State of the Steelers

warfelg

On 10/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, warfelg said:

QB: Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph 

Pickett is set.

Offer Rudolph a cheapish 2 year deal.   If he takes it, cut Trubisky.    If not, probably keep Trubisky, which wont matter because free agency is pretty meh next year.

Sign a UDFA QB.    Dont waste another late rounder like this past draft.

RB: Najee Harris, Jaylen Warren, Benny Snell, 

Najee will make or break his career next year.   Either way, he shouldnt be the feature back.  Warren will be back.   For the love of god....get rid of Snell.    Replace him with someone with some speed.   We havent had that in so long.

FB: Derek Watt

Hard to justify paying him thar money, even if a good special teamer.

WR: George Pickens, Diontae JohnsonChase Claypool, Steven Sims, Gunner Olszewski, Miles Boykin, Calvin Austin

Cut Gunner.

Try to trade either DJ or Claypool.

Beyond that, not much will change in 2023.

Do NOT draft another one this year.   Give Austin a chance.

TE: Pat Feiermuth, Zach Gentry, Connor Heyward

Doubt this changes in 23.

OT: Dan Moore, Chuks Okorafor, Trent Scott, Jesse Davis

Dan Moore is looking semi decent, but still a meh starter.     

Early pick for LT is likely.

OG: James Daniels, Kevin Dotson, Kendrick Green

Cut Green.   

Not much in free agency, so keep Daniels and Dotson and draft another G in mid rounds.

C: Mason Cole, JC Hassenauer

Could definitely use an improvement, but not a great year for center, it seems.   Plus Daniels could slide over.

Do defense another time.

@43M

Only thing I really disagree with is not cutting Trubisky…they save $8 mill if they cut him.

I wouldn’t mind on Rudolph on a cheapish 2/$5-6 mill deal overall…upper tier backup QBs are more in the $6+ mill area per season.

The OL has done ok so far but they’ll know more later in the season…needs an infusion of talent regardless wether it’s FA or the draft.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

@43M

Only thing I really disagree with is not cutting Trubisky…they save $8 mill if they cut him.

I wouldn’t mind on Rudolph on a cheapish 2/$5-6 mill deal overall…upper tier backup QBs are more in the $6+ mill area per season.

The OL has done ok so far but they’ll know more later in the season…needs an infusion of talent regardless wether it’s FA or the draft.

Im all in favor of cutting Trubisky.

My point was that if for some reason we cant retain Rudolph, they are going to want a vet backup behind Pickett, and keeping him may not really hurt us at all since we are unlikely to spend a ton in free agency, if only because free agency kinda sucks next year and we dont have any huge contracts coming up.

Not saying I want to keep him, but I wont be shocked either way.

This felt like a more appropriate place to put this rather than in the game day thread:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34782045/nfl-trade-deadline-proposals-2022-15-potential-offers-saquon-barkley-mitch-trubisky-david-montgomery

Packers get: WR Chase Claypool, 2024 seventh-round pick
Steelers get: WR Amari Rodgers, 2023 fourth-round pick

The writing is on the wall for Claypool, who still seems out of sorts in Pittsburgh. After looking like a budding star during his 2020 debut season, he took a step backward in 2021 and has been anonymous in the offense this season. He averaged just over 2.0 yards per route run as a rookie but fell to 1.7 yards per route run in 2021 and just 0.7 this season. The latter ranks 87th out of 92 wideouts.

Claypool's role might grow with Kenny Pickett taking over as the team's starting quarterback, but I'm not sure he has a long-term future in Pittsburgh. He is in the third season of his rookie deal, which means he's eligible for an extension next offseason and would be an unrestricted free agent the year after that. Diontae Johnson just signed a three-year extension, George Pickens is looming as Pittsburgh's latest exciting young wideout and tight end Pat Freiermuth has impressed when healthy. Claypool probably isn't on this roster in 2024, and the Steelers could use extra picks after they traded away their 2023 fifth- and sixth-round selections.

