Let's talk Jon Robinson

deeluxx3

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I bolded all of the players you want to give Robinson credit for drafting who are starters on this team before injuries.

Of those 8 players, 4 we're drafted outside of 2019.

His chair should be on fire. He's been downright terrible outside of 2019 and the only thing that has stopped everyone for calling for his head is because we've managed to win in spite of all of his failures.

You don't keep Mularkey and Mariota simply because the team overcame their bad coaching/play and made the playoffs in the past and you don't keep a bad GM because the team managed to overcome his failures.

He's not good and I don't think it's up for debate.

It is up for debate. Hints the entire post lol. Like King just pointed out you are choosing to focus solely on the misses and you're failing to see anything else he's done. Henry, Byard, laundry, Simmons, Nate Davis, Hooker, Long, Fulton, Moden, Rice, Weaver, Aodree, Conklin, Corey Davis, Rashean Evans Jayon Brown, and many more. all drafted by Robinson and all made big contributions.  The only first round pick he's just flat out missed on is Wilson and Farley so far. Other highly rated GM's have missed on just as many or more 1st round draft picks as Robinson.

Outside of missing on first round picks at the same rate as nearly every other GM what proof do you have that he's "not good"??

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

When the coaches get undrafted guys to come in and outperform the guys the GM prioritized, that's not a positive for the GM. 

So you don't think the GM gets any credit for getting the undrafted guys in the building? Last time I checked its still the GM signing those guys. Not the coach. 

Just now, lovetitans said:

It is up for debate. Hints the entire post lol. Like King just pointed out you are choosing to focus solely on the misses and you're failing to see anything else he's done. Henry, Byard, laundry, Simmons, Nate Davis, Hooker, Long, Fulton, Moden, Rice, Weaver, Aodree, Conklin, Corey Davis, Rashean Evans Jayon Brown, and many more. all drafted by Robinson and all made big contributions.  The only first round pick he's just flat out missed on is Wilson and Farley so far. Other highly rated GM's have missed on just as many or more 1st round draft picks as Robinson.

Outside of missing on first round picks at the same rate as nearly every other GM what proof do you have that he's "not good"??

Half the guys you listed aren't starters on this current team. Why would I be giving him credit for team building in 2022 when he didn't even think enough of his picks to pick up their fifth year options?

I'm focusing on hits not misses, and if you look at what he's done for our current team it's ugly as hell outside of 2019.

It shouldn't be up for debate just like you all shouldn't have been debating benching Mariota, yet here we are. 

1 minute ago, lovetitans said:

So you don't think the GM gets any credit for getting the undrafted guys in the building? Last time I checked its still the GM signing those guys. Not the coach. 

He didn't draft them either. He didn't think they were talented enough to be worth even a 7th round pick.

Congrats to the coaches for getting guys no one thought were talented to over perform their expectations.

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I bolded all of the players you want to give Robinson credit for drafting who are starters on this team before injuries.

Of those 8 players, 4 we're drafted outside of 2019.

His chair should be on fire. He's been downright terrible outside of 2019 and the only thing that has stopped everyone for calling for his head is because we've managed to win in spite of all of his failures.

You don't keep Mularkey and Mariota simply because the team overcame their bad coaching/play and made the playoffs in the past and you don't keep a bad GM because the team managed to overcome his failures.

He's not good and I don't think it's up for debate.

Terrible?
I mean yeah the 1st round picks of Wilson and Farley are looking bad.

You look at the total drafts:
Henry, Byard, Landry, Simmons, Davis, Hooker, Fulton, David Long,

If you want to talk about identifying talent and getting meaningful games/play:
Add, Jayon Brown, Arthur Brown, Davis, Adoree, Jonnu, Sharpe, Cruishank, Weaver, Molden, NPF, McCreary.
Then UDFA's Tart, NWI, Brewer, Naquon Jones, Tory Carter, Stonehouse

2020 sucked as draft class,
But he still got Fulton, Murchinson, Chris Jackson, NWI, Tart and Brewer as contributing players.  Six players.

2021 sucked with Farely and Radunz
Still got Molden, Rice (trending as a good player), Weaver tied with team leading 4 sacks after 5 games, McRath who was trending upwards. Plus a starting FB, and rotational DT as UDFAs. 6 players. 
Yes he has failed to draft outright impact players in those 2 drafts. But has 12 players right there that served as great depth or contributing players.  

I'm curious to know what quantifies as an excellent GM. 

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Half the guys you listed aren't starters on this current team. Why would I be giving him credit for team building in 2022 when he didn't even think enough of his picks to pick up their fifth year options?

I'm focusing on hits not misses, and if you look at what he's done for our current team it's ugly as hell outside of 2019.

It shouldn't be up for debate just like you all shouldn't have been debating benching Mariota, yet here we are. 

