Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Looks like I need to apologize to Joe Barry. I've been maintaining that he doesn't make any halftime or in-game adjustments. But I was wrong. He does make adjustments, just in the opposite/wrong direction of what he should be doing....lmao. 

Yep! It was working so well he decided to 'make it better'! 

I haven't read anything concerning this "game".  I'm here to vent.  Apologies in advance.

While watching that game, I came to this conclusion.  This is not a good football team.

There's a TON of talent, especially on defense, but our coaching/gameplanning is poor.

How many times are we going to get beaten on crossing routes against our zone?  All you need to do is run a guy deep, corner carries him, then a safety taken him.

The crosser comes across the field and when he's even with the linebacker, you simply throw to the outside.  Cousins hits this on us over and over and over again.  Now other teams can do it, seemingly whenever they want.

We rush 4.  No twists, no stunts, just a straight 4 man rush.  We don't confuse anyone.

Last year Douglas was a menace as a boundary zone corner.  Now he's in the slot and we are much less effective.

When is the last time you've seen a DB in a position to get a pick?  We have one pick in the secondary, by JA.  Our defense has been figured out, and it didn't take much to do so.

No defensive coordinator in the league has this much talent with these results.

Offensively?  We are poor.  We are not middle of the road, we are poor.  Our passing game, if you can call it that, relies on off coverage to throw stand up passes and hope for some RAC.  When we abandon the run, we lose.  It is that plain and simple.

This is not a contending team.  The offense is bad, the defense is easy to beat.

And MLF can't outcoach anyone at this point and time.  There's no creativity and there is little "fire" on either side of the ball.  We do not travel all that well.

Something needs to change and it needs to happen fast, or this is a 8-9 win team.  I thought bringing in a WR would help things, now I don't think so.  We lack passion and we lack creativity.  That doesn't change with a new player.  We had the best WR in the game last year (arguably) and we still didn't travel well, or play well in big games.

There.  I'm done with that.  Onto the next game.  Another one where on paper, we are superior, and since it is at home, maybe we can squeak out a 3 point victory.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I haven't read anything concerning this "game".  I'm here to vent.  Apologies in advance.

While watching that game, I came to this conclusion.  This is not a good football team.

There's a TON of talent, especially on defense, but our coaching/gameplanning is poor.

How many times are we going to get beaten on crossing routes against our zone?  All you need to do is run a guy deep, corner carries him, then a safety taken him.

The crosser comes across the field and when he's even with the linebacker, you simply throw to the outside.  Cousins hits this on us over and over and over again.  Now other teams can do it, seemingly whenever they want.

We rush 4.  No twists, no stunts, just a straight 4 man rush.  We don't confuse anyone.

Last year Douglas was a menace as a boundary zone corner.  Now he's in the slot and we are much less effective.

When is the last time you've seen a DB in a position to get a pick?  We have one pick in the secondary, by JA.  Our defense has been figured out, and it didn't take much to do so.

No defensive coordinator in the league has this much talent with these results.

Offensively?  We are poor.  We are not middle of the road, we are poor.  Our passing game, if you can call it that, relies on off coverage to throw stand up passes and hope for some RAC.  When we abandon the run, we lose.  It is that plain and simple.

This is not a contending team.  The offense is bad, the defense is easy to beat.

And MLF can't outcoach anyone at this point and time.  There's no creativity and there is little "fire" on either side of the ball.  We do not travel all that well.

Something needs to change and it needs to happen fast, or this is a 8-9 win team.  I thought bringing in a WR would help things, now I don't think so.  We lack passion and we lack creativity.  That doesn't change with a new player.  We had the best WR in the game last year (arguably) and we still didn't travel well, or play well in big games.

There.  I'm done with that.  Onto the next game.  Another one where on paper, we are superior, and since it is at home, maybe we can squeak out a 3 point victory.

I agree with most of this but the contending part. There is more than enough talent for this team to contend. Changes have to be made and the one thing we aren't talking about enough is on the offensive line, Jenkins needs to go inside, and Newman needs a seat. Who the RT is up for debate. Nijman? Tom? Walker? 

