Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Random thoughts I felt the need to put somewhere.

The Lions' offense finished the season ranked 5th in points, 4th in yards.  They scored 30+ 8 times, including 3 games of 40+.  In the 8 games they played between the two Packers games (weeks 10 through 17) they were averaging 30.625 points/game.  Averaging.  In two games against Green Bay, they scored 35 points total.  17.5 points/game on average.  Barry's defense held the Lions to their 3rd and 4th worst games of their season scoring-wise. 

The Lions' defense finished the season ranked 28th in points, 32nd in yards.  Dead last, woo hoo.  They allowed 30+ 5 times.  Now granted, they finished the season playing much, much better, but they still allowed an average of 22.125 points for those same 8 games mentioned above.  Green Bay scored 9 and 16 points, or 25 points total.  They managed to score roughly the Lions per game average across two games, against the 32nd/28th ranked defense in football.

More notes:

• The offense finished 20th in 1st downs gained.  The defense finished 10th.
  • The offense finished 17th in 3rd down %, the defense finished 8th.
  • The offense finished 28th in 4th down %, the defense finished 23rd.
  • The offense finished 24th in red zone TD %, the defense finished 13th.
  • The offense had the 6th best starting position per drive this season.  They were 16th in % of drives ending in a score.  Defense had the 19th best starting position in football per drive.  They were 10th in % of drives ending in a score.
  • The offense finished 17th in turnover %.  The defense finished 7th.

Both the defense and offense missed key starters, but the offense had the reigning MVP two years running at the helm for all 17 games.  The defense performed at about the level of their healthy talent IMO, but the offense really underperformed their talent level.

All of this is ....

shocked the princess bride GIF

11 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Random thoughts I felt the need to put somewhere.

The Lions' offense finished the season ranked 5th in points, 4th in yards.  They scored 30+ 8 times, including 3 games of 40+.  In the 8 games they played between the two Packers games (weeks 10 through 17) they were averaging 30.625 points/game.  Averaging.  In two games against Green Bay, they scored 35 points total.  17.5 points/game on average.  Barry's defense held the Lions to their 3rd and 4th worst games of their season scoring-wise. 

The Lions' defense finished the season ranked 28th in points, 32nd in yards.  Dead last, woo hoo.  They allowed 30+ 5 times.  Now granted, they finished the season playing much, much better, but they still allowed an average of 22.125 points for those same 8 games mentioned above.  Green Bay scored 9 and 16 points, or 25 points total.  They managed to score roughly the Lions per game average across two games, against the 32nd/28th ranked defense in football.

More notes:

• The offense finished 20th in 1st downs gained.  The defense finished 10th.
  • The offense finished 17th in 3rd down %, the defense finished 8th.
  • The offense finished 28th in 4th down %, the defense finished 23rd.
  • The offense finished 24th in red zone TD %, the defense finished 13th.
  • The offense had the 6th best starting position per drive this season.  They were 16th in % of drives ending in a score.  Defense had the 19th best starting position in football per drive.  They were 10th in % of drives ending in a score.
  • The offense finished 17th in turnover %.  The defense finished 7th.

Both the defense and offense missed key starters, but the offense had the reigning MVP two years running at the helm for all 17 games.  The defense performed at about the level of their healthy talent IMO, but the offense really underperformed their talent level.

Stop making it harder for me to just say Barry sucks.  It's all I have right now as a Packers fan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Stop making it harder for me to just say Barry sucks.  It's all I have right now as a Packers fan.

Don 't worry a number of us will accept Barry sucks, Barry chokes, Barry s/b fired. All and more are acceptable. As murh as MrBob makes great points about our MVP when it came down to it they could not score, but as usual going back to 4th and 26th our D couldn't stop anyone either. Stats for the year were not bad, we got run on early and often. We are about as agressive as a possum. 1 game this year did we show any stones on that side of the ball and take the game to the other team. Beyond that we played an AR style barely passive agressive enough to win. 

The Interview—Early 2021

MLF—Give us a feel for how you do things. Walk us through your day.

JB—Well, I generally come in about fifteen minutes late…through the side door so the coach doesn’t see me. Then I just space out for an hour. I like to think of defense as a process of relaxing things…not too tight, you know? Hey, I gotta go. I hope your playoffs go really well.

MLF—(whispers to Gute) He’s the guy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

probably the best defensive coach GB has

Gray might be the most overrated asst. coach to ever coach in GB, it is odd how highly some think of him as a coach. Can only hope that the Falcons hire him, but most likely it is the token interview of a minority who they know will fail to satisfy those watchdogging that process.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R T said:

Gray might be the most overrated asst. coach to ever coach in GB, it is odd how highly some think of him as a coach. Can only hope that the Falcons hire him, but most likely it is the token interview of a minority who they know will fail to satisfy those watchdogging that process.   

I mean sadly to be an overrated defensive coach on the Packers, the fanbase just has to think you're average.

• 2 weeks later...

Points aren't all that matter apparently.

Rams - 15th in points against, 5th in interceptions, 3rd in sacks.
Buccaneers - 7th in interceptions, 5th in sacks, 8th in points against.
Chiefs - 7th in points against, 5th in interceptions, 11th in sacks.
Patriots - 7th in points against, 3rd in interceptions, 30th in sacks.
Eagles - 4th in points, 4th in interceptions, 16th in sacks.
Patriots - 1st in points, 15th in interceptions, 16th in sacks.
Broncos - 4th in points, 14th in interceptions, 1st in sacks.
Patriots - 8th in points, 12th in interceptions, 14th in sacks.
Seahawks - 1st in points, 1st in interceptions, 8th in sacks.
Ravens - 13th in points, 19th in interceptions, 16th in sacks.

It's trending more and more and more towards needing to be able to get after the QB and get interceptions.