against Miami. And Chandler and Ellefson are expected back after their 4 weeks on IR. 

And they are at best role players at the moment

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And that's probably the most important reason that they're 5-1, outside of being extremely lucky as to when they are playing these teams.  

The sports performance hire from the Rams seems like it is paying off. The Rams are typically extremely healthy, and it seems as though that is transferring over to us as well.

The Dolphins are on a three-game losing streak, but wide receiver Tyreek Hill is not slowing down. Hill caught 12 passes for 177 yards on Sunday, giving him a league-leading 701 receiving yards through six games this season.

That puts Hill on pace to finish this season with 1,986 receiving yards. The NFL record is 1,964 receiving yards by Calvin Johnson in 2012. (Hill benefits from having a 17-game season; Johnson set the record in a 16-game season.)

As good as Hill was with the Chiefs, he’s doing even more than ever in his first season with the Dolphins: Hill averages 8.3 catches and 116.8 yards per game, both career highs by a large margin.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/17/tyreek-hill-is-on-pace-to-break-calvin-johnsons-single-season-receiving-yardage-record/

https://theathletic.com/3703474/2022/10/18/vikings-dolphins-zadarius-smith/

Some insight into why the offense stalled so often on Sunday. The article talks about The Vikings running the ball from 11 personnel and the Dolphins typically switched from their base 3-4 to a nickel package against 11. They didn't on Sunday and kept 4 LBs in often and that was slowing down the run game, so the offense had to adjust mid game to account for that.

“Basically, they played us differently than any team played us all year,” tight end Irv Smith Jr. said Monday. “They tried to take out a lot of the run game stuff that we do in 11 personnel. So, that was definitely tough.”

Asked about the woes of his offense after the victory, O’Connell highlighted the Dolphins’ defensive switcheroo.

“They have really good coaches on that sideline over there,” he said. “I tip my cap to them early on in that game. They were able to give us tough, tough downs. And I put that on myself. But I’m always going to try to find a way.”

I was just listening to O'Connell's Monday presser, and he iterated pretty much that...the defenses they've played have attacked the Vikings differently than those teams had attacked other teams thus far.  Sure, that happens a lot, but the example provided is that the Dolphins averaged running a 0-blitz 16 times a game...this game they only did it 4 times.  I imagine it was probably because they believe Kirk would have killed them, but it certainly does cause a lot of adjustment in-game, which isn't an easy thing to do. 

• Like 1