It's dumb to think you can keep every single player you ever draft on the same team for their entire career.  Nobody does that. You seem to be just trolling at this point lol. 

You say you're focused on hits and not misses. well it seems that he's had more hits overall than misses. 

Edited by lovetitans
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

He didn't draft them either. He didn't think they were talented enough to be worth even a 7th round pick.

Congrats to the coaches for getting guys no one thought were talented to over perform their expectations.

So what do you give the GM credit of doing?
Last I checked every GM in the league plays the draft as a game. Who can they get and where?
I'm sure the league would have loved to try to draft someone like Mahomes in the 6th round if they didn't think anyone else would. 
 Getting a guy as UDFA shouldn't be a negative. I think that means, you see something others don't see and you think you can get him for "free" without spending a draft pick because other GMs don't have your eye. 

1 hour ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Now… that being said... 

I’ve wondered all year if the AJ Brown trade could have caused tension between JRob and Vrabel. Cuz I’m convinced Vrabs didn’t want nor believe he was going to lose AJB. If he’s been skeptical at all of other moves, that could have put it over the top… but I’m just speculating.

I personally DO believe it’s causing a smidge of tension

i believe I said on draft night if it was “the beginning of the end” between those two

But at the time I was approx 3 bourbons and 2.5 grams of bubba kush deep.

all thanks to jrob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

So what do you give the GM credit of doing?
Last I checked every GM in the league plays the draft as a game. Who can they get and where?
I'm sure the league would have loved to try to draft someone like Mahomes in the 6th round if they didn't think anyone else would. 
 Getting a guy as UDFA shouldn't be a negative. I think that means, you see something others don't see and you think you can get him for "free" without spending a draft pick because other GMs don't have your eye. 

It's not a negative, but Tart was not some talent that our big-brain GM identified. Our GM didn't spend a pick on him so he didn't think he was that talented either.

He had a little bit of luck and some good coaching on the DL, as well as playing beside one of the best iDL on the game.

A lot of the draft is luck, but Robinson's "luck" in the early rounds where you need to find players who are more than just another guy is garbage.

Edited by TitanSS

I'm telling you guys you're defending Mariota, Mettenberger, *insert under-achieving fan-favorite* all over again.

No, not every pick he's ever had sucks. Yes, 2019 was good.

Robinson's 2019 draft is the equivalent of Mariota's 8 game stretch in 2016 that had fans refusing to believe he wasn't a franchise QB.

Edited by TitanSS

Just now, TitanSS said:

I'm telling you guys you're defending Mariota, Mettenberger, *insert under-achieving fan-favorite* all over again.

Robinson's 2019 draft is the equivalent of Mariota's 8 game stretch in 2018 that had fans refusing to believe he wasn't a franchise QB.

Just don't see it as the same. 
Mett was hoping for potential. 
Marcus was holding onto 1 year.
However, Robinson has a history of sustained success to go along with wins. 

Until we are 2-15, it's going to be hard to say, man get rid of that guy that never had a losing season and 4 out of 6 years of playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It's not a negative, but Tart was not some talent that our big-brain GM identified. Our GM didn't spend a pick on him so he didn't think he was that talented either.

He had a little bit of luck and some good coaching on the DL, as well as playing beside one of the best iDL on the game.

A lot of the draft is luck, but Robinson's "luck" in the early rounds where you need to find players who are more than just another guy is garbage.

That just seems to warping something to fit your point. 
Why does it have to be luck?
I mean ever since he got here, he has managed to pull about 2 NFL players out of UDFA. I don't know what other GMs are doing, but I don't see that often.

Last season alone, should give him and his department a big gold star. 
Kept finding guys that could at least hold water long enough to win games. 

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Robinson's 2019 draft is the equivalent of Mariota's 8 game stretch in 2018 that had fans refusing to believe he wasn't a franchise QB.

No we're not. We have given you proof that he's not bad and you're just screaming he missed 2 first round picks and he's a failure since every players he's ever drafted isn't a current starter on the 2022 Titans team. 

ridiculous that you think the GM is a failure for NOT using a draft pick on players we pick up as UDFA

Stonehouse is a failure because we DIDN'T use a draft pick on him? lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just don't see it as the same. 
Mett was hoping for potential. 
Marcus was holding onto 1 year.
However, Robinson has a history of sustained success to go along with wins. 

Until we are 2-15, it's going to be hard to say, man get rid of that guy that never had a losing season and 4 out of 6 years of playoffs. 

I hate that fans think this way. The team was 9-7 three straight years despite Mariota being a bottom-tier QB and fans want to hold on to him until he ruins the franchise instead of moving on from him when it's obvious that he has massive limitations.

It's the exact same thing.

Firing Mularkey was the right move despite him going 9-7 and 9-7 with a playoff win.

You don't keep betting into a losing hand just because you already have money in the pot.

Edited by TitanSS