Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I tend to agree with this but trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a freight train. 

He's got to be smart enough to figure out that is how you have to play in today's NFL. 

Leopard doesn't change its spots

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

A ****stick doesn’t change its ****ery. **** Joe Barry.

If he sticks with Joe Barry and it doesn't work, it will probably be the end of Matt LeFleur as Head Coach. I'm patient, lets see how it turns out. Maybe Barry allows the defensive backs to play more varied coverage like we did against Minnesota. I'm mostly concerned about the run defense. But we'll see.

The big thing to me is to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. That alone would be an accomplishment. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minnypackerfan said:

If he sticks with Joe Barry and it doesn't work, it will probably be the end of Matt LeFleur as Head Coach. I'm patient, lets see how it turns out. Maybe Barry allows the defensive backs to play more varied coverage like we did against Minnesota. I'm mostly concerned about the run defense. But we'll see.

The big thing to me is to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. That alone would be an accomplishment. Rome wasn't built in a day.

No. **** Joe Barry.

I’m sure he’s a decent person, but he’s as good at coaching defense as I am at coaching turtles in calculus.

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm looking for any little thread of hope to cling to and you're killing me here Smalls! 

I'm just the messenger....

December 1st, GB was 4-8 sitting with a top 10 pick with a shot of a top 5 -7 pick.  Philly had just run for a metric ton of yards and Barry ...it felt like was all but out the door.

Here we are today and puck 15, no playoffs and Barry likely returned based on comments from MLF.

Happy times!!!!

Just now, Outpost31 said:

No. **** Joe Barry.

I’m sure he’s a decent person, but he’s as good at coaching defense as I am at coaching turtles in calculus.

Let's see how it goes next year. I'm surprised he is keeping him, as I think most people want Barry gone. So if LeFleur keeps Barry and the defense flounders again, people won't hold Barry responsible, they will hold LeFleur responsible (as they should).

Getting rid of Aaron Rodgers is the top priority.

Just tell him he needs to compete with Jordan Love to be the starter next year. We did that to Favre and he said "trade me".  Want me to respect you Gute, tell him.

6 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Let's see how it goes next year. I'm surprised he is keeping him, as I think most people want Barry gone. So if LeFleur keeps Barry and the defense flounders again, people won't hold Barry responsible, they will hold LeFleur responsible (as they should).

Getting rid of Aaron Rodgers is the top priority.

Just tell him he needs to compete with Jordan Love to be the starter next year. We did that to Favre and he said "trade me".  Want me to respect you Gute, tell him.

I keep saying that the most cosmically funny thing Murphy can do is tell Rodgers he has to compete with Love, and then follow it up by offering him the same retirement endorsement bribe he offered Favre 15 years ago. 

14 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

There's also the issue of two gapping with our D-Line. I never understood why anyone would do this in modern football. It kills the pass rush. We need a one gap philosophy and Barry ain't it. Prediction for next year is 5-12. Barry and MLF lose the locker room. New HC in 2024 is Luke Getsky. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

There's also the issue of two gapping with our D-Line. I never understood why anyone would do this in modern football. It kills the pass rush. We need a one gap philosophy and Barry ain't it. Prediction for next year is 5-12. Barry and MLF lose the locker room. New HC in 2024 is Luke Getsky. 

Agreed with you that if unsuccessful will lead to the firing of LeFleur. I also agree with your one gap philosophy assessment because when you look at the talent on the defensive line, they are not two gap hold the point stack players.  They look like they would work better in a one gap system. But this is on LeFleur. Not Barry. Barry is just giving the Head Coach what Barry believes in which is an umbrella style defense. LeFleur could go with someone else if he wanted to, but apparently he does not want to change it.  So, its on him.

Barry told reporter Ryan Wood the following, which is when I knew he needed to go”

Joe Barry says he's had sleepless nights wondering why this #Packers defense hasn't reached its potential and expectation this season. He can't target any one thing for its failings, he said. Indeed, there's been a lot more problems than one.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Barry told reporter Ryan Wood the following, which is when I knew he needed to go”

Joe Barry says he's had sleepless nights wondering why this #Packers defense hasn't reached its potential and expectation this season. He can't target any one thing for its failings, he said. Indeed, there's been a lot more problems than one.

Genius-level stuff 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I started this thread and believe he should have been fired today. I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Moreso because I can't believe he's still here but here goes. 

The defense was lights out against San Fran in the playoffs last year. The offense and special teams lost that game. The last five games we've looked competent to good on defense. 

I'm going to say MFL and Barry had a meeting of the minds and we are going to play more aggressive and not allow teams to run it down our throats. 

This defense should have the talent to be elite. Even if we don't bring back Amos or Lowry, we still have a lot of talent all across the field. You could actually move on from Preston Smith too. 

If Barry plays downhill this is a top 10 defense. IF not, well MFL and Gute ****ed up again. 

I was firmly in the fire Barry camp at the mid way point of the season.  But I also thought that it wouldn't do any good to fire him until the end of the season.  The defense did play better in the last 5 games.  Now, if you were giving him a fair shot to turn it around from that point, he probably earned the job back.  I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I can understand part of the reasoning.

The most frustrating part, to me, is that the defense can play well, and be fun to watch, under Joe Barry; but most of the time it is anything but good or fun to watch.  I have no problem with Joe Barry, if he runs the defense like he did against SF or MN.  I just don't trust that he won't revert back to that soft zone that he seems to default back to constantly.  And we will be back to hoping for a false start and an incomplete pass in a series, to maybe get off the field. 

For a large portion of the last two seasons, he has run exactly what I like to see, in the preseason.  But when the game counts, it is usually better to see if the team can find a solution rather than finding whether we can fix a weak link by trying the same thing again.

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Also, to add to my previous post.

I don't have a solution.  Other than make him call the "good" defense, that we have, on occasion, seen.

And it isn't like we are going cheap on defense.  We are paying like 4 guys on offense, and Crosby.  Everything else is devoted to the defense.

That’s the frustrating part - we have the ponies to be consistently above average on defense.  I doubt it’s the personnel - even the thoroughbreds are voicing their concerns throughout the season about the scheme.  I don’t know man, it’s been a frustrating run on defense for this team for far too long, especially with a majority share of draft capital invested on that side of the ball.  Something’s gotta give.