Week 6 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons

J-ALL-DAY

Well, a win is a win but damn was the Panthers game costly. Sucks that we lost so many players against an inferior team like the Panthers. Anyways, on to Atlanta.......

Our offense has finally woken up and are operating at an very efficient level. Two games in a row the team has averaged over 6.4 YPP. Jimmy is standing in there and delivering some nice balls in the face of pressure, and our running game has looked solid the last two weeks as well. Kittle finally got involved early in the game but it is obvious that our weapons won't be fully utilized in this offense and there will be games where one or two of the top 3 weapons have quiet games. It doesn't even matter which weapons gets majority of the targets, just continue being efficient. We should be able to put up points this game.

Defensively, I think we can count on Bosa missing the game as he was still dealing with tightness yesterday and it's likely not to get much better the rest of the week. Armstead/Kinlaw are already out and obviously we just lost a stud corner in Moseley. Shanny mentioned the young corners but also Dontae Johnson as an potential replacement for him until Verrett gets up to speed. When that happens, it will be Verrett's job. Here is his quote from yesterday:

“If Verrett’s good to go, he’s a big-time corner, so if Verrett can get these practice reps and get out there and get fully healed and get back into game shape and ready to go, he’ll end up being our guy.”

The question is how long will it take Verrett to get into game shape and be ready to go? I think he gets activated this week but does not start. Maybe they give him a series here or there to ramp up before it is his job. In the meantime, I hope they go with Womack on the outside. Some players just are ballhawks and he is one of them. He is super sticky in coverage and physical at the point of attack. As I mentioned yesterday, my only concern is his long speed but give him a shot and see what he can do. The Falcons may be without Pitts again and while London can win deep, it is not going to be with his speed. Our defense will see a slipup of some sort and how can it not? But it should still be good enough with the rest of the talent we have. Big game upcoming from Warner and Greenlaw.

SF 31

ATL 20

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, a win is a win but damn was the Panthers game costly. Sucks that we lost so many players against an inferior team like the Panthers. Anyways, on to Atlanta.......

I believe Carolina has turf, correct? I still believe there are more leg injuries on turf than grass and all football should be played on grass. I'm very glad Bosa only had a groin injury. Both he and Solomon went down with ACL injuries when we played at the Jets a little while back...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

26-24 49ers I guess. Wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons win this one with the walking wounded the team is fielding. 

To be fair, you literally said you wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers won last week and that was bat ish crazy 😂.

But yeah, this game can definitely be tight with how Atlanta competes every week and all the injuries this team is dealing with. 

Just now, Forge said:

Could have said the same about losing to Chicago lol

That is true....No question that was a bad loss but the Panthers?? Really? In a good weather game?? At least there was a monsoon in Chicago where it opens up some funky results...But in a freaking 70 degrees weather in sunny North Carolina??? Against Baker "worst QB in the league" Mayfield??? Come on now, we were never going to lose to them...even if Jimmy played like he did against Denver lol.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That is true....No question that was a bad loss but the Panthers?? Really? In a good weather game?? At least there was a monsoon in Chicago where it opens up some funky results...But in a freaking 70 degrees weather in sunny North Carolina??? Against Baker "worst QB in the league" Mayfield??? Come on now, we were never going to lose to them...even if Jimmy played like he did against Denver lol.

Sadly, we have a habit of dropping those sort of games. 

We got blown out by Colt McCoy

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Sadly, we have a habit of dropping those sort of games. 

We got blown out by Colt McCoy

The Cards were actually good up until that point...The Panthers? Not so much lol.

Hayward/Terrell are going to be a tough duo for our WRs to deal with. Looking forward to those match ups. 

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Cards were actually good up until that point...The Panthers? Not so much lol.

Hayward/Terrell are going to be a tough duo for our WRs to deal with. Looking forward to those match ups. 

The cards were good with kyler and watt, et al. They legit didn't have watt, Hopkins, Kyler, for the game. That's not even the same team.

That same Colt McCoy led lost to the Carolina Panthers by 4 scores the following week.

This team is inconsistent enough to pretty much never have my full trust against any team when I know they can just turn into that team that lost to the bears or the broncos lol 

--------

I expect a heavy Kittle game. Curious to see if we push deebo in the slot some to keep him away from those outside corners. 

This team does tend to get better as the season goes on though. Not sure what's up with shanny and the team when they starts the season. 

So the more weeks go by, the more comfortable you feel about them not just taking a week off... Except that random Atlanta game in 2019. But at least Atlanta was mediocre and not just straight up bad

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I believe Carolina has turf, correct? I still believe there are more leg injuries on turf than grass and all football should be played on grass. I'm very glad Bosa only had a groin injury. Both he and Solomon went down with ACL injuries when we played at the Jets a little while back...

They need to ban turf. Way too many injuries because of it. I think we win this week, if the Falcons aren't taken lightly. 

• Like 2

Well the Falcons aren’t the healthiest, they won’t have Patterson and may not have Pitts. They rely heavily on their running game, but if we can contain those RBs and Mariota, this shouldn’t be too tall a task for our defense, even with our injury issues.

also, you could argue that the Panthers defense is better than the Falcons, and our offense just had their best game against them….so there is reason for optimism.

this may be the first, and hopefully only , week that the offense will have to carry a bit more weight for the defense, especially if they sit Bosa

27-13 NINERS

Edited by P_locniners

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

Well the Falcons aren’t the healthiest, they won’t have Patterson and may not have Pitts. They rely heavily on their running game, but if we can contain those RBs and Mariota, this shouldn’t be too tall a task for our defense, even with our injury issues.

also, you could argue that the Panthers defense is better than the Falcons, and our offense just had their best game against them….so there is reason for optimism.

this may be the first, and hopefully only , week that the offense will have to carry a bit more weight for the defense, especially if they sit Bosa

27-13 NINERS

Not a knock on the Falcons at all, but should 100% be a team that we beat pretty comfortably. I just don't know that we will. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not a knock on the Falcons at all, but should 100% be a team that we beat pretty comfortably. I just don't know that we will. 

Yeah, they have played some pretty competitive football this season, better than their record shows IMO and I think their running game is underrated. That coupled with Armstead and Kinlaw missing, that could potentially be an issue. Not saying we don’t have talented players stepping in on the interior, but it does pose a challenge…..probably the best running team we have played thus far

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 2