I don't want Amari Rodgers, but I agree with the thought process around Claypool. There's no long term future here and if the team is in a transitional phase in the headset for the offense, get more picks and clear roster clutter. Remove Rodgers from here as value fodder and move that draft pick up and I would be more interested. I'd rather hang onto Claypool, though, for an estimated late 3rd round pick. I would pull the trigger on a second. He just doesn't fit this offense, can't play X, Pickens is already a better Z/vertical threat, and Austin fits in here somewhere. 

And another one:

Broncos get: QB Mitch Trubisky
Steelers get: TE Albert Okwuegbunam

Two preseason hype machines go in different directions. Trubisky's time as the starter in Pittsburgh is over, and the 2017 first-rounder will likely be cut after the season, given his $8 million unguaranteed base salary in 2023. Russell Wilson already is dealing with a lat injury in Denver, and his backup is Brett Rypien, who threw four interceptions on 40 attempts in 2020. Trubisky isn't a starting-caliber quarterback, but his mobility makes him a passable backup if Wilson needs to miss time.

Okwuegbunam was a fantasy sleeper heading into 2022, but he has fallen down the tight end depth chart for the Broncos. He saw his snap counts drop in four straight weeks to begin the season, going from 67% in Week 1 to a lone snap in Week 4. Okwuegbunam was back up to 21% in Week 5, but the Broncos also activated second-round pick Greg Dulcich from injured reserve, which could cost Albert O his spot in the lineup. He would be a backup tight end for the Steelers behind Freiermuth, playing a similar role to what Eric Ebron did for Pittsburgh last season.

Meh, I would rather take a pick, but it's at least intriguing. Next year Gentry is a FA (i think he is back) and I could see them moving on from Watt and filling that roster space with a 4th TE (with Heyward filling the FB/move role). 

I kind of like both those trades. You're right about Amari Rodgers too. I'd rather just have a 3rd. I feel like we already have that type of WR on the roster in Austin. I like Okwuegbunam a lot and would jump at the chance to bring him in for Mitch. He's big and athletic. He might be nothing, but he's got the tools to be good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've always liked him. I don't know how much better he is than what we have, though. Not like that's a bad thing, I think our corners are pretty solid. I just don't know how much I'd be willing to give up. 

30 and only under contract thru next year at $15 mill cap hit for 2023.

Supposedly struggled last year though and I think he’s dinged up right now.

Id rather give up assets to a more of a longer term guy…Maybe Payne who is a FA at end of this year.

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

30 and only under contract thru next year at $15 mill cap hit for 2023.

Supposedly struggled last year though and I think he’s dinged up right now.

Id rather give up assets to a more of a longer term guy…Maybe Payne who is a FA at end of this year.

Yowza, I can't believe he's already that old. It seems like yesterday we all wanted him and got Artie Burns instead. I'm in big time agreement about Payne. I want one of those Bama DTs bad. 

I was just randomly thinking of trades and a name came to mind that I think actually could be a valuable piece on the market by the deadline:

Cam Sutton. 

On the last year of his deal. Is a good player who can move all around and be a swiss army knife to your defensive backfield. He isn't a CB1, but he is a dude who could fit a lot of defenses looking to make deep playoff runs. Outside, nickel, dime, safety. My guess would be a 4th is the best you could get, but still, that's decent return for a dude who may not be here (but I kinda hope he is). 

21 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I was just randomly thinking of trades and a name came to mind that I think actually could be a valuable piece on the market by the deadline:

Cam Sutton. 

On the last year of his deal. Is a good player who can move all around and be a swiss army knife to your defensive backfield. He isn't a CB1, but he is a dude who could fit a lot of defenses looking to make deep playoff runs. Outside, nickel, dime, safety. My guess would be a 4th is the best you could get, but still, that's decent return for a dude who may not be here (but I kinda hope he is). 

I’d rather sign him to be the main slot guy but that’s just me.

• Like 3