State of the Steelers

warfelg

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

2 year extension, $40MM in new money, $30mm total GTD (convert base to signing, add $10mm to it) all in the first two years (24, 25). 

Fair for all sides. 

What is the damage if the Steelers want to get out before year 3? That is my question…

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

It looks good but the others around him play as 3 techs in 4-3 alignments.  Benson is a 3 tech that is not a run defender.  I would rather have DJ Reder beside him and worry less.

Or a healthy Cam Heyward. I think if Cam’s healthy(I know I know), Benton blows up next year. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Or a healthy Cam Heyward. I think if Cam’s healthy(I know I know), Benton blows up next year. 

epends on how they apply Benton. I expect him to have a good season, but it does help if the players next to him on the DL are good too.  If Benton is stuck playing next to leal and loudermilk, then wait another year .

Is Heyward getting a new deal or going to hit UFA?

15 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Wouldn't be upset about it, but would be happy with a 2nd rounder and Washington. The alternative is that you wait until after this season, worst case have a higher 1st round pick and a decent shot at signing him after the season.

I get the draw, just hesitant to invest a 1st rounder for a guy that the 49ers have little leverage over atm.

10 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Wouldn't be upset about it, but would be happy with a 2nd rounder and Washington. The alternative is that you wait until after this season, worst case have a higher 1st round pick and a decent shot at signing him after the season.

I get the draw, just hesitant to invest a 1st rounder for a guy that the 49ers have little leverage over atm.

I am hesitant as well. I would be very concerned the money. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I’d like to see Connor Heyward in there over Washington. If you trade Washington you don’t have a blocking TE. That leaves (basically) Muth, Heyward, and Pruitt. So 1 move TE and 2 H-backs. Not a good move for a team about to play a lot of 12 with a run first attitude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

No.

To elaborate....Aiyuk IMO is becoming overrated.   He will demand top 5 money on top of giving up a young TE with upside and a 1st rd pick for a really good, but not elite WR who has made his name under arguably the best offensive mind in football and is coming to a team with (likely) extremely mediocre QB play that will probably be very run heavy.

At this point, I dont want Aiyuk at all (in 2024, at least).   Id rather see what we have in Pickens this year, and then start looking at whats available next offseason.

Even with Aiyuk, this team isnt going to be a serious contender in 2024.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

No.

To elaborate....Aiyuk IMO is becoming overrated.   He will demand top 5 money on top of giving up a young TE with upside and a 1st rd pick for a really good, but not elite WR who has made his name under arguably the best offensive mind in football and is coming to a team with (likely) extremely mediocre QB play that will probably be very run heavy.

At this point, I dont want Aiyuk at all (in 2024, at least).   Id rather see what we have in Pickens this year, and then start looking at whats available next offseason.

who are you seeing as the contenders? 

I don't buy into the hype of many teams.   Baltimore for example, lots of changes and they didn't do much last year.  

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

not elite WR who has made his name under arguably the best offensive mind in football and is coming to a team with (likely) extremely mediocre QB play that will probably be very run heavy.

Only part I disagree with is the elite part. He’s an elite route runner and has highly reliable hands. Also for reference the Niners are a VERY heavy run first team. 

Also my hill is Purdy is overrated. 

Anyways. Agree with everything you say except I still would want him. Mostly because if fields or Russ works were golden. And if not we know the one position we should give up the house for. 

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Only part I disagree with is the elite part. He’s an elite route runner and has highly reliable hands. Also for reference the Niners are a VERY heavy run first team. 

Also my hill is Purdy is overrated. 

Anyways. Agree with everything you say except I still would want him. Mostly because if fields or Russ works were golden. And if not we know the one position we should give up the house for. 

Purdy is probably a system QB, but he fits that system very well.

Aiyuk would be a nice fit, but for a 1st rd pick and $30m/season....with Russell Wilson and/or Justin Fields in a first year offense?

To each their own, but I dont think thats a wise investment AT THIS POINT.   

If Aiyuk is available next offseason and we dont have to give up a 1st to get him?    Sure, Id probably be fine with that.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

No.

We're one the same page. I do think that it's an accurate estimate as far as the price. I wouldn't want to pay it but as stated, I worry more about the price to keep him than the price to get him.