State of the Steelers

warfelg

The Steelers aren’t trading for or signing any WR that right now would cost anywhere near 30 mill per annum. To me, it’s Courtland Sutton or nothing. 

On 6/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, warfelg said:

This is the dumbest back and forth. 

You could have highlighted what was wrong and said “it was actually 2020 that was the 50-whatever and 2021 was 71”. You chose to write “I put that all there because you were wrong.” Not that hard to politely point to the mistake rather than make it a dragged out issue by just telling someone they are wrong. 

That’s all I’ll say on it. End of the day Chinn has one season he was “better” than Elliott on roughly the same number of career snaps. I said whoop de do to the counting numbers because that’s very role dependent and surrounding role dependent. So many people consider Minkahs worst two years to be the ones he’s had the most tackles and plays like that while his best ones have half the tackles. Being low in receptions allowed doesn’t mean much to me. 29 receptions allowed, is meaningless without his targets. In 2021 he allowed a 65% completion rate. That equates to 45 targets on the season. So 29th in receptions allowed and 25th in targets? He was also t-46th in INTs

It was the dumbest back and forth. Especially since the original post was me stating that I wondered why he passed and went to Washington. How was I supposed to know you looked up the wrong year? What you put was wrong. Own it. 

53 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

It was the dumbest back and forth. Especially since the original post was me stating that I wondered why he passed and went to Washington. How was I supposed to know you looked up the wrong year? What you put was wrong. Own it. 

Jesus man. I owned it 3 times. Get over it.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Jesus man. I owned it 3 times. Get over it.

Get over what?  I don't care that you looked at the wrong year. The point was, the year that was overlooked was the year he did well when his team provided respectable pressure which coincides with my belief that he would do well in the Joker role with us. I don't recall being overly emotional about it and any retort was due to inaccurate statements. 

1 minute ago, rlon said:

I don’t really think it’s clear that he is a top 5 receiver in the nfl. I wouldn’t even pay him 26 right now. How did people think the Steelers would? 

First off, he absolutely slots into the $30MM AAV slot. He slots above Waddle ($28MM AAV) and St Brown (just north of $30MM).  Putting him at $26MM or lower means you are putting him at the DeVontae Smith, DK Metcalf, Nico Collins level, which I put him easily above.

Only way to know if the Steelers would pay that much is if they still try to inquire.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Get over what?  I don't care that you looked at the wrong year. The point was, the year that was overlooked was the year he did well when his team provided respectable pressure which coincides with my belief that he would do well in the Joker role with us. I don't recall being overly emotional about it and any retort was due to inaccurate statements. 

Clearly you care that I looked at the wrong year by accident because you keep bringing it up.

And I don’t think it’s ‘overlooked’ as much as people just look at it as the anomaly year. He has 3/4 years as a much lower performances. You can tie that to pass rush as much as you want and believe that with our pass rush he would do better, but I just wouldn’t be so enthused by a guy playing a certain role that’s highly reliant on good pass rush to be a decent player.

Because I was curious I rejoined PFF:

2020: 59 over, 47 run defense, 64 coverage, 62 pass rush

2021: 71.4 over, 62.5 run defense, 74.3 coverage, 63.1 pass rush 

2022: 54.9 overall, 43.2 run defense, 58 coverage, 67.8 pass rush

2023: 57.7 overall, 68.1 run defense, 51.6 coverage, 58.4 pass rush

AVERAGES: 60.75 overall, 55.2 run defense, 61.97 coverage, 62.8 pass rush

Elliott:

2019: 69.7 overall, 66.6 run defense, 62.8 coverage, 74.3 pass rush (40 total snaps)

2020: 66.6 overall, 69.3 run defense, 66.2 coverage, 55.7 pass rush

2021: 65.6 overall, 66.2 run defense, 61.7 coverage, 70.1 pass rush

2022: 66.5 overall, 66.5 run defense, 64.1 coverage, 64.6 pass rush

2023: 72.6 overall, 87.3 run defense, 64.1 coverage, 66.9 pass rush

AVERAGES: 68.2 overall, 71.2 run defense, 63.8 coverage, 66.32 pass rush

I’ll give that he had a nice coverage spike year when he got pass rush, but overall Elliott has been far more consistent across the board.

Just because I was curious:

Terrell Edmunds Average while here: 64.6 overall, 55.4 run defense, 67.8 coverage, 56.9 pass rush

Edited by warfelg

But anyways as for things that matter:

Cam talked a bit recently about really studying power lifters, their form, how the leverage, and how they work out. He believes since his game is based more on power than finesse and speed that he can last 3 more years. I really like this since most power lifters (the guys with a gut) can have long careers doing so. It’s really a technique driven discipline there you need to be perfectly sound to get the move right.

I really think Cam’s going to age well these last few years. I think best from him is you get a still top 10 run defender who can give you pass rush effort reps. Worst case is he becomes a rotational IDL who’s a run down guy.

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Clearly you care that I looked at the wrong year by accident because you keep bringing it up.

And I don’t think it’s ‘overlooked’ as much as people just look at it as the anomaly year. He has 3/4 years as a much lower performances. You can tie that to pass rush as much as you want and believe that with our pass rush he would do better, but I just wouldn’t be so enthused by a guy playing a certain role that’s highly reliant on good pass rush to be a decent player.

I'm not bringing it up. You keep bringing it up. I'm responding to you. I don't even know why you keep bringing it up. I already said I didn't care you got the wrong year. Easy mistake. THE POINT is, that is the year I would hope corelates to what he could do here. I wanted to be sure the numbers were right. That's it. And a Joker role that is primarily a run stopper but can add some coverage would be heavily reliant on pass rush. You like Elliott. I'm not as high on him. I see him as a well-rounded average player. I like the physicality Chinn brings. You don't appear to think he can do anything better than Elliott and you prefer the balance Elliott provides. Fine. No problem. There's no point arguing opinions. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

But anyways as for things that matter:

Cam talked a bit recently about really studying power lifters, their form, how the leverage, and how they work out. He believes since his game is based more on power than finesse and speed that he can last 3 more years. I really like this since most power lifters (the guys with a gut) can have long careers doing so. It’s really a technique driven discipline there you need to be perfectly sound to get the move right.

I really think Cam’s going to age well these last few years. I think best from him is you get a still top 10 run defender who can give you pass rush effort reps. Worst case is he becomes a rotational IDL who’s a run down guy.

He is the Steeler's best run defender by far and still one of their top Dlinemen.  Injuries is what would worry me with older players

• Like 1