Defensively, play downhill, make the quarterback get rid of the ball. Let your strongest position group (CB) man up and shut them the hell down. 

Go get OBJ, because whether it's Rodgers' fault of not, he's the QB so you better get him somebody, so he doesn't have any excuses left. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with most of this but the contending part. There is more than enough talent for this team to contend. Changes have to be made and the one thing we aren't talking about enough is on the offensive line, Jenkins needs to go inside, and Newman needs a seat. Who the RT is up for debate. Nijman? Tom? Walker? 

Defensively, play downhill, make the quarterback get rid of the ball. Let your strongest position group (CB) man up and shut them the hell down. 

Go get OBJ, because whether it's Rodgers' fault of not, he's the QB so you better get him somebody, so he doesn't have any excuses left. 

No.  This is not a contending team.  Through 5 games, this is a team that will be in most games and be an 8-10 win club.  One that will get owned in the playoffs, if they are lucky enough to get there.

Our offense is a ****ty gimmick.  

Our defense is loaded with talent, but is handcuffed by an inept DC.

And our head coach has shown zero signs of turning any of that around.

We do not play with passion.  We play with precision.  And here is a news flash.  We are not good enough to win consistently with precision on offense.   Passion is not in our nature.  It's not how we practice and it is not how we play.

Prove me wrong.  This is a soft team with maybe, maybe average coaching.  

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  This is not a contending team.  Through 5 games, this is a team that will be in most games and be an 8-10 win club.  One that will get owned in the playoffs, if they are lucky enough to get there.

Our offense is a ****ty gimmick.  

Our defense is loaded with talent, but is handcuffed by an inept DC.

And our head coach has shown zero signs of turning any of that around.

We do not play with passion.  We play with precision.  And here is a news flash.  We are not good enough to win consistently with precision on offense.   Passion is not in our nature.  It's not how we practice and it is not how we play.

Prove me wrong.  This is a soft team with maybe, maybe average coaching.  

The ridiculous part is when people are declaring who the contending teams are after 5 games of a 17-game season. Every team is a work in progress right now with some ahead of others in their development. But for some there is no joy in being rational when it comes to the Packers. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, R T said:

The ridiculous part is when people are declaring who the contending teams are after 5 games of a 17-game season. Every team is a work in progress right now with some ahead of others in their development. But for some there is no joy in being rational when it comes to the Packers. 

Can't blame Vegas but have to agree with you for once.  It's still early and their is plenty of time for the Packers to turn it around.  They haven't played good football to date and Vegas is right no signs of it getting better either.  It's been a few years since we have seen this level of poor performance during the regular season.  Lot of new players and moving parts this year.  Mainly on offense.  That was expected.  The Defense on the other hand has reallly underperformed.  Probably the most concerning aspect of the team right now.  

Will they get it together and start playing championship level football?  Really don't know.  Start slow and finish strong is what I'm hoping for.  Team is playing piss poor football and they have a long way to go if they want to compete for the Lombardi.  Just hope to start seeing improvement from week to week.  Right now they are a mess. 

58 minutes ago, R T said:

The ridiculous part is when someone can watch this Packers team and feel, for realsies, that this is a contending team.  Or...for realsies, like it is on par with teams from 2-3 years ago.

I'm not saying who is a contender...outside of GB.

This team is not anywhere near the level of the squad we've had for the past 3 years or so.  The o-line is oh so much worse.  The WR's are either bad, or are not being given a chance to run real routes and have a real passing game.  Our RB's are quite good.  Our QB is fine, but he's no where near an MVP level.

Defense still has the issues with crossers and deep zones against the sideline.  While still not being able to stop the run.

But hey, at least the kicking game is fixed.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lol. 

This is the most talented NFC team. Just need to stop stepping on our own body parts. Hopefully that happens, but this is obviously a contender.

Lol.  

Our QB is not playing anywhere near an MVP level.  Not even close.  

Our offensive line has been poor to bad.

Our defense, which is loaded with talent, is not playing like it.

It is a pretender.  Plain and simple.  We were embarrassed by the only real QB we've played this year in Cousins.  Daniel Freakin' Jones shredded us with ease...and his receivers may be worse than what we have.  A third stringer took us into overtime.  

