Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

12 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

If he sticks with Joe Barry and it doesn't work, it will probably be the end of Matt LeFleur as Head Coach. I'm patient, lets see how it turns out. Maybe Barry allows the defensive backs to play more varied coverage like we did against Minnesota. I'm mostly concerned about the run defense. But we'll see.

The big thing to me is to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. That alone would be an accomplishment. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Joe Barry won't be the end of Lafleur the same way Capers didn't end McCarthy when it was clear to everyone the move was 3 years overdue.

Lafleur's career here will depend on Rodgers or Love. If Rodgers comes back and the offense is suspect once more that will probably end him. If Love is bad Gute will fire him just so he can pass the buck and draft another QB.

3 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

If he sticks with Joe Barry and it doesn't work, it will probably be the end of Matt LeFleur as Head Coach. I'm patient, lets see how it turns out. Maybe Barry allows the defensive backs to play more varied coverage like we did against Minnesota. I'm mostly concerned about the run defense. But we'll see.

The big thing to me is to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. That alone would be an accomplishment. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Honestly, it should end the entire regime. Not trading Rodgers was bad enough, but if they try to do it AGAIN (assuming Rodgers returns) then there is no defending any of them. I hope that I can old takes exposed myself after next season, but MLF isn't really inspiring any confidence that the team has learned its lesson.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Striker said:

Honestly, it should end the entire regime. Not trading Rodgers was bad enough, but if they try to do it AGAIN (assuming Rodgers returns) then there is no defending any of them. I hope that I can old takes exposed myself after next season, but MLF isn't really inspiring any confidence that the team has learned its lesson.

I agree .. if they decide to run it back and it's another non playoff season all of the pillars of power should be fired.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Striker said:

With the way Mark Murphy set up the power structure, it would not surprise me if Gute wanted to trade Rodgers and Murphy vetoed it. Murphy is gonna be retiring in the next few years and last thing he probably wants to do is go through a full rebuild. 

3 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

Next up Rodgers returns and we run it back in 2023 to another disappointing non playoff season with a poor draft pick. Not sure I will have an ounce of enthusiasm if our team and staff looks the same just with new rookies.

And then a tidal wave hits GB and Lambeau Field gets washed away

It was the defense that got the Packers back into playoff contention. Gave up just 17.6 PPG and forced 12 turnovers in the 4 wins. And played well enough to win vs Detroit if offense hadn't turned it over 3 times. Now, it took Barry too long to get the defense playing at a high level, but few if any teams would fire Barry in this situation. On the other hand, on how many NFL teams would Adam Stenavich be the offensive coordinator?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree .. if they decide to run it back and it's another non playoff season all of the pillars of power should be fired.

So two consecutive seasons of not reaching the playoffs is grounds for firing all the pillars or power?
Standards are pretty high around Green Bay.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

So two consecutive seasons of not reaching the playoffs is grounds for firing all the pillars or power?
Standards are pretty high around Green Bay.

Took less to scrap the last three coaches prior to MLF, so yeah, high standards.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I cant think of who preceded MM - but IMO the deciding factor in him letting go (or getting rid of him) was the festering dispute with AR.

Ray Rhodes had a single 8-8 year, but was let go due to lax discipline. Team wasn't better or worse than the record.
Mike Sherman had a 4-12 season in '05, after a multi-playoff run over the prior four seasons.
McCarthy himself had a Rodgers-less year prior to his last, which most would say can't count, so one to two seasons of mediocrity or worse with an asterix.

Then again, cleaning out the GM and maybe even President positions is new territory for us. Last GM to be unquestionably canned(Wolf's predecessor) had multiple bad seasons on his track record.

46 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Ray Rhodes had a single 8-8 year, but was let go due to lax discipline. Team wasn't better or worse than the record.
Mike Sherman had a 4-12 season in '05, after a multi-playoff run over the prior four seasons.
McCarthy himself had a Rodgers-less year prior to his last, which most would say can't count, so one to two seasons of mediocrity or worse with an asterix.

Then again, cleaning out the GM and maybe even President positions is new territory for us. Last GM to be unquestionably canned(Wolf's predecessor) had multiple bad seasons on his track record.

Sherman was relieved of GM duties before his last season as coach.  That also made him a lame duck, unless that team pulled a miracle, which it clearly didn't.  

That 05 team was laughably bad.  It was going to be a down season as is, then everyone got hurt, and the wheels came off.  I was around for most of the 80s.  The 05 team is among the worst Packers teams of my lifetime.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave