Week 6 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons

J-ALL-DAY

at this juncture, given the amount of time he’s had, decisions made and general approach to his team, i don’t think “injuries” holes up in any of these losses. 49ers have a relatively healthy offense and have been completely horrific. and tbe teams they’ve lost too are just bad. Atlanta might actually be the best of them. 

I know it won’t happen, but if he misses the playoffs this year and doesn’t get right the following year, 24 should be make or break

30 minutes ago, John232 said:

at this juncture, given the amount of time he’s had, decisions made and general approach to his team, i don’t think “injuries” holes up in any of these losses. 49ers have a relatively healthy offense and have been completely horrific. and tbe teams they’ve lost too are just bad. Atlanta might actually be the best of them. 

I know it won’t happen, but if he misses the playoffs this year and doesn’t get right the following year, 24 should be make or break

Its a fairly reasonable stance to say that the offense was more responsible for this loss than the injuries. The defense wasn't to the level that we expect of it to be, but truthfully we are spoiled as hell. They still only gave up 21 points, which is kind of crazy. I think the injuries are a fairly easy thing to talk about because one, it's just more deflating, and two, it's something that we can point at and have an obvious solution to. We also get to act like its out of everyone's hands and consider it "luck" based  instead of just admitting that there may be something just straight up bad / wrong with this offense right now. 

But make no mistake, Shanny's offense is 100% fractured.  I don't want to say full on broken or anything, because we had opportunities and things are very different if people can just make some catches, but we've had a pretty soft schedule so far and we are barely top 20 in points per game. And again, thats a schedule that is soft as hell. I don't know if it's still just a period where things are coming together, but this offense is basically on par with the 2020 offense led by Mullens / Beathard. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Its a fairly reasonable stance to say that the offense was more responsible for this loss than the injuries. The defense wasn't to the level that we expect of it to be, but truthfully we are spoiled as hell. They still only gave up 21 points, which is kind of crazy. I think the injuries are a fairly easy thing to talk about because one, it's just more deflating, and two, it's something that we can point at and have an obvious solution to. We also get to act like its out of everyone's hands and consider it "luck" based  instead of just admitting that there may be something just straight up bad / wrong with this offense right now. 

But make no mistake, Shanny's offense is 100% fractured.  I don't want to say full on broken or anything, because we had opportunities and things are very different if people can just make some catches, but we've had a pretty soft schedule so far and we are barely top 20 in points per game. And again, thats a schedule that is soft as hell. I don't know if it's still just a period where things are coming together, but this offense is basically on par with the 2020 offense led by Mullens / Beathard. 

I was just thinking that the offense looked like 2020 when we had no one and we were force feeding our fullback half the game.  

I know we have some injuries on our offensive line, but pass protection was pretty dang solid all game.  It's the run game that is really hurting.  The top rusher(Wilson) yesterday had what?  25 yards?  Jimmy was tied for second highest with 11.  Read that again.  JIMMY G was tied for the second most rushing yards.

I know we were pretty much down 2 scores most of the game, but there was still PLENTY of football left to play our kind of ball.  With the talent on offense, we should be able to put up 30 points a game, no problem.  We couldn't even put up a field goal in the first, third, and fourth quarter?  Against the Falcons' defense?  That's inexcusable.  

• Like 2

Yeah this is the main reason why I’m always questioning Kyle. I know he’s a good coach and an offensive mind, but I just don’t understand how we struggle so much but we have talent on the offensive side. It can’t always be placed on Jimmy and the fact he doesn’t have his  “guy.” Supposedly Lance was his guy but our offense didn’t look good either. I know Kyle starts slow, but wow. Kyle didn’t trust him throwing as much either, hence the rushes, but at what point does Kyle need to bring someone in to either call plays or help with the creativity? It honestly seems like McDaniels was the creative mind when it comes to the run game at least. All we are running are slants, screens (a lot of em) and basic over the middle throws. Jimmy finally threw a corner route to Aiyuk but it came back. I don’t know, it’s frustrating. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

Yeah this is the main reason why I’m always questioning Kyle. I know he’s a good coach and an offensive mind, but I just don’t understand how we struggle so much but we have talent on the offensive side. It can’t always be placed on Jimmy and the fact he doesn’t have his  “guy.” Supposedly Lance was his guy but our offense didn’t look good either. I know Kyle starts slow, but wow. Kyle didn’t trust him throwing as much either, hence the rushes, but at what point does Kyle need to bring someone in to either call plays or help with the creativity? It honestly seems like McDaniels was the creative mind when it comes to the run game at least. All we are running are slants, screens (a lot of em) and basic over the middle throws. Jimmy finally threw a corner route to Aiyuk but it came back. I don’t know, it’s frustrating. 

The passing game is a direct result of the QB. We attack between the numbers becasue that's where Jimmy is more comfortable. He, and thus the passing offense becomes predictable, in a sense. We get away with it because the offense is very nuanced from a run game perspective and Kyle is very creative with how he builds off those run action/looks. But if you can stop the run, we're toast because 2nd/3rd and Longs are a complete crapshoot when you have QB who can't seem to recognize underneath defenders and only works well in one area of the field. That limits the targets available in that area of the field because you have to run clearing routes to help move defenders out of that area. It also limits how aggressive you can be because you have to make reads more define for Jimmy, to save him from himself. When we're running the ball effectively, it opens up the middle for play-action. When there's no play-action to draw defenders closer to the LOS scrimmage, opening up space underneath, you have Jimmy sitting in the pocket playing hot potato because he's jittery when receivers don't come open intially. Granted our receivers had two HUGE drops yesterday that could have changed two offensive drives. But that int that was intended for Deebo on that in-breaking route is typical of this offense in those situations. 

Lance was supposed to alleviate some of these issues, but this is the situation we are in. I can give Kyle a pass because right now the running game is lacking because of injuries in the RB room. And the run game is a conduit to the pass game in Shanny's scheme. And everytime we lose a O-Lineman, it's going to affect our ability to run the ball properly. It is what it is.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

Interesting tidbit  from an article on The Athletic. Jimmy talks about how he loved lifting and was able to get back into it this off-season.

https://theathletic.com/3691315/2022/10/15/jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-weight-lifting/ (paywall of course)

“In college I was obsessed with [lifting],” he said this week. “There was a little too much weightlifting. Once I got to the NFL, I had to tone it back a little bit. To throw every single day — you can’t be jacked up and rocked up. You have to be pliable and be able to do all these stretches and things.”

This season, however, has been different. This is the year Garoppolo returned to the weight room. His early March shoulder surgery meant he couldn’t do much upper-body work or any throwing for the next few months. So the 49ers quarterback worked on his bottom half in a way he hadn’t been able to do in his first seven years in the league.

“I got to lift a little more weights in the lower body, more running, dropbacks, things like that,” he said. “Yeah, I think it was kind of a blessing in disguise. I got to beef up in some areas and make the best of it.”

The extra muscle has helped him compensate for the shoulder surgery, which has led to more soreness and arm fatigue than he’s ever experienced before. But on some throws, he said, he actually has more zip this season. He attributes that to having a stronger base.

“Because I’m a ground thrower,” he said. “All my power comes from my legs and everything. Some guys are 6-(foot)-6 and they throw it like a baseball. I don’t have that ability. So I’ve got to transfer from the ground. So I think that does play a role. Some throws have more (zip), some have less. It all depends.”

He also talks about unexpected post-game arm soreness this season.

Was his arm ready? After his first start in Denver, he wasn’t sure. He’d never dealt with postgame arm soreness in his career. After his start in Denver, the arm was tired and in pain.

“I think the big thing is the amount of throws you do on game day — your warmup, pregame throws, in-the-game-throws, the sideline throws,” Garoppolo said. “Those add up. You’re actually doing almost double the amount in a game than in a practice.

“It’s hard to describe,” he continued. “Because you’re in the game and you’re so locked in that you don’t even notice, really. But after the game, you just feel it. I’ve never been sore after games from throwing. I’ve been sore for other reasons. But now, it just feels different.”

The arm still isn’t back all the way, he said. The good news is that there’s nothing structurally wrong with it and that it’s gotten less bothersome with every outing. Both his arm and the 49ers’ offense seem to be repairing themselves as the season progresses.

“It’s coming along,” he said. “That’s the best way to put it.”

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I remember Better Rivals specifically hating this pick (so say well all?) and giving Greg Cosell crap for buying into it. Early, but Banks has been a pleasant surprise. 

I was a fan in college, but I wondered about the fit athletically for the run game (his selection for true pass protection always made sense). I didn't mind the pick at the time, but his rookie year scared the hell out of me and I thought that pick was looking baaaaaaaaad. 24 year old rookie guards picked in the second round from ND you'd expect to be day one starters. Being inactive for half the season made it worse. I didn't have high hopes. 

But they did a really good job working on his physique, and maybe going back to his natural side helped. His feet are a lot better. He and Moore did a great job getting out in to the open and springing aiyuk for a TD on Sunday

He's looked really good. Especially in traditional pass sets as well

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW that holding call on Jake Brendel that wiped out the long Aiyuk completion...was he even holding? Because on replay it looked like Brendel just got whipsawed, and put on his butt. Didn't look like a hold at first blush. 

No it was a BS call. Both players tripped if anything. The announcers even mentioned it wasn’t a hold. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I remember Better Rivals specifically hating this pick (so say well all?) and giving Greg Cosell crap for buying into it. Early, but Banks has been a pleasant surprise. 

i’m going to toot my own horn and say i was one of the few that didn’t hate it. granted i did not pick him with my shadow pick, and if i did go OL i would have gone humphrey (which i think a lot did). i had him as a third rounder.

but i was completely out on him after he couldn’t even be active last year