State of the Steelers

warfelg

35 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Drafting Heath.  I said before hand on a now defunct forum that he was a top 15 player in that draft and a 10 year 2 way TE.  Everyone hated the pick because he didn’t work out.

I was cautiously optimistic with the pick. I remember his sports hernia being worrisome to some. What great pick he turned out to be. 

Big Ben for me. Watching 20+ years of terrible QB play, I was stoked. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, August4th said:

yeah, no way ben falls to 11 in this era's draft. I bet he goes number 1 ahead of eli and Rivers due to his mobility if that 04 class was the 24 class. I think ben would've transferred to a school like Ohio state his final yr and shows out against tougher competition.

I agree with you for mostly everything besides Ben going #1. Eli was thought to be a generational talent, set a bunch of SEC records, and his older brother had just gone 4500+ 49TD 10int with the Colts. I think Ben most definitely goes #2 overall if the draft was today though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

How the hell does not only the idea we are trading up with this specific team but for the exact player leak out like this 2 days before the draft?

Likely that came from someone from the Broncos. I would bet that the Steelers made a framework for this if Mitchell were there and then someone who thought leaking it would get them favor did it.

24 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

2nd would have been better or a 2nd this year then another pick next year etc....

If this WR class is deep, then SF are probably looking at getting WR with the pick.  

not sure what to make of this, a bit costly  but the player is proven. I was hoping for OT and C to be RD1 and RD2 and the OL set for years but wait and see

That doesn't give SF very good negotiation power either though. If teams generally feel this is a deep WR class (generally means starting talent can be had later), why would the Steelers (or someone else for that matter) trade a 1st for a WR if you can get someone in the 2nd or 3rd and have more years of control. I get that Aiyuk is more of a sure thing, but FA and traded players have failed when moving to a new system/team also.

That's part of the reason I wouldn't do a 1st for Aiyuk. The other part is we don't necessarily need a WR1. We need a WR2/3.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

That doesn't give SF very good negotiation power either though. If teams generally feel this is a deep WR class (generally means starting talent can be had later), why would the Steelers (or someone else for that matter) trade a 1st for a WR if you can get someone in the 2nd or 3rd and have more years of control. I get that Aiyuk is more of a sure thing, but FA and traded players have failed when moving to a new system/team also.

That's part of the reason I wouldn't do a 1st for Aiyuk. The other part is we don't necessarily need a WR1. We need a WR2/3.

as long as GP delivers and stays healthy, I am in agreement with you.  This could be costly if for some reason Aiyuk doesn't get the production here as expected.  Or if say GP just takes off anyways now that he actually has an OC AND a QB o.O

It could be win win to a degree, but for smiths offence and my preference, get the OL fixed for a change. I think it's been about 6 years now since it was good?  Not sure I can handle another year of a tomlin OL. 

Don't you consider anyone on the roster a WR2? Or are  they stop gap WR3 types again?

who would you like for the first 3 picks in the draft and which UFAs left would you sign?

your avatar commands  respectB|

32 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

as long as GP delivers and stays healthy, I am in agreement with you.  This could be costly if for some reason Aiyuk doesn't get the production here as expected.  Or if say GP just takes off anyways now that he actually has an OC AND a QB o.O

It could be win win to a degree, but for smiths offence and my preference, get the OL fixed for a change. I think it's been about 6 years now since it was good?  Not sure I can handle another year of a tomlin OL. 

Don't you consider anyone on the roster a WR2? Or are  they stop gap WR3 types again?

who would you like for the first 3 picks in the draft and which UFAs left would you sign?

your avatar commands  respectB|

😂 Yes, I am liking this new avatar since coming back (previously had JuJu, who was polarizing I know, but I liked him).

From what we have SEEN from the guys on the roster, I think we have more WR3 types. Watkins has shown WR2 previously in his career (maybe lower end WR2) and I think Austin has a chance at WR2 level play, but we haven't seen it.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

How the hell does not only the idea we are trading up with this specific team but for the exact player leak out like this 2 days before the draft?

I don’t see it.  Now if they said Odunze I’d be more inclined to believe it some.

42 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I don’t see it.  Now if they said Odunze I’d be more inclined to believe it some.

Maybe they are getting the framework for a deal done in case Odunze falls.

Tony Pauline is no hack. He’s the first one who reported the DJ trade. Omar wanting to trade up for a guy they are in love with doesn’t surprise me. That guy being a CB would. 

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1782887201971294274?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Allbright, who doesn’t miss on Broncos stuff, is not shooting it down. Almost confirming it in a way.