Let's talk Jon Robinson

deeluxx3

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The allocation of resources in 2021 is so rough. He’s really lucky the Colts didn’t value Autry properly, because a team with limited cap space spending big on Dupree and Julio and dropping their first two picks on Farley and Radunz could not have possibly worked out worse.

and as good of a signing as autry was, he's 32 and liable to drop off a cliff at any moment. this team is set up incredibly poorly for the future.

The biggest indictment on Robinson is the positions that were huge question marks a couple of seasons ago (T, WR, CB) remain huge concerns now even after heavily investing in it through the draft and free agency.

I just can’t get over how bad he’s botch things through the draft and free agency since the 2020 playoff run.

His entire reputation as a good GM stems from 2019. His first two offseasons here were fine, but mostly came as a result of him stepping into an incredibly valuable asset that he, to his credit, turned into a boatload of picks. And obviously the two offseasons following 2019 were abject failures. I’ll leave 2022 up in the air, though it’s going to be tough to overcome the AJ trade.

• Like 2

This is going to sound contradictory 

but I do think he’s a very good GM

but I think he’s treading down on a very very sharp decline 

I know we should all “be over it” and convince ourselves that he didn’t want to be here, but the AJ trade is truly, IMO, the worst personnel decision this franchise has ever made since legit locking out Steve McNair 

it was a devastating mistake from Robinson, an arrogant one, and we are already paying the price 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twotonebluenation said:

if he finds in a nightmare way to not sign 98. We got serious, SERIOUS problems.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

if we let jeffery simmons walk i am going to toss jon robinson out of the facility myself. what an abject disaster that would be

and i'd say "there's no way" but that's what i thought about AJ, so. no benefit of the doubt here, jon, sorry

If Simmons isn’t back then yeah, can him the next ******* day.

As for AJ, I don’t blame JRob as much as a lot of others. I mean, we were really drastically underutilizing him. That likely was not gonna change, and he wasn’t willing to spend $25 million on a player that wouldn’t be used that much.

And JRob ain’t the one deciding to not throw the ball to playmakers.

Still think they should have brought him back anyway, but I get the decision.

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

This is going to sound contradictory 

but I do think he’s a very good GM

but I think he’s treading down on a very very sharp decline 

I know we should all “be over it” and convince ourselves that he didn’t want to be here, but the AJ trade is truly, IMO, the worst personnel decision this franchise has ever made since legit locking out Steve McNair 

it was a devastating mistake from Robinson, an arrogant one, and we are already paying the price 

from 2016 to 2019, he built an average-to-slightly-below-average roster into one on the verge of becoming an AFC powerhouse. he deserves credit for that.

in the years since, not only did he completely fail to push that 2019 roster over the top, but he has severely lowered the overall talent level on this team such that the roster is basically just average again.

that's what makes him tough to evaluate. he's undeniably done good work here during his tenure but the last three years have been absolutely catastrophic from a drafting standpoint, with some bonus bad trades and FA signings to boot. i mean it's really, really disastrous. 

22 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

His entire reputation as a good GM stems from 2019. His first two offseasons here were fine, but mostly came as a result of him stepping into an incredibly valuable asset that he, to his credit, turned into a boatload of picks. And obviously the two offseasons following 2019 were abject failures. I’ll leave 2022 up in the air, though it’s going to be tough to overcome the AJ trade.

I’ll admit I forgot 2016 was actually his first year here. And that was almost certainly his second best offseason in his tenure.

The AJ trade is the only reason I'm even reading this. 1st time I legit DOUBTED him. We lose big Jeff and I'm all for letting him go. 

BUT! It's pretty clear he is gonna be the guy for the next 3 years at LEAST and I'm fine with that. Injuries have killed us the last two years. THE BIG two years you fine folks are pointing out and like you said with every hit there is a miss but the HITS have been big boy ones so I'm chilling

It’s just so weird to me how he found success building one direction, then went completely off the deep end for two years. Conklin, CD, Adoree, Henry, Landry. He started off drafting just straight up good football players. Not chasing superstars. Just adding consistent talent.

That extended to his outside additions too. Demarco Murray, Ben Jones, Rodger Saffold, Malcolm Butler. Hell, even Tannehill. Just quality, roster building pieces. Not major splashes.

It works. Gets us to an AFCCG. Have a roster with pieces to build around. Then he just completely loses his mind. I don’t know if it’s arrogance. That he looks at the team and says he did it once, so they’re all replaceable and he’ll just do it again. But we let talent walk, and then it feels like he just starts getting desperate. 

23 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Whether we “underutilized” him or not, AJ deserved a blank check

he was the single most important skill position player on our offense. You need a legit #1 to compete for Super Bowls 

I agree. I’m just saying I understand the decision-making process. I think pretty much every poster on this subforum was ready to back up the Brinks truck for AJ, and assumed that re-signing was a no brainer.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I agree. I’m just saying I understand the decision-making process. I think pretty much every poster on this subforum was ready to back up the Brinks truck for AJ, and assumed that re-signing was a no brainer.

I don’t know if I’ve ever been more blindsided by sports than I was on draft night. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I don’t know if I’ve ever been more blindsided by sports than I was on draft night. 

I was ****posting someone on Facebook who said something about AJ Brown being a trade target like the day before.

The idea that we wouldn’t re-sign one of the top WRs in the NFL seemed so asinine.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The exact number is hyperbole.

The point is he's bad and people don't want to give up on their previous beliefs despite the fact that the only good draft he's ever had was in 2019 and he already lost a star 25 year old player from that class that defined his career.

He hasn't been great but to say he's been BAD is a reach. He's drafted, Henry, Byard, laundry, Simmons, Nate Davis, Hooker, Long, Fulton, Moden, Rice, Weaver all still on the team, plus this years draft class has shown decent upside so far.  Plus Conklin, and AJ Brown. Drafting isn't the only measure of success for a GM. His trades have been pretty damn good for the most part. Tanny an above average starting QB for a 4th round pick is outstanding regardless of your feelings about him. moving back a few spots in the 4th round to get Demarco Murry was a great move. Getting Denis Kelly for Green-Beckham was awesome, Getting anything out Willson was great. Also but people don't seem to understand he's limited on the contract's he's able to hand out. he can't manipulate the cap like other teams. Amy is rich but by NFL owner standards, she poor. That's why some of these players we had to let walk. Conklin and Jonnu had to go if we wanted to keep Henry and Tanny. Harold laundry wouldn't be here if we payed AJ. That's just the sad truth. As much as we want every good/great player we draft to stay with the Titans for their entire career It's just not gonna happen unless Amy somehow triples her bank account balance.

I will say If Robinsons most recent 2022 draft and this upcoming offseason don't get productive starters out of them he should probably be gone.