There is time to turn this around, but I'm not betting on it.  We will squeak out a few wins here and there, and lose pretty decisively in a few games when we play real quarterbacks.  Should we be fortunate enough to see the playoffs, it's gonna be ugly.

54 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Can't blame Vegas but have to agree with you for once.  It's still early and their is plenty of time for the Packers to turn it around.  They haven't played good football to date and Vegas is right no signs of it getting better either.  It's been a few years since we have seen this level of poor performance during the regular season.  Lot of new players and moving parts this year.  Mainly on offense.  That was expected.  The Defense on the other hand has reallly underperformed.  Probably the most concerning aspect of the team right now.  

Will they get it together and start playing championship level football?  Really don't know.  Start slow and finish strong is what I'm hoping for.  Team is playing piss poor football and they have a long way to go if they want to compete for the Lombardi.  Just hope to start seeing improvement from week to week.  Right now they are a mess. 

It isn't just the losses for me.  It is how we've lost.

We play with zero passion.

Our offense, that is supposed to be creative and built off of the run has turned into a stand up pass, borderline screen pass game.

Our RB's are great and Jones is criminally underutilized.

Our offensive line is just plain poor right now.

Either our WR's are that bad, or that dumb to where we don't trust them with downfield routes.

It is the easiest offense to defend.  QB isn't going to harm you with his legs.  Coach/QB won't stick with the run long enough to win the game if it is close.

And defensively, we are very bland and cannot cover the obvious holes that everyone has seen for a few years.

You wanna fix it?  You can't.  You can't coach passion.

You can make adjustments....getting JA in the slot should be move #1.  Calling a more aggressive defensive plan is #2.

But...it's a catch 22.  If you give up a quick, long score, our offense cannot keep up with that.  We need 15 play 7 minute drives to score points.  We have zero big play ability right now.

Again, I'd say we are a WR away from having a different and better offense...and maybe that is Watkins.  Or OBJ, or Fuller, or Claypool.  But I don't think so.  This stand up pass to the flat is the staple of our offense.  If we try for deeper stuff too often, Rodgers is going to end up in the hospital.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Lol. 

This is the most talented NFC team. Just need to stop stepping on our own body parts. Hopefully that happens, but this is obviously a contender.

We are talented no doubt. Depending on how people feel about Hurts, I would actually rank the Eagles roster as the "most talented" in the conference, probably followed by us and Tampa. Now we just need our coaching to catch up to that talent. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's not hard at all. There is talent. That is obvious. But they are not playing up to it consistently. 

Two discrete issues.

I'm going to challenge this whole "there is talent" statement.  And I don't know what I'm going to find.  I'm going into this feeling like Rodgers is above the middle of the road for QB.  Jones is excellent.  Dillion is darned good and all our WR's, outside of Cobb are low level starters.  So are the tight ends.

I'm going to check PFF now to see how the talent has played.  You may hate PFF, but it is a common rating tool where everyone is looked at the same.

Rodgers is the 12th ranked QB.  Cousins is right ahead of him.  Trubisky was #15 and he was benched.  And?  Daniel Jones is 21.  That's around where I'd put Rodgers for this year.  And I'm not bagging on him.  Our offensive stuff has been pretty, well, poor this year.  And he's done what he can.

Jones is the 6th ranked RB.  Dillon is 16th.  Sounds close to right.  Maybe Jones should be a little higher.

Lewis is our highest ranked TE at 24.  Davis is 29.  Tonyan is 36.

Cobb is 6.  Lazard is 38.  Doubs is 57.  

Myers is the 12'th ranked center.  Wow.  Good for him!  He's having a nice start to the year.

Runyan is the 18th ranked guard.  Newman is 25.

Jenks is 13 at tackle.  Nihman is 26.  Bakh is 60.

Clark is 18 on the DL.  Reed is 42.  Lowry is 81.

Campbell is 25 at ILB.  Walker is 71.  (For what it is worth, Devin White is 74)

Gary is 11 at EDGE.  Preston is 49.

Jaire is 22.  Douglas is 50.  Stokes is 66.

Amos is 66 at safety.  Savage is 84.