State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Purdy is probably a system QB, but he fits that system very well.

Aiyuk would be a nice fit, but for a 1st rd pick and $30m/season....with Russell Wilson and/or Justin Fields in a first year offense?

To each their own, but I dont think thats a wise investment AT THIS POINT.   

If Aiyuk is available next offseason and we dont have to give up a 1st to get him?    Sure, Id probably be fine with that.

So I agree on the first. A 2nd is what I’m comfortable at because of needing to extend him. Typically when guys need to be extended their trade value takes a hit, but I still see it as the cost of negotiating rights. 

I think that he is the perfect fit for this offense, and I’m starting to look at QB as though married to the style, not the name, so I’m not super concerned there. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

So I agree on the first. A 2nd is what I’m comfortable at because of needing to extend him. Typically when guys need to be extended their trade value takes a hit, but I still see it as the cost of negotiating rights. 

I think that he is the perfect fit for this offense, and I’m starting to look at QB as though married to the style, not the name, so I’m not super concerned there. 

Im not entirely sure what this means, but I look at WR similarly to how I looked at RB.   I didn't want a huge investment at RB because we had no OL.    Its not an apples to apples comparison, but I dont really want to invest $30m + a 1RP into a 26 YO vet WR when we dont have a dependable QB, because there is a good chance we may not find  a QB while Aiyuk is on the team.   

You can hope and pray Wilson or Fields are the answer, but if they arent (and lets face it, they probably aren't), then you have to wait until at least 2026 to get a QB unless you take a flyer on a 2nd or 3rd RP, and even then, you have no idea where we wil be picking or how that class will be.

Again....if you took away the part where we give up the first rounder, OR we already had a decent established QB....I would be on board.   As it stands, I just think its too risky.   Perhaps if I had more faith in Wilson or Fields going forward, I would feel differently.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Im not entirely sure what this means,

I think this mobile running deep shot taking type QB is what was wanted, Russ and Fields may be it, but I think they are just someone to plug in and fits that style while you look for the long term answer. 

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont really want to invest $30m + a 1RP into a 26 YO vet WR when we dont have a dependable QB, because there is a good chance we may not find  a QB while Aiyuk is on the team.

I mean, you can kinda say that about anyone on the team, no? 

Would you prefer paying him $35m on the open market though? Most likely this comes down to $30m for Aiyuk or $32-33m for Pickens TBH. I would love both because I think they complement each other but that won’t happen unless we nail a rookie wage QB. 

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

if you took away the part where we give up the first rounder, OR we already had a decent established QB

Agreed. But I’m comfortable with a 2nd. If it’s a first I hope we’re getting like a 2nd or 3rd back. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

i mean, you can kinda say that about anyone on the team, no? 

Not really.   Its not paying in general I have a problem with.   Its paying ON TOP OF giving up a first round pick....and in this case, its doing that for a player whose success is highly dependent on the QB we have.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Would you prefer paying him $35m on the open market though? Most likely this comes down to $30m for Aiyuk or $32-33m for Pickens TBH. I would love both because I think they complement each other but that won’t happen unless we nail a rookie wage QB. 

I agree.   Both would be fantastic.

It all comes back to that first rounder.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

If Aiyuk is available next offseason and we dont have to give up a 1st to get him?    Sure, Id probably be fine with that.

That’s what I think about it too. We have to give up two good assets for a guy, then sign him to a mega deal, give him a weird off-season getting into an offense. That’s too much. Just sign him for the mega contract next year, keep the 1st and a hopefully improving TE. That seems like better asset management to me.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw one about Calvin Austin that was the exact same style. It seems like they’re trying to fire up some guys down to their last strike. 

it gets to be an annual event, the training camp champ that can't ever start or even make the roster later on.   Leal was terrible and shouldn't be on the roster. On a 4-3 DE scheme he might be decent, but he was terrible last year and admitted he was out of shape. How do you get out of shape as pro athlete in your early 20's? 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Not really.   Its not paying in general I have a problem with.   Its paying ON TOP OF giving up a first round pick....and in this case, its doing that for a player whose success is highly dependent on the QB we have.

I agree.   Both would be fantastic.

It all comes back to that first rounder.

I have a problem with the first rounder too. So not sure why you keep saying that. 

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That would be amazing.  Either Tomlin or Khan had said they do not expect anything from Holcomb this year.

IIRC it was Khan. But yea. That’s a pleasant surprise. I think that it has been really weird to not know what exactly was wrong. Hopefully someone asks when he’s practicing again so has to do media. 

let Holcomb take his time getting back, no need to rush and reinjure . I never saw the injury but  from what I read it was gruesome.  The ILB room appears to be nearing a strength on this team rather than the usual question mark.  As long as the injuries can stop that is 

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so...

https://x.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1801334524996902999

And this:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1801369983924244727?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

I wonder if we could see a 2024 line of:

Jones-Semu-Frazier-Daniels-Fautanu

2025:

Jones-Semu/Anderson-Frazier-Anderson/McCormick-Fautanu