RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Kermit
    • Sid
    • I just hope everyone enjoys themselves

4 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Can you refresh me on the rules in 04? I was pretty young then. But wouldnt mind seeing some changes in DPI.

Copy-Paste Stealing a definition because I'm lazy:

Illegal contact, and a crackdown on PI. This basically took away the true physical corner that wasn't great in coverage but could maul the reciever so he couldn't get out to the route in the first place.

Obviously this gave birth to a new Era of speedy WRs who would have been pounded into the dirt under the old format, and passing offense has never looked back

Not only has passing yards gone way up, but so has penalty yards even as people are backing off receivers more and more. This keeps drives alive, and allows for more scoring opportunities.

For some perspective, the total accepted defensive penalties for primarily defense 'passing' penalties (Pass Interference, Illegal Contact, and Defensive holding):

Today

2016: 5780 yards

2015: 5472 yards

Before the Changes

2003: 4594 yards

2002: 4361 yards

The loudest player proponent for the rule changes was Peyton Manning. I remember the year before his receivers (namely the nimble Marvin Harrison) had been bullied throughout their routes in the post-season. The league change is (at least from public perception) partially due to the Colts’ complaints.

Of interest is the TD numbers of Peyton the year before and after the change:

2003: 29 TD

2004: 49 TD (then record)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jofos said:

I thought it was a good call  lol

The bodyweight rule is a thing, and I have a hard time not seeing that as a bodyweight sack. He landed right on him. Dumb rule, but it's a real thing. 

I do wonder if you pick up that flag given the QB wasn't in the possession of the ball at the time though lol